Personality/Social Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych844

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a Masters program where you can specialize in this area. What would the career options be with such a degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Your career options would probably be more school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Canada where we have Master-level Psychologists. (in four provinces).

What would be the options with a Phd?

We do have Master's level psychologists, but you need clinical training to be registered with each provinicial College. Take a look at the requirements for licensure at the M.A. level (in Alberta, for example). A social or personality M.A. would fill almost none of the requirements-- It's an experimental/research degree. This is not the way to go if you want to practise psychology.

Last edited:
It would be hard to find employment with a Master's degree in Social/Personality Psychology; it's a non-licensing degree, unless you got it as a concentration in a Clinical Psych program (and even then, not all Clinical Psych Master's programs lead to licensure). You could work in a research lab with a Master's degree; if you've got strong statistics skills, being a Statistical Analyst is lots of fun (really!!!). A PhD opens up faculty positions in academia, as well.

We do have Master's level psychologists, but you need clinical training to be registered with each provinicial College. Take a look at the requirements for licensure at the M.A. level (in Alberta, for example). A social or personality M.A. would fill almost none of the requirements-- It's an experimental/research degree. This is not the way to go if you want to practise psychology.

Yeah that is why I was asking. I wasn't sure if counselling was possibly with such a degree.

But most Clinical and Counselling Psychology programs should enable you to register with the Alberta college? Alberta college are the only ones that accept distance masters as well.

I do realize there is more to the process as well. This assumes you've taken enough psychology undergrad courses, enough graduate courses, that you've taken the correct undergrad courses, that you pass the EPPP , oral examination, and do your supervised portion.