Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Personal Statement Request

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrThom, Apr 29, 2004.

1. DrThom

DrThom Thundercat
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hey Guys,

I am in the middle of trying to get together my personal statement and I am having a little bit of a problem. I don't know in what direction I want to take my statement yet. I was wondering if anybody would be willing to PM me their personal statement so I can at least get a sense of what direction I should head.

I know that there are websites with sample statements on them but those usually have extraordinary circumstances (like "My father went through a brutal and agonizing death and this is what led me to medicine"). I don't have anything like this, I just always wanted to do this.

Again, I would appreciate it if anyone could PM me their statement. Thanks guys.

2. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just answer the question. what made you want to be a doc...why?
    everyone's style is going to be different...as well their circumstances...
    then after you have something...even if you think it sucks...you can get it reviewed then and get some comments about the direction you decided to take.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DrThom

DrThom Thundercat
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I know that is the main thing that needs to be answered. My reason for asking is this. For almost all major essay I had to write in college, I always did better if I read some other examples of the essay. I never copied, my work was always original, but I just had a firmer foundation upon which to write the essay. I am treating this no different, so thank you to those who PMed some some examples. They are really great. However, keep em coming. Thanks guys

BUMP

4. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree that the PS is so individual. I tell you some of the ones I have read.--- Also if you like samples, Barron's has one filled with 50 sample essays.

I am non-trad so I needed to reconcile my desire to study medicine with my previous career (law). A good friend of mine also had to do the same (he is a paramedic). For example, my friend wrote about a time that he brought someone back to life. You do not have to be dramatic and certainly don't lie. Find what is unique about yourself and write about that.

I agree I have read many essays about dramatic events. In fact many essays tend to fall into three catefories: (1) a friend, family member or the individual themself who has ill or injured; (2) a dramatic life changing event like delivering a child in an elevator: (3) my parents are doctors so I have always wanted to be one as well.

What is your background?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Bedpan Commando

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Would any of you suggest any books to help with writing the personal statement?