Personal Statement: Too Personal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasteroftheSun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question as to what to include in my personal statement. If something happened to a member of my immediate family (i.e. serious addiction) while in I was college, is this something to include if it affected my undergrad grades? It is a long and upsetting story but worry that AdComs will judge me and my family. If so what do you think is a good way to incorporate this?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You could mention it briefly but don't make it into a sob story. Don't get too distracted with it; you're answering the question "why medicine?", not making excuses.

I would do everything you could to raise your gpa before applying. ADCOM's won't care why it is low. Take a couple years to raise it before applying. Most schools have filters so they might not even read your personal statement. Focus on medicne for your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the addiction story is part of why you want to go into medicine then include it, but if it is not, then quickly mention it in order to show what caused you to get bad grades.

I did a well known SMP since I finished undergrad and had about a 3.8 GPA in the program.

Backstory: I applied 2 years in a row without any interviews except a "courtesy" interview at my parents' alma mater. I got 8 MD interviews and 7+ DO interviews this year after stopping using my committee letter and changing my essay.

My postbacc premed adviser told me I should discuss any causes for low grades in my AMCAS essay. Two years in a row I followed this advice. The 3rd year, after I began working at another med school and became quite friendly w/ several people who had sat on the adcom, I decided to discuss my dificulties w/ these med profs. One of the things I was advised to do was to remove any "excuses" from my AMCAS essay. And now I wholeheartedly agree. You have 1 chance to sell yourself. You don't walk into a job interview and say "well I don't know how to do X Y Z, but I have skills A B and C" if you want the job. NO, you go in there and you tell them how great you are at "A B and C" and when they ask specifically you discuss how motivated you are to learn X Y and Z.

Med school apps, I now believe, should be handled much the same way. On the AMCAS, you are telling them only good stuff--tell them about the A B C that makes you great and special and fabulous. Sell yourself.

On nearly every 2ndary, there is then a specific spot where it asks about hardships and unique circumstances. THAT is where you discuss your problems, and you make sure to spin it positively. Your family member distracted you with addiction, for instance, but that experience has now prepared you to handle similar situations better in the future--you will be better at notifying your profs and seeking help from the administration earlier and before things get out of hand for you if you face an unexpected burden. You won't wait til your academics spin out of control to inform the school and seek support. Whatever the lesson is that you learned, let them know.

Some schools don't take your grades to committee after you've gotten an interview, but they might take your AMCAS essay. At such a school, the reviewers at the final adcom are left with a big question mark about what you are talking about...was it a C or 2, or did you practically fail out of school?! I didn't even know this until after meeting with some med school admissions deans regarding my rejections...they said that until the last paragraph of my essay, I sounded like the 45 MCAT 4.0 GPA student...and then "Kathunk," and it wasn't for lack of eloquence...it was all the content.

Good Luck!

Backstory: I applied 2 years in a row without any interviews except a "courtesy" interview at my parents' alma mater. I got 8 MD interviews and 7+ DO interviews this year after stopping using my committee letter and changing my essay.

Elsewhere you stated that the dean of a medical school had advised you to stop using your committee letter. Something tells me there was something unusual and bad in that letter, and so this says nothing about whether committee letters are normally problematic, nor if removing excuses from your personal statement was significant...

My postbacc premed adviser told me I should discuss any causes for low grades in my AMCAS essay. Two years in a row I followed this advice. The 3rd year, after I began working at another med school and became quite friendly w/ several people who had sat on the adcom, I decided to discuss my dificulties w/ these med profs. One of the things I was advised to do was to remove any "excuses" from my AMCAS essay. And now I wholeheartedly agree. You have 1 chance to sell yourself. You don't walk into a job interview and say "well I don't know how to do X Y Z, but I have skills A B and C" if you want the job. NO, you go in there and you tell them how great you are at "A B and C" and when they ask specifically you discuss how motivated you are to learn X Y and Z.

Couldn't this be a matter of presenting it in the correct tone? You don't want to imply that what happened totally excuses poor performance, but you also need to account for what happened, how it caused you to mature, and why it won't happen again. Otherwise they're left to guess at why you did poorly during X period, and are left to reach their own conclusions about your character/motivation.

On nearly every 2ndary, there is then a specific spot where it asks about hardships and unique circumstances. THAT is where you discuss your problems, and you make sure to spin it positively. Your family member distracted you with addiction, for instance, but that experience has now prepared you to handle similar situations better in the future--you will be better at notifying your profs and seeking help from the administration earlier and before things get out of hand for you if you face an unexpected burden. You won't wait til your academics spin out of control to inform the school and seek support. Whatever the lesson is that you learned, let them know.

Some schools screen pre-secondary though, don't they? I guess in that case it would depend on if the story behind the lapse is compelling and/or fits into the rest of your story.

Some schools don't take your grades to committee after you've gotten an interview, but they might take your AMCAS essay. At such a school, the reviewers at the final adcom are left with a big question mark about what you are talking about...was it a C or 2, or did you practically fail out of school?! I didn't even know this until after meeting with some med school admissions deans regarding my rejections...they said that until the last paragraph of my essay, I sounded like the 45 MCAT 4.0 GPA student...and then "Kathunk," and it wasn't for lack of eloquence...it was all the content.

Good Luck!

Now I'm mostly confused. I've heard the opposite advice many times, but I guess it would depend on if they can see your academic record in the final decision, or if the reason for the low grades otherwise caused you to grow as a person. In either of those cases I would think it would be good to account for it in the PS. I can see where having to struggle with a family member with addiction would greatly increase one's enthusiasm for medicine and empathy towards others and that would make a gripping and relevant snapshot in ones personal statement.

An excuse for poor performance is a red flag... how do we know that similar situation will not arise again and cause you to do poorly in med school? (Relapses happen.)

A second consideration, when dealing with something that could be considered stigmitizing, is that you are using your PS to publicize some very personal information about a family member. Yes, the adcom may judge you as someone who can not keep personal information about someone else private and confidential.

The AMCAS instructions state (for the personal statement):
In addition, you may wish to include information such as:
• Special hardships, challenges or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits.
• Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record that are not explained elsewhere in your application.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2010instructions041509.pdf
page 77.

I am confused...it seems there are people arguing on either side on whether to explain grades in the essay...anyone else have any ideas?

Elsewhere you stated that the dean of a medical school had advised you to stop using your committee letter. Something tells me there was something unusual and bad in that letter, and so this says nothing about whether committee letters are normally problematic, nor if removing excuses from your personal statement was significant...

Couldn't this be a matter of presenting it in the correct tone? You don't want to imply that what happened totally excuses poor performance, but you also need to account for what happened, how it caused you to mature, and why it won't happen again. Otherwise they're left to guess at why you did poorly during X period, and are left to reach their own conclusions about your character/motivation.

Well, I have no doubt that I presented in the right tone. I am confident that my essay was extremely well written (I have writing awards in spite of being an engineer). The same dean who discussed my committee letter with me ALSO suggested I consider dismissing my advisers advice. He specifically said that it brought red flags up to the adcom even though it was well written. Whether or not you can blame the Committee Letter vs. changing my essay, certainly taking that part OUT of my essay didn't doom my application.

I also have now, due to my work, and association with family members and family members of my other half, come to present this issue to ~8 people who sit on adcoms. 5 are clinical professors at a good med school. 1 is the dean of admissions of a top 10 med school (where I didn't apply), 1 is the dean of my parents' alma mater, and 1 is a member of my family who is on the adcom at another top 10 school. The answer has been consistent--do not waste space in the AMCAS specifically discussing this...use the space on the 2ndary.

Some schools screen pre-secondary though, don't they? I guess in that case it would depend on if the story behind the lapse is compelling and/or fits into the rest of your story.

Your AMCAS has to go to ALL schools, however, so I personally feel it is worth the gamble and/or picking schools that don't screen pre-secondary. I got more than 50% of the 2ndaries from schools that screened pre-secondary...all OOS schools for me, I believe. You do have to make some compromises and play the game.

• Special hardships, challenges or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits.

AMCAS says you may wish to include them. And I think eloquently presenting a life hardship that shaped you in your essay is totally different than specifically linking it back to your grades and defending/explaining those grades. People reviewing apps are smart enough to realize that if someone discusses growing up impoverished and in a family w/out healthcare, that they probably want to give a 2ndary/interview to find out how any weaknesses in the transcrpit are or are not tied to the background of that student...if they don't think like this, I have to question whether or not any discussion in the AMCAS really could have convinced a school to give you a 2ndary in spite of a dip in grades, etc. Some schools are sticklers from #'s, and pretty much won't budge no matter what you tell them.

• Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record that are not explained elsewhere in your application.

They will be explained elsewhere--in your 2ndary and sometimes in LOR's. I strongly feel based on all the feedback from admissions-affiliated individuals that for MOST students, this statement should say "elsewhere in your AMCAS or Secondary applications." As I said before, you might get cut from some schools that screen secondaries b/c they don't understand your situation...but (1) give them credit for being smart enough to realize potential and (2) this is not the majority of schools.

Anyhow, above and beyond all, regardless of where you discuss your hardships, make sure you present them positively and focus more on the way in which they helped you to grown and/or what you learned that will keep your grades from slipping should the hardship or another hardship occur during med school.

Last edited: