• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

comatose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
do you feel that dentists, in general, are introverts? do they avoid conversation as much as possible?

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Visit site
Status
IMO, a successful dentist has to display many extrovert qualitities. You have to remember that you are selling a service that most people hate to have done on them, and some figure can go without. You have to have the interpersonal skills to sell your service effectively, or risk losing some serious business.

sxr71

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
Not if dental schools are selecting their people right.

About the Ads

tanwe461

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
i think dentists should be friendly and must have good PR skills. like mentioned before, most patients don't really like coming to you. it's how you feel that counts, not how good your MOD is.
i noticed that a lot of patients who come to my Dental school are quite afraid most of the time, but I guess most of them prefer the cheaper option that our school gives than those outside. and i find that dentists should also be considerate people, little things like how the patient feels, is he/she comfortable matters a lot.
just my 2 cents worth.....

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status
One can be a good dentist even with an introverted personality...

I have a few classmates who are quiet types, but they work well with their patients because by nature they are good listeners.

It's all about finding your niche.. That's the secret to success.

HBomb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
CA
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by comatose
do you feel that dentists, in general, are introverts? do they avoid conversation as much as possible?
No, I don't think it is a good generalization of dentists. There are both introverted and extroverted dentists. Have you only met introverted dentists? Just wondering.

In terms of which would make a better dentist (since many of the later posts discuss it), either can be a good dentist. I definitely think there are more important factors that make a good dentist.

krull

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by UBTom
One can be a good dentist even with an introverted personality...

I have a few classmates who are quiet types, but they work well with their patients because by nature they are good listeners.

It's all about finding your niche.. That's the secret to success.
Excellent point. After reading some of Tom's posts, why the hell isn't this guy the moderator or every dental forum? :thumbup:

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
What Tom said is right on the money. In fact, patients may actually enjoy an introverted personality MORE than an extrovert.

Extroverts are a load of fun, but always desiring to be in some form of the limelight seems to go hand in hand with them.

Like Tom said, successful dentists are kind to their patients and very aware of their concerns.

About the Ads