personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footcramp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone offer some information about what the personal statement for the ERAS application entails? What is the query, how many words/characters is the maximum, what is the general purpose of the personal statement (i.e. is it like the one for medical school?). I'd like to start thinking about it and it would help a lot if I had an idea of what they are looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

footcramp said:
Can someone offer some information about what the personal statement for the ERAS application entails? What is the query, how many words/characters is the maximum, what is the general purpose of the personal statement (i.e. is it like the one for medical school?). I'd like to start thinking about it and it would help a lot if I had an idea of what they are looking for.

I have an idea :idea: . Try the "search" feature located just to the right of midline near the top of the page.

Way early to worry about this.. long story short it should be about one page..the rest you can search for yourself or ask an advisor..

First Aid for the Match has a good chapter on personal statements, with examples for each specialty.

The general rule is one page, but mine was a page and a half. Nevertheless, I've gotten positive feedback on it.

Length depends on specialty: for surgery I was advised to keep mine between 3/4 - 1 page.

monkey7247 said:
I have an idea :idea: . Try the "search" feature located just to the right of midline near the top of the page.
i don't see it please help me

footcramp said:
i don't see it please help me
Right below where it says "Welcome, footcramp." is a slate blue toolbar with various options. "Search" is the 3rd from the last one.
Alternatively, if you go through a few of the pages under General Residency Issues, you'll come across lots of threads dealing with personal statements.
Hope this helps.

locitamd said:
Right below where it says "Welcome, footcramp." is a slate blue toolbar with various options. "Search" is the 3rd from the last one.
Alternatively, if you go through a few of the pages under General Residency Issues, you'll come across lots of threads dealing with personal statements.
Hope this helps.
thanks, used search, all is good with the world.

monkey7247 said:

Ah, the ubiquitous internet search nazi. What would we do without them?.

FACS said:
Ah, the ubiquitous internet search nazi. What would we do without them?.

What you would do is repeatedly answer the same questions over and over again.

monkey7247 said:
What you would do is repeatedly answer the same questions over and over again.

Nope. I'd just ignore it. Maybe someone who hasn't answered it before might do so and give a fresh perspective. Then the next person who searches will get a better result. ;) :)

FACS said:
Nope. I'd just ignore it. Maybe someone who hasn't answered it before might do so and give a fresh perspective. Then the next person who searches will get a better result. ;) :)

I appreciate your contrarian view and resign myself to the fact the I am indeed a "search nazi". Heil Google! :laugh:

for people who search for this topic in the future, the answer is:
aim for one page or less, can be about anything but generally why you want to go into the field you've chosen, 10pt font with courier new best approximates the format, use 4-5 spaces instead of "tab", if your quotation marks end up as question marks then try saving the file as raw text instead of ms word, or edit directly on the ERAS form. hope that helps.

monkey7247 said:
I appreciate your contrarian view and resign myself to the fact the I am indeed a "search nazi". Heil Google! :laugh:
:laugh:

Self-knowledge is never a bad thing. :p