personality disorder videos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powermd

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to my fine colleagues in psychiatry!
I'm a fellow in pain medicine, and I am working on a presentation designed to teach anesthesia residents and pain doctors how to approach patients with various personality disorders when they present for a procedure. I'd like to include some videos with patients demonstrating the classic behavior of the disorder- antisocial, narcissistic, borderline, histrionic, etc.

Does anyone know of any specific resources I could use to obtain such videos? I tried Youtube- not much luck there, and I tried APA.org, which only included one DVD, which seems to emphasize the treatment aspects.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Addams Family Values - schizotypal personality disorders
Fatal Attraction - borderline personality disorder in the main female character
The Basic Instinct - antisocial personality disorder in the main female character

The Addams Family Values - schizotypal personality disorders
Fatal Attraction - borderline personality disorder in the main female character
The Basic Instinct - antisocial personality disorder in the main female character

isn't the basic instinct lady more psychopathic than antisocial?

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/aap/

These links to Don Fidler's videos at WVU work. Click on video clips in the left margin, then Personality DOs are about halfway down the page. Note the disclaimer re: Vista at the top (though they did run on my computer after Vista did the nifty "find the update" thing).

Last edited:
SEINFELD
(these aren't perfect, but they're fun :laugh: )

Jerry: OCPD
cereal boxes in alphabetically, always wears white sneakers, very concerned that he continues to wear exactly the same size jeans, can't date a girl whose nose is big or whose breasts might be fake or any of a hundred other reasons, broke up with a Dermatologist because she's not a "real doctor" ("You're just Pimple Popper, MD!" "Uh, oh. Forgot about skin cancer.")
Has to prove that there ARE homes for rent in Tuscany, Italy.

Elaine: histrionic
colorful, dramatic, flamboyant, attn seeking, needing reassurance
"What do you mean I dance strangely? I'm a great dancer! Aren't I?"
"He must like me. He left his sweat on the machine at the gym, so it's like we've shared bodily fluids. That's love!"

George: dependent PD
cannot be alone, passive pessimist

Kramer: schizotypal

Newman: antisocial
"What's in it for me?" Hasn't bothered delivering all the mail on his route in years. "Borrows" a mail truck to drive two states over in order to return cans/bottles for a higher value.

George's father: Paranoid PD
Suspicious, irritable, angry, jealous, injustice collector
"You don't think I'd fit in Del Boca Vista?!"
"Those people will steal my idea for the 'Manzier!'"

Mr Peterman: Narcissistic
Grandiose, pretends he has important friends, fake sympathy

And don't forget the v.code for Mrs. Seinfeld: Jewish Mother NOS.

It would be "Ethnic Mother, Yiddish subtype", to distinguish it from the subtle variants found in the "Hellenic subtype", "Latino subtype", "Rankin-Bass Mrs. Claus subtype", or "OPD's Filipino Mother-in-law subtype". :D

Thank you for all the excellent information. I'm reading the Bibring article now.

Since I will likely be limited in time, I may need to focus on only a few specific disorders. My short list would be obsessive-compulsive, antisocial, borderline, and narcissistic.

What experiences have you had with patients that first tipped you off to their underlying personality disorder? I'm trying to get at the kinds of things that might be apparent in an initial interview, such as an anesthesiologist might have with a patient just prior to surgery.

Thank you for all the excellent information. I'm reading the Bibring article now.

Since I will likely be limited in time, I may need to focus on only a few specific disorders. My short list would be obsessive-compulsive, antisocial, borderline, and narcissistic.

What experiences have you had with patients that first tipped you off to their underlying personality disorder? I'm trying to get at the kinds of things that might be apparent in an initial interview, such as an anesthesiologist might have with a patient just prior to surgery.

The classics:

Borderline: "Oh, I'm so glad you're my doctor. None of the others really seem to understand what I'm going through."

Narcissistic: "Y'know, I could've gone to medical school, but I wanted to make more money/do something more important/be my own boss."

Obsessive-compulsive: "Exactly what dose of that medication will I be getting?"

Antisocial: "Can I see your prescription pad for a second?" or "If this surgery goes wrong, I will kill you."

There may be some good tv shows & movies where you can present characters who have personality disorders accurately portrayed.

Yes and that movie is "A christmas tale", all about personality disorders, however its in french with english subtitles, but still a "must see" for all psych residents and med students going into psych.

As far as TV shows, I would recommend "in treatment" on HBO.