PERSONALITY LEARNING STYLE and MED school Grades. Is there a CORRELATION?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneStrongBro

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that there is a correlation. There has not been a formal study.

Still, I believe that the introverted, intuitive, thinking, and judgemental(INTJ) students make the best grades. In fact, I am willing to say that MOST GUNNERS are INTJ's.

BOTTOMLINE, A person's learning type plays a big role in med school grades because THE KEY TO MED SCHOOL IS STUDYING. Thus, if you know your learning style, than you will know HOW TO STUDY.

Here are the different brain types.

http://www.braintypes.com/brain.htm

http://www.gsu.edu/~dschjb/wwwmbti.html

FREE LEARNING STYLE EXAM.

http://haleonline.com/psychtest/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an INTJ, and I disagree. I think the gunners must be mostly ISTJs, or at least mostly SJs and not NTs.

INTJ: "applicator of ideas; builder of theoretical systems; self-confident; independent, reserved, single-minded, conceptual; seeks knowledge; not impressed with authority; determined, analytic, stubborn, skeptical, scientific; logical abstraction skilled."

ISTJ: "gatherer of data; compelled to identify reality and bring order; stable, conservative, dependable, reserved, logical, fastidious, systematic, painstaking, thorough, dutiful; fine motor skilled."

IMO, I think the bigger asset in the first two years of med school is being more "systematic and thorough" in your studying than being more "conceptual and analytic." It's all about memorizing facts for the first two years, right? Application comes later. At least, that's what I tell myself to make myself feel better. :D

The reason a study hasnt been done is because the test itself is highly dubious. People will say, "ohh that sounds exactly like me" but studies have shown that people are highly succeptible to the suggestive claims of such results and can mold their perception of their personality to fit the description, as opposed to the other way around.

In any case, Im either ENFP or ENTP (I took another test a while back that had multiple choice questions and it said ENXP, which makes sense considering I cant decide between the columns for the 3rd trait). It said I was like 52% ENTP and 48% ENFP, so I guess Im ENTP.

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't the myers-brigg assign you to a type without you knowing the possible combination or descriptions beforehand? that's how i took it.

anyhow. . .any other infp out there?

Also what I find to be the most interesting are the descriptions on this page: http://www.typelogic.com/

I think its interesting reading about the famous people you share a "brain type" with.

For me, (at least as a partial ENTP), I share my brain type with:

Weird Al, Alfred Hitchcock, Tom Hanks, Q from Star Trek, Bugs Bunny, and Garfield.

Sharing my brain type with Celine Dion makes me want to assume the fetal position and cry all day.

wow, that site is neat!
here are some of (supposedly ;) ) people i am like:

Homer
Virgil
Mary, mother of Jesus
St. John, the beloved disciple
St. Luke; physician, disciple, author
William Shakespeare, bard of Avon
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Evangeline)
A. A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)
Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie)
Helen Keller, deaf and blind author

Originally posted by care bear
doesn't the myers-brigg assign you to a type without you knowing the possible combination or descriptions beforehand? that's how i took it.

anyhow. . .any other infp out there?

INFP here!!!

yall INFPs must be some creative mofos based on the company you seem to be keeping ;)

I took the Myers-Briggs test my freshman year (along with an "academic interest" test that all freshman engineers had to take). What do you know, I was and INFP whereas they said the average engineer is (I/E)STJ, pretty much the exact opposite. The other test pretty much said I should be in either education or healthcare. What do you know, two years after that I decided not to be an engineer (and pursue medicine instead) as I couldn't stand the people in it and working as an engineer sounded like the most boring thing in the world.

To cap it off, I am trying to get a teaching job right now as either a sub, or a lab teacher at a local community college (I have a semester to kill before med school)

Sometimes those tests are kind of correct. :)

matt, are you catholic/christian?

it seems like 'religious types' are heavily represented in this personality type. . .wonder if there's some kinda correlation there. . .?

INTP!

I have taken the test twice...once ENTP then INTP most recently...probably borderline.

Look at whose reputation I am tainting (most rolling in their graves):

Socrates
Rene Descartes
Blaise Pascal
Sir Isaac Newton
UC. G. Jung
Albert Einstein
Tiger Woods
Dr. Susan Lewis (ER)
XT777

I recall a website that correlates personality types to medical specialities -- anyone have the link? I can't seem to find it on a search

Originally posted by Downhill Racer
I recall a website that correlates personality types to medical specialities -- anyone have the link? I can't seem to find it on a search

Was this what you were looking for?

http://www.gesher.org/Myers-Briggs/MBTI Chart and specialty.html

What sorta weird is that the SFs are in a lot of the cushy specialties, you would think the gunners would be in those fields to a greater degree.

i remember a thread floating around about this in pre-allo a while back. these tests, i admit, can get a little addictive but i find it describes my personality pretty well...

anyway i'm an e/i nfj (i'm about 45%-55% on the e/i thing) and it's interesting to see my famous personalities
Richard Gere
Oprah Winfrey
Mother Theresa
Martin Luther King
Jimmy Carter
and Chaucer :laugh:

so i'm destined to become an entrepreneurial medical prophet, i guess. :laugh:

Originally posted by care bear
matt, are you catholic/christian?

it seems like 'religious types' are heavily represented in this personality type. . .wonder if there's some kinda correlation there. . .?

christian here

Thats the site, THANKS!... ENFP for me... seems like I should be an actor instead...

Meg Ryan
Robin Williams
Sandra Bullock
Robert Downey
Alicia Silverstone