Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if 760 words is too long for a personal statement? I really can't figure out what constitutes one page in ERAS. Also, what are the thoughts on hiring an editor to make this more polished? I have a fairly strong app imo for a non-competitive specialty but writing is not my strength. How much does the personal statement really matter in the scheme of things?

Members don't see this ad.

can you help me how to start working on PS, read a few samples, really confused.

Can anyone tell me if 760 words is too long for a personal statement? I really can't figure out what constitutes one page in ERAS. Also, what are the thoughts on hiring an editor to make this more polished? I have a fairly strong app imo for a non-competitive specialty but writing is not my strength. How much does the personal statement really matter in the scheme of things?
Put your PS into ERAS. Hit preview. It'll tell you if it's on one page or not.

Don't waste money on an editor. The odds that your PS is really going to make or break you getting an interview in a non-competitive specialty is vanishingly small. At the end of the day, if you're not in the top 5% personal statement writers, the only thing it matters for is giving talking points for your interviews and making sure you aren't so weird that you're actually off-putting.