Orangecat1234

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2017
Hello everyone,
I was wondering: should I talk about drug problems in my family & an unstable childhood in my personal statement to show personal grow and development?
I am going to be a PharmD and basically chose pharmacy as a way to find structure and stability along with my interests and science. Along the way, it opened up my mind to wanting to be apart of the holistic patient experience including diagnostic aspect.

I just don't know if the beggining part belongs in a personal statement?

aformerstudent

probationary status 4life
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Only if they lead to demonstrable "personal growth and development." If you have some end result that is impressive then yeah talk about the past. If the end result is nothing impressive, then nobody will care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangecat1234

jtd2081

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Seems like you are able to articulate how it contributed to your path towards medicine so I say go ahead.

Reactions: Orangecat1234
About the Ads
OP
Orangecat1234

Orangecat1234

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2017
Seems like you are able to articulate how it contributed to your path towards medicine so I say go ahead.
Okay, I think I will then because it is all part of the story. Is it better to kind of explain how I got here or start with an anecdote from the past? I always see. A bunch of personal statements opening with anecdotes.

jtd2081

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Exactly. Kind of sets you apart too. These adcoms read so many PS's so maybe it'll make you stand out a little bit.

About the Ads