Personality types and abilities of students currently in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCruelOne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a really silly, odd question. I'm currently taking part in a post-baccalaureate program at an Ivy League university (I've taken all my core science classes in undergrad. I'm just doing this so that I can improve my GPA before I apply to medical schools), so I guess I'm technically smart and capable, but I honestly honestly honestly don't feel as though my overall knowledge and ability to understand new material even compares to that of other people I know in this program. Everyone seems like they surpass me intellectually in each and every way, and I guess because of that, I'm really afraid to become friends with any of them. I feel as though I would never be able to hold an intelligent conversation with anyone and they'll all realize that I'm nowhere near as smart as they are, so I don't really go out of my way to talk to people. Not to mention, I'm a pretty shy/quiet/keep to myself kind of person.

So I guess I've recently been thinking about medical school and what the students in medical school will be like if I'm only in a post-bacc right now and people already seem so much more intelligent than I am. I guess I'm wondering if anyone's met people in medical school who don't seem like the typical over-achieving medical student or if you've met people who are quiet and keep to themselves. I'm kind of worried about how I'll ever manage to fit in if I do get into medical school if everyone else is going to be so different from me. I'm honestly not as big of an overachiever (not that overachieving is bad in any way) as a lot of people that I seem to come across here. It would be nice to know that there are people who are more laid back or maybe even a little awkward that I could potentially become friends with should I get into medical school. Thank you to anyone who's taken the time to read and respond to this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you can make friends in med school. Students come in all stripes.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.