personality type of a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comatose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you feel that dentists, in general, are introverts? do they avoid conversation as much as possible?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, a successful dentist has to display many extrovert qualitities. You have to remember that you are selling a service that most people hate to have done on them, and some figure can go without. You have to have the interpersonal skills to sell your service effectively, or risk losing some serious business.

Not if dental schools are selecting their people right.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dentist is introverted, but she has a busy clinic even in an office tower rather than in a shopping mall.

i think dentists should be friendly and must have good PR skills. like mentioned before, most patients don't really like coming to you. it's how you feel that counts, not how good your MOD is.
i noticed that a lot of patients who come to my Dental school are quite afraid most of the time, but I guess most of them prefer the cheaper option that our school gives than those outside. and i find that dentists should also be considerate people, little things like how the patient feels, is he/she comfortable matters a lot.
just my 2 cents worth.....

One can be a good dentist even with an introverted personality...

I have a few classmates who are quiet types, but they work well with their patients because by nature they are good listeners.

It's all about finding your niche.. That's the secret to success.

Originally posted by comatose
do you feel that dentists, in general, are introverts? do they avoid conversation as much as possible?

No, I don't think it is a good generalization of dentists. There are both introverted and extroverted dentists. Have you only met introverted dentists? Just wondering.

In terms of which would make a better dentist (since many of the later posts discuss it), either can be a good dentist. I definitely think there are more important factors that make a good dentist.

Originally posted by UBTom
One can be a good dentist even with an introverted personality...

I have a few classmates who are quiet types, but they work well with their patients because by nature they are good listeners.

It's all about finding your niche.. That's the secret to success.

Excellent point. After reading some of Tom's posts, why the hell isn't this guy the moderator or every dental forum? :thumbup:

What Tom said is right on the money. In fact, patients may actually enjoy an introverted personality MORE than an extrovert.

Extroverts are a load of fun, but always desiring to be in some form of the limelight seems to go hand in hand with them.

Like Tom said, successful dentists are kind to their patients and very aware of their concerns.