Personality vs medical specialty: Myers-Briggs Revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sscooterguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been tackled before in some of the other forums in the past, but I thought it would be interesting to at least some of you.
MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) aka 4 letter personality test, tweaked by Jung et al, available free here: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

So what does your 4 letter personality index mean? There have been literally hundreds of studies linking the MBTI with specialties in almost every career field. It has even been shown (originally in 70's, but updated in 1999 by Wallick, Cambre, and Randall) to correlate (with significant p-values mind you) MBTI with physician satisification for corresponding specialties. Here's the match up based upon a study of almost 5000 physicians (however this data only lists likelyhood ratios for TWO not FOUR letter personalities). One of the advisors at my school has the specific four letter personalities with top 3 specialties somewhere, but I am currently trying to find it. I will post it when I do: http://www.gesher.org/Myers-Briggs/MBTI Chart and specialty.html
What are you? I'm ENFJ, if memory serves me correctly from my advisor's list, the top 3 choices for happy ENFJ's were Surg, Peds, Psych.

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Talk amongst yourselves...

sscooterguy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ENFJ...more to come

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget what the top 3 specialties were for your personality type. Those data points are generally not statistically significant, and they are mere correlations and no way indicate success in those specialties.

Myers-Briggs may be useful in getting some insight into how you think and act, but I strongly caution anyone against using it for the purposes implied here. Not only can very different people end up with the same alleged personality type, but just because some other people with your type do something is not a good reason to do it too.

Telemachus said:
Forget what the top 3 specialties were for your personality type. Those data points are generally not statistically significant, and they are mere correlations and no way indicate success in those specialties.

Myers-Briggs may be useful in getting some insight into how you think and act, but I strongly caution anyone against using it for the purposes implied here. Not only can very different people end up with the same alleged personality type, but just because some other people with your type do something is not a good reason to do it too.

You're definately right. I don't mean to tell anyone that there is a hard and fast rule here.
These were only correlations, and medicine has changed since the original research. However, Myers-Briggs Type Index is still used extensively and has shown correlations with well recognised statistically significant p-values (<0.05) in the past. Its interesting and fun. Don't be broken hearted if you were yearning to be a pathologist but your personality matches up with peds. There are lots of happy physicians with unmatched myers briggs/specialties, but I challenge you to keep an open mind...

sscooterguy

Intj, baby! Anyone else see a trend?

Another intj here.

silverjelly said:
Intj, baby! Anyone else see a trend?

Heh! I was thinking the same thing... but maybe that's just our personality type talking ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
INTJ My ego is now extra inflated. I took this in undergrad...same result so I pursued it with success.

Strategic planning
Reorganization projects
General management consulting
Inventor
Artist
Art teacher
Astronomy
Academic curriculum design
Organization development
Creating and applying technology to complex areas
Psychoanalysis
Business acquisitions and mergers
Investment analysis
Philosopher
Systems analysis
Architect
Interior design
Scientific research
Design engineering
Artificial intelligence
Neurology
Neuropsychology
Biomedical engineering
housemate
Human resources consulting

Famous INTJs:
Dan Aykroyd (The Blues Brothers)
Susan B. Anthony
Arthur Ashe, tennis champion
Augustus Caesar (Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus)
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
William J. Bennett, "drug czar"
William F. Buckley, Jr.
Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironsides)
Chevy Chase (Cornelius Crane) (Fletch)
Phil Donahue
Michael Dukakis, governor of Mass., 1988 U.S. Dem. pres. candidate
Greg Gumbel, television sportscaster
Hannibal, Carthaginian military leader
Veronica Hamel (Hill Street Blues)
Angela Lansbury (Murder, She Wrote)
Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV
Peter Jennings
Charles Everett Koop
Ivan Lendl
C. S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Joan Lunden
Edwin Moses, U.S. olympian (hurdles)
Martina Navratilova
Charles Rangel, U. S. Representative, D-N.Y.
Pernell Roberts (Bonanza)
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
Josephine Tey (Elizabeth
Mackintosh), mystery writer (Brat Farrar)
Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor
Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense
General Colin Powell, US Secretary of State
Lance Armstrong
Richard Gere (Pretty Woman)
Katie Couric

U.S. Presidents:
Chester A. Arthur
Calvin Coolidge
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy

James K. Polk
Woodrow Wilson

Telemachus said:

I will have to disagree with you...but I must be an exception...I took this many years (almost ten) ago when I was in undergrad and it was fairly accurate. Still in Psychiatry and Research.

sscooterguy said:
This has been tackled before in some of the other forums in the past, but I thought it would be interesting to at least some of you.
MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) aka 4 letter personality test, tweaked by Jung et al, available free here: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

So what does your 4 letter personality index mean? There have been literally hundreds of studies linking the MBTI with specialties in almost every career field. It has even been shown (originally in 70's, but updated in 1999 by Wallick, Cambre, and Randall) to correlate (with significant p-values mind you) MBTI with physician satisification for corresponding specialties. Here's the match up based upon a study of almost 5000 physicians (however this data only lists likelyhood ratios for TWO not FOUR letter personalities). One of the advisors at my school has the specific four letter personalities with top 3 specialties somewhere, but I am currently trying to find it. I will post it when I do: http://www.gesher.org/Myers-Briggs/MBTI Chart and specialty.html
What are you? I'm ENFJ, if memory serves me correctly from my advisor's list, the top 3 choices for happy ENFJ's were Surg, Peds, Psych.

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Talk amongst yourselves...

sscooterguy

I'm ENFJ too! How cool!

ESFJ

As caretakers, ESFJs sense danger all around--germs within, the elements without, unscrupulous malefactors, insidious character flaws. The world is a dangerous place, not to be trusted. Not that the ESFJ is paranoid; 'hyper-vigilant' would be more precise. And thus they serve excellently as protectors, outstanding in fields such as medical care and elementary education.

ISFJ, no one else ? ;(

estj, still have no idea what the purpose of this was.
-mota

snapshot said:
enfp...

stands alone :oops:

Man, I was scrolling down and thought I'd be alone. ENFP over the course of two years (different MBTI tests and taken a good amount of time apart). Noticed a lot of J's so far in relation to P's...

the specialties actually matched up well with my interests, too...child psych, neurosurgery, psych, public health, preventive medicine

goodeats said:
the specialties actually matched up well with my interests, too...child psych, neurosurgery, psych, public health, preventive medicine

where do you see these?
-mota

never mind i'm an idiot.
-mota

ShyRem said:

Another INTJ here! Only 1% of the population according to Keirsey.

I'm an ISTP/INTP split from last time I took this and two of the bizarrely different specialties I've been thinking about are on top for those two.

Aerospace Medicine and Neurology

ESTJ - yeah baby

Ha, OBGYN is third on the list and that's what I'm interested in right now

snapshot said:
enfp...

stands alone :oops:

not alone anymore!

enfp

i think we're 3%? i always think mine is gonna change because the questions are so weird but i always end up enfp.

baylormed said:
Me, too!!!!!!

I am an INFJ. :p

Me too. Yay for us "counselor idealists". We're the original Mother Teresa/Nelson Mandela type yo. Not to mention Martin Van Buren. ;)

solitary ISFJ.

"With their extraordinary commitment to security, and with their unusual talent for executing routines, Protectors do well in many careers that have to do with conservation: curators, private secretaries, librarians, middle-managers, police officers, and especially general medical practitioners. To be sure, the hospital is a natural haven for them; it is home to the family doctor, preserver of life and limb, and to the registered nurse, or licensed practical nurse, truly the angels of mercy. The insurance industry is also a good fit for Protectors. To save, to put something aside against an unpredictable future, to prepare for emergencies—these are important actions to Protectors, who as insurance agents want to see their clients in good hands, sheltered and protected."

My ego is slightly inflated.

INFJ. I've gotten that before, but I've been an INFP in the past, too... I seem to flip back and forth. :)

ENFJ, nuf said.

Interesting, bc I hate psychology/psychiatry

nvshelat said:
Interesting, bc I hate psychology/psychiatry
yeah, i'm infp too but i never even considered psychiatry! i was thinking internal medicine, 10th on the list..

angietron3000 said:
yeah, i'm infp too but i never even considered psychiatry! i was thinking internal medicine, 10th on the list..

i guess i'm you're total stereotypical infp because i so want to do psych. im seems very cool, too.

goodeats said:
Man, I was scrolling down and thought I'd be alone. ENFP over the course of two years (different MBTI tests and taken a good amount of time apart). Noticed a lot of J's so far in relation to P's...

we p's are always the minority. :( i think j's make up something like 75% of the population, and we have a societal preference for j's because j's are the good people who do stuff on time and are neat. p's on the other hand have messy desks, trouble making big decisions and turn in stuff late. :)

I'm ENTJ does that mean I should look at Neurology, pathology, and psych?