Personal Statements Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnB79

The Dragon Reborn
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allot of people who are applying for the fall 2006 class are beginning to write their personal statements and I thought I would offer some advice. I personally think I put together a good PS even among some of the other premeds at my school they like it. So here is my advice on writing a PS if I'm way off base please correct me but this is what I did and it worked for me.

I would first like to say tell only one story. The reason for this is simple when you fill out the AMCAS in may/june you will put down all your EC's and such and they will see what you did so there is no point in trying to squeeze all that into a PS, telling one story allows you to get in depth with your emotions and make a connection to the person who reviews your application which will make it harder for them to set you aside with the rest of the pack. Don't try to convince them that you've had a desire to be a MD since your were young because adcom's get that all the time and its an old hat to them. Don't try to BS the ADCOM they will see right through this and again toss your app. Make use of similes in your app such as comparing something that was felt great to you to something that everyone can relate to... let me give you an example.

"When I walked away from our relationship, I knew I was leaving the one good thing that I had in my life. I felt despair at my situation... I had left the warm sunshine that I knew I had to enter a underground labyrinth, one that was dark, damp, cold. And the farther I got from her the deeper I went into that labyrinth I could feel the light slipping from my life, and soon enough there was no other light left. I couldn't turn back because this was the path I must take, my duty compels me to push farther even though every fiber in my being screams for me to turn back."

That one was kind of long, but like this also:

"when I first met her, it was as if I finally reached an oasis in the desert after traveling for a long time with no water, she gave me life."

Again let me stress tell one story and only one story, if it has some bearing on why you what to be a physician (use physician not doctor in your PS, more professional) fine but you don't have to. If you don't mention it in your PS they will ask you at the interview. Tell a story that is yours and yours alone to stand out. You have some time so I would prepare it by doing it this way....

Over a period of a few days/weeks get a list of topics that you would like to discuss such as:

-first love
-family death
-first international trip
-a personal achievement
-etc

Once you have a list decide on the two most powerful ones you see there and create and outline of what you want to talk about.
-first love
1st Paragraph outlines the story what you will talk about
2nd Paragraph first time you saw them
3rd Paragraph first time you talked
4th what happened
5th impact on your life.
etc
Then take the topic state it in your first sentence and make it powerful something to compel them to read onward. The support it with feelings/facts. Last paragraph is the conclusion.

What you are doing is telling a story, allowing the reviewer to get to know you better. It is important to tell a story (your own story) that will allow that individual to connect with you, makes it harder for them to deny you further consideration. If you have the avg. scores it is this and your letters of Rec. that will allow you to stand out from the crowd and get you one step closer to the door.

Again let me emphasize that you don't have to tell the story of why you want to be a physician but rather tell of an interesting time in your life. If it connects with why you want to go to med school so be it, but it does not have to. Be yourself, show them that you are more than numbers on a piece of paper, that you are an individual who is worthy of becoming a physician.

my $0.10

Members don't see this ad.

Remember, though. If you have something to explain--like crappy grades or a time away from school or something major in your life--remember to address anything head-on that the admissions committees can use as a reason to dismiss your application. For example, the most common thing to have to explain is bad grades. If you don't explain yourself in the personal statement, there really isn't any reason for the admissions committee to be interested in your application considering that they have so many highly qualified applicants coming through. You want them to take a second look and when they do, be sure to give a good explanation. I had to explain some things in my PS and at every interview, they commented on my personal statement.

Trust that this truly is very important and worth the time spent.

G'luck! :luck:

There's no one right way to fill out the amcas personal comment section, but I disagree with the OP on some areas. I can definitely see how focusing on one event can help, but I think weaving in others within the main story is useful. Yes, we list our post-secondary experiences elsewhere, but the essay is the only place where you can reflect on those experiences, and not just list a resume-like description. And sure, you may get asked about other experiences in the interview, but that's assuming you'll make it there. Of course, the essay shouldn't be a resume in paragraph form, so I think two or three meaningful experiences in your life would suffice.

Also, the personal comments is not an app to college undergrad--it's to a professional school. I think it'd be a mistake only to tell a story about yourself, as touching and self-discriptive as it may be, and not to mention why you're interested in medicine.

Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,
I'm a newbie and a 2006 applicant, so i def could use advice before starting the statement. Out of curiosity, what exactly does the AMCAS contain besides the PS, MCAT, and GPA/transcript? Does it include the LORs and other things as well?

Also, why would it be bad to only talk about yourself? Who else would be included?--like maybe inspirations/role models?

=)

Along with the essay, scores, and coursework, the AMCAS also contains the standard biographical info like place of birth, ethnicity, & parental info; med school designations, where you pick med schools to which to apply; and "post-secondary experiences." This is where you list and describe up to 15 activities (EC, volunteer, jobs, awards, etc.) in 510 characters max each. LOR's don't come into play until secondaries.

The essay by far takes the longest, but entering all my info, including every single college class, took a good ten hours or so.

Oh, and of course you talk about yourself in the essay. Not sure I understood your question...but I posted earlier that I don't think someone should just write about themselves without addressing why they want to be a physician. The OP believed otherwise.

But since you mention it, I can't imagine an amcas essay without mentioning other people, you know, as part of your story about your path to medicine.

Good luck!

DrYo12 said:
Remember, though. If you have something to explain--like crappy grades or a time away from school or something major in your life--remember to address anything head-on that the admissions committees can use as a reason to dismiss your application. For example, the most common thing to have to explain is bad grades. If you don't explain yourself in the personal statement, there really isn't any reason for the admissions committee to be interested in your application considering that they have so many highly qualified applicants coming through. You want them to take a second look and when they do, be sure to give a good explanation. I had to explain some things in my PS and at every interview, they commented on my personal statement.

Trust that this truly is very important and worth the time spent.

G'luck! :luck:

what could particularly consistute 'bad grades'? As of now, i have a 3.46/30, which isn't great, but isn't horrible. Should i spend some time in my app discussing/explaining my grades?

jammin06 said:
what could particularly consistute 'bad grades'? As of now, i have a 3.46/30, which isn't great, but isn't horrible. Should i spend some time in my app discussing/explaining my grades?

Well, a 3.46 isn't "bad grades". This is about a B+ average and if anyone out there considers a B to be a bad grade then there are more over-achievers applying than I thought :p

What would be consdered worth explaining is if you had a quarter/semester with multiples Cs or below. I don't think one C in a 4 year ocean of Bs and As is worth elaborating on, rather a string of below average achievement would warrant some explanation.

Back to the topic of writing the personal statement, I am in agreement that one topic should be addressed, but it is equally important to weave in other important aspects of your life. For instance, I chose to dedicate my PS to my commitment to the underserved. I was born in a 3rd world country so began with a bit about my childhood, family life, etc. I then jumped into a few experiences that I've had throughout my life with other disadvantaged populations and how that affected my personal growth and emotional maturity.

Hope this helps!

You should definitely strive for unity in your PS. It doesn't have to tell only one story (in the sense that there's a beginning, middle, and end with all the same characters) but it should tell a coherent story (in the sense that everything's related and there for a purpose).

I also agree with the OP's suggestion to write down things you'd like to talk about, then once you have a bunch of options start by outlining.

I kept a file of talking points that I thought would be useful to use at some point. Anecdotes that illustrated my personality characteristics, reasons why I wanted to go into medicine, that sort of thing. I ended up using maybe half of them in my PS, but most of the rest went into secondary essays later. And I was so glad that I had started writing with no pressure early on!

Please don't take the OP's advice on comparisons. Those examples are horribly overwrought, purple prose. If a comparison helps, by all means use it, but don't just throw them in there for no reason. You aren't writing poetry here.

Also, I would strongly recommend against writing about your first love. Again, it isn't poetry. You can and should use personal examples, but your love life is only fascinating to you and your mother. Talking about family deaths, travel, achievements, or ECs can all be good, as long as they convey something good about you to the adcom.

just wanted to add that writing your personal statement is a challenge. I'm willing to provide you with some sample statements to use as a springboard if you're stuck. Just send me a PM.

Thanks,

just curious, but would i have to explain some so so grades during first semester freshman year? every semester since then, my GPA has been over 3.5, with a 3.7 thrown in there for good measure, but my first semester, my gpa was around 3.2. Or is it common enough to see a not as great first semester that you don't need to explain it?

JohnB79 said:
Allot of people who are applying for the fall 2006 class are beginning to write their personal statements and I thought I would offer some advice. I personally think I put together a good PS even among some of the other premeds at my school they like it. So here is my advice on writing a PS if I'm way off base please correct me but this is what I did and it worked for me.

I would first like to say tell only one story. The reason for this is simple when you fill out the AMCAS in may/june you will put down all your EC's and such and they will see what you did so there is no point in trying to squeeze all that into a PS, telling one story allows you to get in depth with your emotions and make a connection to the person who reviews your application which will make it harder for them to set you aside with the rest of the pack. Don't try to convince them that you've had a desire to be a MD since your were young because adcom's get that all the time and its an old hat to them. Don't try to BS the ADCOM they will see right through this and again toss your app. Make use of similes in your app such as comparing something that was felt great to you to something that everyone can relate to... let me give you an example.

"When I walked away from our relationship, I knew I was leaving the one good thing that I had in my life. I felt despair at my situation... I had left the warm sunshine that I knew I had to enter a underground labyrinth, one that was dark, damp, cold. And the farther I got from her the deeper I went into that labyrinth I could feel the light slipping from my life, and soon enough there was no other light left. I couldn't turn back because this was the path I must take, my duty compels me to push farther even though every fiber in my being screams for me to turn back."

That one was kind of long, but like this also:

"when I first met her, it was as if I finally reached an oasis in the desert after traveling for a long time with no water, she gave me life."

Again let me stress tell one story and only one story, if it has some bearing on why you what to be a physician (use physician not doctor in your PS, more professional) fine but you don't have to. If you don't mention it in your PS they will ask you at the interview. Tell a story that is yours and yours alone to stand out. You have some time so I would prepare it by doing it this way....

Over a period of a few days/weeks get a list of topics that you would like to discuss such as:

-first love
-family death
-first international trip
-a personal achievement
-etc

Once you have a list decide on the two most powerful ones you see there and create and outline of what you want to talk about.
-first love
1st Paragraph outlines the story what you will talk about
2nd Paragraph first time you saw them
3rd Paragraph first time you talked
4th what happened
5th impact on your life.
etc
Then take the topic state it in your first sentence and make it powerful something to compel them to read onward. The support it with feelings/facts. Last paragraph is the conclusion.

What you are doing is telling a story, allowing the reviewer to get to know you better. It is important to tell a story (your own story) that will allow that individual to connect with you, makes it harder for them to deny you further consideration. If you have the avg. scores it is this and your letters of Rec. that will allow you to stand out from the crowd and get you one step closer to the door.

Again let me emphasize that you don't have to tell the story of why you want to be a physician but rather tell of an interesting time in your life. If it connects with why you want to go to med school so be it, but it does not have to. Be yourself, show them that you are more than numbers on a piece of paper, that you are an individual who is worthy of becoming a physician.

my $0.10

I second much of the critique of the advice from the OP. Your personal statement is, well, yours! There is no correct way to write a PS, as the OP implies. My PS was actually in complete opposition to most of what the OP stated: 1) I wrote about 3 important events in my life in a chronological manner. 2) Every event related some way--either directly or indirectly--to a future career in medicine (e.g. Humanitarian, lab, leadership experiences). 3) I did not use any sort of trite metaphorical device. While I don't think that it's a bad idea to do so, I know that they would have interrupted the flow of my paper. 4) The organization the OP suggests is not bad; however, remember that Adcom members are not looking for a designated format like MCAT graders. I began with an anecdote and ended with a paragraph that summarized the point of the PS. 5) I have had the desire to be a doctor since I was young and had a compelling story to back that up. All my interviewers were indeed impressed.

As of this post, I have had 11 interviews. Every interviewer has commented positively--some very positively--on my PS. Much of what I did is in direct defiance to the suggestions that the OP and many websites/guides give. The moral is to make it your own. Do NOT worry about convention. The only requirements, I believe, are good, tight writing and showing something unique about you. Watch grammar, syntax, punctuation, organization, clarity, etc. I do agree with the OP that the PS must be compelling and revealing, and I am not saying that his style of writing the PS is wrong--only that there are many ways of tackling this monster.

I'm having trouble writing my Personal Statement. I've been working on it for the past 3 months and all I have to show for it is this lousy t shirt.

Thank you everyone for opinions of what a PS should be like. I myself am stuck trying to find out a really good reason why I want to be a physician besides the usual "help others" "unite communities" or "medicine is the zenith of science."

Hope there are more responses and tips. I truly value these insights.