1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

personality type of a dentist

Discussion in 'Dental' started by comatose, Apr 3, 2004.

1. comatose

comatose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

do you feel that dentists, in general, are introverts? do they avoid conversation as much as possible?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

IMO, a successful dentist has to display many extrovert qualitities. You have to remember that you are selling a service that most people hate to have done on them, and some figure can go without. You have to have the interpersonal skills to sell your service effectively, or risk losing some serious business.

4. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Not if dental schools are selecting their people right.

5. nanoarray

nanoarray Junior Member

My dentist is introverted, but she has a busy clinic even in an office tower rather than in a shopping mall.

6. tanwe461

tanwe461 Member
    7+ Year Member

i think dentists should be friendly and must have good PR skills. like mentioned before, most patients don't really like coming to you. it's how you feel that counts, not how good your MOD is.
    i noticed that a lot of patients who come to my Dental school are quite afraid most of the time, but I guess most of them prefer the cheaper option that our school gives than those outside. and i find that dentists should also be considerate people, little things like how the patient feels, is he/she comfortable matters a lot.
    just my 2 cents worth.....

7. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

One can be a good dentist even with an introverted personality...

I have a few classmates who are quiet types, but they work well with their patients because by nature they are good listeners.

It's all about finding your niche.. That's the secret to success.

8. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No, I don't think it is a good generalization of dentists. There are both introverted and extroverted dentists. Have you only met introverted dentists? Just wondering.

In terms of which would make a better dentist (since many of the later posts discuss it), either can be a good dentist. I definitely think there are more important factors that make a good dentist.

9. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

Impossible to make a strong decision on this one: you can't label an entire profession as being "X" or "Y" type personalities.

If you want to know about personalities, check out this link:

http://209.15.29.56/myersbriggs/personhome.htm

10. krull

krull Membership Revoked
    Removed

Excellent point. After reading some of Tom's posts, why the hell isn't this guy the moderator or every dental forum? :thumbup:

11. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    What Tom said is right on the money. In fact, patients may actually enjoy an introverted personality MORE than an extrovert.

Extroverts are a load of fun, but always desiring to be in some form of the limelight seems to go hand in hand with them.

Like Tom said, successful dentists are kind to their patients and very aware of their concerns.