Personality vs medical specialty: Myers-Briggs Revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
INFJ!

I vaguely remember taking this test in one of my pharm courses like two years ago, but unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me what I got before... Oh well! That was fun!! Let's do again sometime!

I think a lot of us are ENFJ, I am as well.

ESTJ here as well

NO interest in OB/GYN, but quite interested in becoming a kiddie orthopod one day which seems to be DESTINY according to the test, ha

INTJ...
although I wish there were options for how much you agree with a certain answer rather than just Yes/No

This should be a poll.

I got enfj as well

Members don't see this ad :)
INTP. What specialties correlate?

I'm ENTJ does that mean I should look at Neurology, pathology, and psych?

entj as well
You might like this link (scroll down to NT). I found it doing research for another class & bookmarked it 'cause it's pretty helpful in understanding other personality types.

funny... a couple of friends and i were sitting round today with nothing to do, someone was like i was doing a personality test yesterday its the myers-briggs test, you should all try it. and we did i was enfj which is perfect coz i want to be a surgeon!

Another INTJ here.

There was already a thread on this with a poll:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=401725&highlight=mbti

Two things I thought were very interesting:

IxTJ types were extremely over-represented. SDN pre-allo had nearly 16% ISTJs, compared to 6% in real life. SDN also appears to have an amazing surplus of INTJs--15% compared to 1% in real life.

xSFP types, about 18% of the real population, were severely under-represented on SDN - just 3% ESFP and 1% ISFP.

Last edited:
Extroverted (E) 78.79% Introverted (I) 21.21%
Intuitive (N) 54.55% Sensing (S) 45.45%
Feeling (F) 52.94% Thinking (T) 47.06%
Perceiving (P) 70.27% Judging (J) 29.73%

Your type is: [SIZE=+3]ENFP[/SIZE]
Accuracy: - 5 high 4 3 2 1 low
ENFP - "Journalist". Uncanny sense of the motivations of others. Life is an exciting drama. 8.1% of total population.

entj as well
You might like this link (scroll down to NT). I found it doing research for another class & bookmarked it 'cause it's pretty helpful in understanding other personality types.

Ok, I'm ENTJ (slightly on E, I can be very much an "I" sometimes) and for the NT, that personality descriptor describes me alarmingly well, with only a few things off. Dang. Who knew I'm such a stereotype?

I am really surprised by how many INTJs are here. Almost 16% is a huge number given that in population these make up around 1%. To give you an idea, we were doing something like at work where everyone was standing on a line representing their type. Out of 70 or so people, I was standing by myself, and pretty far away from the rest. There were no other INTJs. It seems we get bad reputation sometimes for not recognizing "superiors." W

While personality tests are not a holy grail, they give important information about your style and communication. Some human resources use that test in fact before they hire someone. Our management (aerospace) did this to enhance the communication between different types of people. It was surprising how accurate the personality test was and it shed light on a lot of things. As rationals, we tend to not understand that SFs value relationships higher than some data. So if you are trying to make progress at work, you must address the "feeling" side of these people rather than give them a huge data sheet to convince them why something needs to be done. This is a very important point.

INTJ...masters of the interweb. Where are you all in real life?? I'm trying to meet more INTx ypes but find it very difficult...

INFJ

What category does emergency medicine fall under?

To keep the streak going, another INTJ here.

I'm ENFJ.

"Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are."

"They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people."

"[They] are likely to enjoy being in study groups. However, they usually function as a tutor, learning as they help others."

That is almost scary correct.

... although I wasn't able to find my area of interest (oncology) on the list.

Last edited:
say.....for trauma surgeon what kind of personality that really suit

Yes, another ENFP...

just google your t ype, the most fascinating info comes up...

Also - psychiatry is one of my interests - so is hospitalist, rhuematology, derm or allergy! I actually want to interact with my patients :oops:)

infp.

i feel alone here. oddly enough, i actually am most interested in the specialties topping nf so i guess it works? except child psychiatry.

shame i can't decide between them yet.

Not going to lie, this explains a lot of what is wrong with this forum.

Am I the only INTP here. Thats surprising.

The medical specialty correlation is completely flawed. Just look at two outliers: no group got neurosurgery at the top whereas internal medicine was very high on the list for all the groups. Why? Because there are more doctors in internal medicine than any other field. Same is true for every other specialty on this list. Essentially, you're looking at the distribution of doctors among different specialties, and not what each personality will find appealing. Don't even need to see the methods for this study to deduce that no useful information can be collected from it. Makes you question the competence of whoever ran this experiment and the point they were trying to prove - Dr. Winer, MD?

I keep getting INTJ no matter which website I take the test on. They're right about pathology and neurology, but I also like rads, so who knows.

If you're a good fit for a specialty, you're a good fit. I think personality type has more to do with careers as a general rule, but not specifics.

Another INTJ here!

I keep on getting different things. WEIRD.
ENTJ/INTJ