SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

personal statement

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by GTchick, Jun 4, 2002.

1. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Is our personal statement just to tell the schools why we want to be dentists and why we are qualified?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Westside22

Westside22 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2002
    los angeles
    Hey GT,

Use the personal statement to your advantage. Tell them why you want to be a dentist, tell them about the things that are not on your applications. They can tell your grades and your other research experiences on other areas of the applications, so use the personal statement to tell them something about yourself, your personality, your characteristics that make your different from others in general. Try not to list qualifications, like " i received this research recognition, therefore I believe that I am well rounded in the sciences that will enable me to be a good dentist, etc"
    Another suggestion my friend gave me was to talk about how the challenges in the dental field appeals to me as a wanna-be-dentist on a day to day basis as a student and also later as a dentist
    hope that helps, i know that the whole statement is alot more than just covering one or two topic.

4. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philadelphia
    westside -
    thanks for the advice. I like my personal statement but when i looked at samples mine seems not as boring and so I was therefore worried that I was not on the right track. I think I am going to keep mine pretty much the way it is. It is unique just like me :)