yzf600

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
Indiana
Status
Would it look bad if I used some sarcasm on my PS?

My family has gone through some tough situations (health related)....almost one after the other.

I want to throw in some sarcasm and almost joke about it.....kinda give it a positive spin.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Only if it's done in a Triumpth-the-insult-comic-dog way:

My grandmother had excellent health... FOR ME TO POOP ON!

yzf600 said:

My family has gone through some tough situations (health related)....almost one after the other.

I want to throw in some sarcasm and almost joke about it.....kinda give it a positive spin.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
You need to be careful, sarcasm might be hard to read in print. And not everybody gets sarcasm, so I would probably just leave it out. Isn't there some other way to put a positive spin on a bad situation without using sarcasm?

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
yzf600 said:

it could be interpreted of lack of compassion and joking about the sick. I'd leave it out because it could make you look really bad. :thumbdown: There's plenty of ways to put a positive spin on a situation without resorting to sarcasm.

Christo1

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Careful with sarcasm as it's sometimes hard to interpret in text. Sarcasm generally has not only to do with what you say, but how you say it. The way you read your PS may not be the way the ADCOMS will read it. It's certainly possible that they may miss the sarcastic tone at first, or all together entirely. I would try reading the snip in question with a serious tone in order to spot potential sources of misunderstanding.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah I think it's not a risk worth taking unless you are a really skilled writer. If you are- go for it. It may make your essay memorable.

Christo1 said:
Careful with sarcasm as it's sometimes hard to interpret in text. Sarcasm generally has not only to do with what you say, but how you say it. The way you read your PS may not be the way the ADCOMS will read it. It's certainly possible that they may miss the sarcastic tone at first, or all together entirely. I would try reading the snip in question with a serious tone in order to spot potential sources of misunderstanding.

Christo1

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Schaden Freud said:
Yeah I think it's not a risk worth taking unless you are a really skilled writer. If you are- go for it. It may make your essay memorable.
I aggree. You see people here on SDN all the time taking what was a sarcastic comment seriously and going off on it.

OP
Y

yzf600

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
Indiana
Status
thanks for the quick replies.........time to do some editing :oops:

Rocket3004

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, sarcasm CAN be hard to pick up in text when you are *NOT* talking like Chandler from Friends! :laugh: :thumbup: