Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

amm631

I'm writing my personal statement now and am using the chronological approach. I was wondering how best to do this without making it just seem like a resume?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the chrono. approach is a solid way to go if you can't find a super creative avenue. I would make your chronological string of events on your life appear to be enlightening moments -- each and every one. And what has each moment told you about yourself and more importantly -- about your role as a future physician -- or as a future healthcare worker. Start the p.s. perhaps with an allusion to the end of your statement, at which point you'll bring everything together and "argue" your reasoning for entering medicine. Consider including events that were non-premedicine related and perhaps discuss how they did NOT appeal to you since they lacked .. i dunno.. that compassionate aspect -- interaction w/ people.. and so on and so forth.

Good luck, and lemme know how it turns out!

Just put that you want the power, the money and the prestige associated with being a doctor and you will get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by josejalapeno:
Just put that you want the power, the money and the prestige associated with being a doctor and you will get in.

Haha
smile.gif

Hey, I just wanted to give you some advice about your PS. You do not want your personal statement to sound even remotely like a resume. If it does, you need to change it.

I suggest trying really hard not to talk about your accomplishments that much. Most of that stuff is already on your application and you can talk about that later. Stick with writing about stuff that is unique to you. (What makes you--you and that stuff..).

Hope that helps.

--jimmybee

They get your resume info from the amcas and secondaries. The purpose of the PS is to make them see your compassionate, human side.

Yeah also mention that you needed something to do in the future and that you could not think of anything else to do, so you figured you would apply to med school.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me