Personal statement - Stick literally to the prompt or talk about achievements/skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpt1029

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have been meeting with a personal statement editor (free through my school's academic advising service) and I am running into issues. I'm currently working under the assumption that the prompt for this coming cycle will be the same as last year.

“Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that “help” others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experiences with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career.”

My current draft focuses on my second main experience in PT -- I had a personal experience that required me to go through about 2 years of rehab/PT. It IS "beyond my first experience" because my first experiences in PT was just standard outpatient for some sports stuff as a kid. I mentioned this experience to an admissions counselor at my top choice school and she told me that it was a very good choice of an experience to write about.

My academic counselor keeps pushing me to write a different essay and like, "show the admissions counselor's the skills I would bring to PT that I have learned through a work experience/similar".

Like "I want to do PT because I was a tutor and have skills teaching people and PT involves teaching people, so I would make a good PT" or "My time as a PT intern taught me to have a good work ethic and a PT needs that therefore I would make a good PT". and it is all making me feel really confused. Most articles I find online say to stick with the prompt, but the person I am working with at school is a Profesional(tm) who does this for Pre-PT students every single year (and my undergrad school is a big health science school, so there are a lot of ore PTs here) so she probably knows what she is talking about? If she was just a random person I'd ignore her advice but because she has experience and authority I am confused and unsure.

Am I interpreting the prompt too literally? Is my academic counselor correct? I guess ideally I could do both but the 4500 character count is just not enough for that........ I have been working on this for several months now and I just don't know what direction to take :/

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I have been meeting with a personal statement editor (free through my school's academic advising service) and I am running into issues. I'm currently working under the assumption that the prompt for this coming cycle will be the same as last year.

My current draft focuses on my second main experience in PT -- I had a personal experience that required me to go through about 2 years of rehab/PT. It IS "beyond my first experience" because my first experiences in PT was just standard outpatient for some sports stuff as a kid. I mentioned this experience to an admissions counselor at my top choice school and she told me that it was a very good choice of an experience to write about.

My academic counselor keeps pushing me to write a different essay and like, "show the admissions counselor's the skills I would bring to PT that I have learned through a work experience/similar".

Like "I want to do PT because I was a tutor and have skills teaching people and PT involves teaching people, so I would make a good PT" or "My time as a PT intern taught me to have a good work ethic and a PT needs that therefore I would make a good PT". and it is all making me feel really confused. Most articles I find online say to stick with the prompt, but the person I am working with at school is a Profesional(tm) who does this for Pre-PT students every single year (and my undergrad school is a big health science school, so there are a lot of ore PTs here) so she probably knows what she is talking about? If she was just a random person I'd ignore her advice but because she has experience and authority I am confused and unsure.

Am I interpreting the prompt too literally? Is my academic counselor correct? I guess ideally I could do both but the 4500 character count is just not enough for that........ I have been working on this for several months now and I just don't know what direction to take :/

Thanks in advance
I would make sure that no matter what you answer the prompt. Don't spend the whole essay describing being in PT because then the essay isn't really about you. Briefly mention what got you interested in PT (the sports stuff) and the two year ordeal, but then add in what confirmed it -- this should ideally highlight your positive traits, so it can be that you enjoy tutoring -- just make sure it relates back to PT and isn't just reiterating your resume. The admissions committee will see that stuff elsewhere in your application.

I would make sure that no matter what you answer the prompt. Don't spend the whole essay describing being in PT because then the essay isn't really about you. Briefly mention what got you interested in PT (the sports stuff) and the two year ordeal, but then add in what confirmed it -- this should ideally highlight your positive traits, so it can be that you enjoy tutoring -- just make sure it relates back to PT and isn't just reiterating your resume. The admissions committee will see that stuff elsewhere in your application.

OK thanks. I think I just feel really overwhelmed by the essay because I know it is such a big part of my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed! The essay is to showcase YOU - the other stuff can be found in other places in the application. Make sure you always answer the prompt but you can draw from other experiences if that applies