Personal Statment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to dental school starting May 04. My school requires me to apply to get the school to "support" your application. The truth is that they really never reject anyone, but just do it to make us have all our essays done early, have an interview, and get prepared to for AADSAS. So I am starting to brainstorm some ideas for my personal statement. I was hoping for some of your opinions on my idea. I am planning on making my personal statement be about my decision to become a dentist (duh!). I want to start it off with how I was at first thinking about being a MD, and then give the reasons I decided to pursue dentistry insted. Is this a bad idea. I have heard that dental adcom's may not like that? Before I start this, I would like to know if people think it's a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

It should be okay. That's exactly what I wrote (as a pre-med then switch to pre-dent), and I do get into a few schools...good luck!:)

oh, but do write out clearly why you choose dentistry over medicine.

hi guys!
When I was writing my essay, my advisor told me to try and not be too general. If you can, try and focus on a specific event that made you realize dentistry was perfect for you, and go over the reasons briefly. Many people's reasons for going into dentistry are similar, but how they came to the conclusion is special to that person. Good luck writing your essay!