PET PEEVE: People who don't appreciate their own state med schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat of a rant.

Lately I've been hearing or reading about all of these ungrateful people who have either gotten into or know they can fairly easily get into their own state med schools. One girl, for instance, already got her acceptance to Southern Alabama med school. She did very well in undergrad there and she got an acceptance almost the instant she turned in her secondary. She lives near that region but absolutely refuses to go there and wishes to go elsewhere for med school. I know another guy who got into Southern Illinois med school. He, too, lives near that region but seems almost very reluctant to attend there, almost as if it were too easy to get in and that he wishes to shoot for elsewhere.

Hey @$$wipes, I live in California, and I would KILL to get into one of the UC med schools. There are only FIVE state medical schools in California, which is a pathetically low number considering California's population and its multitude of highly qualifed candidates. Additionally, each UC med school is in the top 62 (three of them are top 15) and everyone and their mothers apply there. Competition is just ridiculous.

I seriously want to slap these people who are not immensely grateful for getting accepted into their state school. I would trade shoes with you people anyday! :mad:

*whew* end rant :D

Members don't see this ad.

I hear ya...lame isn't it :thumbdown: . Leave the private (expensive) schools for me $$$ :D

My state school happens to be the University of Washington, so I hope like heck that I get in there (but I probably won't). I really envy those who have seemingly multitudinous state schools (Texas, Caly, NY). Mine serves the 5-state WWAMI region (Wyoming, Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho). . . like half the friggin' Louisiana Purchase! I remember when I started college I had visons of Harvard and Hopkins dancing in my head. . . Now its "Hello Geneva!!!" So, yah, shut up you big babies, but also--congratulations, you did it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The dude abides!!! I loved that friggin' movie. I almost peed myself when the ashes blew all up in the Dude's grill! Almost as good as that catting pawing through Mom's ashes on Meet the Parents. Nevermore. . . Nevermore. . . Nevermore. . .

I'm from Utah and we let every state and their dog claim residency. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc etc etc. My thoughts... :thumbdown:

Pewl said:

Lately I've been hearing or reading about all of these ungrateful people who have either gotten into or know they can fairly easily get into their own state med schools. One girl, for instance, already got her acceptance to Southern Alabama med school. She did very well in undergrad there and she got an acceptance almost the instant she turned in her secondary. She lives near that region but absolutely refuses to go there and wishes to go elsewhere for med school. I know another guy who got into Southern Illinois med school. He, too, lives near that region but seems almost very reluctant to attend there, almost as if it were too easy to get in and that he wishes to shoot for elsewhere.

Hey @$$wipes, I live in California, and I would KILL to get into one of the UC med schools. There are only FIVE state medical schools in California, which is a pathetically low number considering California's population and its multitude of highly qualifed candidates. Additionally, each UC med school is in the top 62 (three of them are top 15) and everyone and their mothers apply there. Competition is just ridiculous.

I seriously want to slap these people who are not immensely grateful for getting accepted into their state school. I would trade shoes with you people anyday! :mad:

I'll keep an eye out for how it goes for you (but mostly to see how that bodes for me :scared:). I'm in a similar boat, but I got baggage, too (a full set). It is my understanding that 64% of matriculants present scores that fall within one standard deviation of the mean (from 2005 MSAR: +-0.28 for GPA, +-1.73 for MCATs, with a mean of 3.62 and 10.00, respectively).
Similarly, 95% have scores within two standard deviations of the mean (+-0.56, +-3.46). So by these measures, we are both in like Flynn. . . no? Of course it is more complicated, as you must know better than me by now (I'm trying next year). You have a bunch of interviews though, so it seems that unless you are a real dick (like me sometimes), I would be moderately surprised if you are not accepted to allo somewhere. . . and soon! Good luck at NYMC tommorrow!

There are some of us that ONLY applied to state schools and praying I get in somewhere! Have 2 interviews at UC and OSU - hoping to get 3 more to increase my chance of acceptance. I have a 34 MCAT and 3.98 GPA which would make me competitive out of state, also. GO BUCKS!

jbone said:
I'm from Utah and we let every state and their dog claim residency. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc etc etc. My thoughts... :thumbdown:

Is my info bad, or is the University of Utah kind of straight-laced (not that all med schools aren't necessarily so, to an extent). I don't know how else to put it. Kind of like a by-product of being in state so associated with morality (whatever your beef with their doctrine, and I don't have an opinion either way, the Mormons set a damn good example of living their beliefs, generally, and please don't tell me about the crazy Mormon girl you knew, I dated one, lucky for me, but her 27 siblings were blemishless, seemingly). I guess I'm just wondering what kind of vibe you get there? Shiny, happy people?

In an unrelated vein, is it just me, or is there a disproportionate amount of absolutely gorgeous women in the area up by Temple Square (for those of you familiar)? I'm not the best with beautiful women, so I found myself staring at my shoes a lot, thinking. . . Gud Lawd!!! I'll never smoke a ciggy again.

amberm4 said:
There are some of us that ONLY applied to state schools and praying I get in somewhere! Have 2 interviews at UC and OSU - hoping to get 3 more to increase my chance of acceptance. I have a 34 MCAT and 3.98 GPA which would make me competitive out of state, also. GO BUCKS!

Good God!! A 3.98! I'm so jealous. (I wish I had worked that hard. Regret is the worst of human emotions, I think). It would be nice to have stats (again, I should have earned them, though my MCAT is good) high enough that (all else being equal), you are confident enough to apply to only a few schools. For myself, I think I'll apply to 30+ schools ($150+30*$30 = me shatting myself come June 1).

Pewl said:

CA is a different beast, that's for sure! It's frustrating yeah.. But I can see where these students (applicants that don't go to their own state school) are coming from though.. . Just like you said, the quality of the CA schools is what drives people to apply. For a state school like Southern Alabama, maybe the region is lame or perhaps she wants a better chance at a great residency. Going to a higher profile school will do this. We all know that you are thought to get a better education and chance for residencies the closer you get to the top 25 med schools. She probably feels that she worked hard enough to get a shot at a better school (which unfortunately is not in Alabama).

Who am I kidding? I'm not very good with any women (perhaps b/c I am almost completely devoid of machismo?) That's why I want to be doctor. All of a sudden, on the blessed day that my surname is betrothed to those two beautiful little letters (TP?, BS?. . . no, I know. . . VD), I become at least 10 times more handsome. Just joking, all I want to do is help people ;) . In all reality, I really wonder how much we all would pursue medicine if it had the prestige of, say, a plumber (and I was a plumber for a while, so I'm not knocking our be-buttcracked friends). Honestly, all else being equal. Try to imagine that was really, truly the case. I'll take a stab at it: at least 50% (not a very brave stab, I know).

Sorry, I always get off topic. Back to hating ungrateful state school losers.

einnewt said:
Is my info bad, or is the University of Utah kind of straight-laced (not that all med schools aren't necessarily so, to an extent). I don't know how else to put it. Kind of like a by-product of being in state so associated with morality (whatever your beef with their doctrine, and I don't have an opinion either way, the Mormons set a damn good example of living their beliefs, generally, and please don't tell me about the crazy Mormon girl you knew, I dated one, lucky for me, but her 27 siblings were blemishless, seemingly). I guess I'm just wondering what kind of vibe you get there? Shiny, happy people?

In an unrelated vein, is it just me, or is there a disproportionate amount of absolutely gorgeous women in the area up by Temple Square (for those of you familiar)? I'm not the best with beautiful women, so I found myself staring at my shoes a lot, thinking. . . Gud Lawd!!! I'll never smoke a ciggy again.

No, the U tries to go against the grain. Sometimes they like to believe they are perfect but they aren't. They are pretty much like every other state school I have interviewed at. And yes, the women are HOT :p I love Utah, because are women are Nice :eek: (I mean they have sweet spirits ;) ) Leave those "special" cigars home next time, they'll be on you like flies on shizzz. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Pewl said:
I seriously want to slap these people who are not immensely grateful for getting accepted into their state school.

Hey dude, it's so hard to get into the UCs because they're so desirable. It's not as hard to get into South Alabama because .. well, you do the math. Besides, there are many reasons to not want to attend your state school. For example, I find the prospect of 4 years in Hershey, PA marginally more appealing than a kick to the crotch to start every morning and the tuition difference from a private isn't even very much (<10k a year). It's silly to expect that you should be more grateful for getting into your state school than a private if you're less interested in going there.

dilated said:
Hey dude, it's so hard to get into the UCs because they're so desirable. It's not as hard to get into South Alabama because .. well, you do the math. Besides, there are many reasons to not want to attend your state school. For example, I find the prospect of 4 years in Hershey, PA marginally more appealing than a kick to the crotch to start every morning and the tuition difference from a private isn't even very much (<10k a year). It's silly to expect that you should be more grateful for getting into your state school than a private if you're less interested in going there.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: True

dilated said:
It's silly to expect that you should be more grateful for getting into your state school than a private if you're less interested in going there.

Since 60% of those admitted are only admitted to one school, many of those who are unhappy about being admitted to their state school may change their tune as the cycle winds down.

einnewt said:
Sorry, I always get off topic. Back to hating ungrateful state school losers.

HAHA The Big Lebowski is one of my favorites.

amberm4 said:

The Bucks?! Hell no!

GO PACERS!!! Artest is gonna hand you guys your butts on a platter! =D

Pewl said:

My state school is the University of Maryland. I would LOVE to go there. Have you seen their facilities? I interviewed there last week, and was blown away by what they have to offer. I actually felt proud walking down the halls of the hospital, thinking, "This is my state school!"

If I get in, I may turn down my other acceptance. It will be a tough decision, but U of MD is tough to beat, in my boook (especially with the in-state price tag).

I am from Maryland. Maryland is a small, densely populated state. Plus MD has only one state school. This school is one of the top 50 med schools . . . Plus, it is in the Baltimore/Washington DC area. So many out-of staters have acceptances already!! Those who have been accepted, congratulations.

As an in-state appplicant, I don't think I stand much of a chance. Any other Marylanders feel the same way?

Oh, and the male:female ratio is about 2:3. That does not help me much, being that I am female. Oh well, there's always Hopkins and GWU (until the thin letters come!)

But if I get an acceptance, I will go in a heartbeat! Lady Wolverine, when did you interview?

I'm from NC and I feel you...UNC is #23 in the nation in research and #2 in primary care...not gonna be easy to get in...

Pewl said:

+pity+ +pity+ +pity+

i don't feel bad for you at all. in fact, you're kind of an @sswipe yourself. you have EIGHT INTERVIEWS so far dude and you're complaining about not having a "sure-thing" state school.

Hey, what about Colorado? One school, everyone and their grandmother wants to come to Colorado, we also are part of WICHE and WAMI so I'm competing against 5 other states' residents too. I was complete at my state school 9/1 and haven't heard jack from them post-secondary. Not the first time I applied, not this time I applied. It truly sucks. It's getting almost as hard to get into Colorado as into a California med school. :mad: :mad: :smuggrin:

golftrippy said:
I'm from NC and I feel you...UNC is #23 in the nation in research and #2 in primary care...not gonna be easy to get in...

I have several friends at UNC from Maryland and FL. But you have good stats, and you already interviewed there, so you have a better chance than most! Good luck!

firebird69guy said:
CA is a different beast, that's for sure! It's frustrating yeah.. But I can see where these students (applicants that don't go to their own state school) are coming from though.. . Just like you said, the quality of the CA schools is what drives people to apply. For a state school like Southern Alabama, maybe the region is lame or perhaps she wants a better chance at a great residency. Going to a higher profile school will do this. We all know that you are thought to get a better education and chance for residencies the closer you get to the top 25 med schools. She probably feels that she worked hard enough to get a shot at a better school (which unfortunately is not in Alabama).
Fortunately, some people do their homework before making snide comments about the quality of a given medical school based only on the state in which it is located.

If the student in question put forth any effort whatsoever during undergrad, she will undoubtedly be accepted to UAB as well.

Here: http://www.usnews.com
Scroll down to 23.

Mbkcd said:
Fortunately, some people do their homework before making snide comments about the quality of a given medical school based only on the state in which it is located.

If the student in question put forth any effort whatsoever during undergrad, she will undoubtedly be accepted to UAB as well.

Here: http://www.usnews.com
Scroll down to 23.

How can you say this if their acceptance rate is 14% (not high for a state school) ?
UAB is a very well-renown school that is difficult even for Alabama residents to gain acceptance to. I'm not following your logic...

it seems to suck for everybody on the west coast. here in oregon, instate students only make up about 50 to 60% of the student body at ohsu. hell, they interview less than 50% of us. compare that with oklahoma where ou admits 50% of their instate applicants. both ohsu and ou have about the same number of instate applicants (around 340). 140 of these instaters matriculate at ou (which means more were accepted), and 40 matriculate at ohsu (again, more were accepted but not many more).

the big thing i'm jealous of is having affordable instate tuition. being able to graduate with less than $200k in debt would be wonderful.

I really don't have that pet peeve simply because my state schools DON'T APPRECIATE me.

As far as appreciation goes, the more I learn about the admissions process the more grateful I am to be in Oklahoma (and Tulsa, believe it or not, is a beautiful, terrific place to live!).

For a state with 3.5 million people, it's amazing that we have two excellent medical schools - both ranked in the top 62 in primary care. The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine is a great allopathic school with campuses at the Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City and in Tulsa. For an osteopathic education, Oklahoma State University in Tulsa is top-notch.

And I think more good things are coming - despite having two good schools, the last statistic I saw said that Oklahoma is 49th in the nation in physicians per capita - so I think the legislature will continue to make our medical schools a priority.

Because I'm an older non-trad applicant, I've tried to apply very broadly - but I will be very, very happy to get an acceptance from my state schools. I'm really impressed with the number of people on SDN who are interested in the Oklahoma schools. I didn't know I was lucky to be an Oklahoma resident when I started this process, but I know now.

Non-TradTulsa said:
As far as appreciation goes, the more I learn about the admissions process the more grateful I am to be in Oklahoma (and Tulsa, believe it or not, is a beautiful, terrific place to live!).

For a state with 3.5 million people, it's amazing that we have two excellent medical schools - both ranked in the top 62 in primary care. The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine is a great allopathic school with campuses at the Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City and in Tulsa. For an osteopathic education, Oklahoma State University in Tulsa is top-notch.

And I think more good things are coming - despite having two good schools, the last statistic I saw said that Oklahoma is 49th in the nation in physicians per capita - so I think the legislature will continue to make our medical schools a priority.

Because I'm an older non-trad applicant, I've tried to apply very broadly - but I will be very, very happy to get an acceptance from my state schools. I'm really impressed with the number of people on SDN who are interested in the Oklahoma schools. I didn't know I was lucky to be an Oklahoma resident when I started this process, but I know now.

You know, I doubt you had to apply broadly. For any Oklahoman, their best bet is always their state schools. Both OU and OSU accept around 50% of their instate applicants, and my impression has always been that if your stats are decent and you're not a total freak, you're going to get in. As for the nontrad thing, I don't think it's an issue at either school. When my brother was at OU, he had classmates who were in their 50s, and I know that most students at OSU have had careers before going back to school.

I'm glad that I left Oklahoma and am not sure about living there again, but it does make the medical school application process so much easier.

So you're applying this year? I'm guessing if you were an April MCAT person then you've already received an interview invitation for OSU. If not, I'm sure it's coming soon. If you're following the OU thread, it sounds like the first people will hear something around Nov. 15.

Hey, what are your thoughts on the Tulsa economy. I'm married, so I'd like my husband to find a job wherever I go to school. He's in IT, and I know that Tulsa has had some issues because both telecom and American Airlines are doing poorly. I'm sort of worried about that.

exlawgrrl said:
So you're applying this year? I'm guessing if you were an April MCAT person then you've already received an interview invitation for OSU. If not, I'm sure it's coming soon. If you're following the OU thread, it sounds like the first people will hear something around Nov. 15.

Hey, what are your thoughts on the Tulsa economy. I'm married, so I'd like my husband to find a job wherever I go to school. He's in IT, and I know that Tulsa has had some issues because both telecom and American Airlines are doing poorly. I'm sort of worried about that.

Hey, exlawgrrl - no invitation from OSU yet - long story, but I really dragged my feet on the AACOMAS and they won't get it for a couple of weeks - I tried all summer to get a D.O. letter while I was getting everything else done, but I expect to have that fixed soon. And, I know everyone at OU-Tulsa pretty well. It's really encouraging to hear about successful non-trads - I guess I do know that with a 32 MCAT and a 3.93 overall I've got good stats, but I feel like I'm going to walk into the interview with "Just turned 44!" tattoo'ed on my forehead. I went to pre-reqs with several over-35 premeds who just couldn't pull it off on the MCAT score this year, so I've been suffering some survivor guilt.

I.T. is tough everywhere, and I think that's true in Tulsa. AA is the largest single employer in Tulsa - over 10,000 people if you include Sabre (which is now owned by EDS). I just heard on the news this morning that WilTel has been sold - that's not really good news for us. On the other hand, however- because of aerospace and all the call centers based here (including Dollar/Thrifty rent-a-car) there are *lots* of I.T. jobs. If your husband is good, he can probably find a place. Have you ever lived in Tulsa? It's quite different from the rest of Oklahoma - it's in the Ozark foothills - very hilly, very green - and lots of old oil money. The quality of life in Tulsa is almost a secret. Plus, if you want to hold your debt down, the cost of living in Oklahoma is very, very small compared to almost anyplace else. If you go to OU, the two preclinical years are in Oklahoma City but you can do everything else in Tulsa - it's a very unique community-based system, since Tulsa is one of the nation's largest cities with no public hospital.

My parents retired to Oregon and lived on the coast in Brookings for 15 years. Lovely place - but there is certainly no way to make a living. The poverty of the inner sections of Curry County - devastated by the decline of fishing and logging - were as bad as anything I've seen in the South.

Hope to meet you at interviews!

exlawgrrl said:
it seems to suck for everybody on the west coast. here in oregon, instate students only make up about 50 to 60% of the student body at ohsu. hell, they interview less than 50% of us. compare that with oklahoma where ou admits 50% of their instate applicants. both ohsu and ou have about the same number of instate applicants (around 340). 140 of these instaters matriculate at ou (which means more were accepted), and 40 matriculate at ohsu (again, more were accepted but not many more).

the big thing i'm jealous of is having affordable instate tuition. being able to graduate with less than $200k in debt would be wonderful.

West Coast people are cheap. They don't want to use their taxes to fund medical schools, so their children that want to go get screwed. It's not like all those Texas schools just popped up like weeds. The two Oklahoma schools weren't free for the taxpayers. Since there are fewer taxpayers per school, guess what? Each one had to pay more to fund it. It's not magic.

RayhanS1282 said:
I really don't have that pet peeve simply because my state schools DON'T APPRECIATE me.
I would throw my state school down on a feather bed and make love to it for hours if it would even acknowledge my existence--ahhhh, reminds me of my undergrad years....

gdbaby said:
I would throw my state school down on a feather bed and make love to it for hours if it would even acknowledge my existence--ahhhh, reminds me of my undergrad years....

Sweet, sweet monkey love, indeed.

Non-TradTulsa said:
I.T. is tough everywhere, and I think that's true in Tulsa. AA is the largest single employer in Tulsa - over 10,000 people if you include Sabre (which is now owned by EDS). I just heard on the news this morning that WilTel has been sold - that's not really good news for us. On the other hand, however- because of aerospace and all the call centers based here (including Dollar/Thrifty rent-a-car) there are *lots* of I.T. jobs. If your husband is good, he can probably find a place. Have you ever lived in Tulsa? It's quite different from the rest of Oklahoma - it's in the Ozark foothills - very hilly, very green - and lots of old oil money. The quality of life in Tulsa is almost a secret. Plus, if you want to hold your debt down, the cost of living in Oklahoma is very, very small compared to almost anyplace else. If you go to OU, the two preclinical years are in Oklahoma City but you can do everything else in Tulsa - it's a very unique community-based system, since Tulsa is one of the nation's largest cities with no public hospital.

My parents retired to Oregon and lived on the coast in Brookings for 15 years. Lovely place - but there is certainly no way to make a living. The poverty of the inner sections of Curry County - devastated by the decline of fishing and logging - were as bad as anything I've seen in the South.

Hope to meet you at interviews!

Thanks for the info. It sounds like what I've heard, too, unfortunately. My dad was an MIS prof at OSU for ages, and I keep on hearing stories about him running into former students working at places like Home Depot after they got laid off from Worldcom.

I've never lived in Tulsa, but I've been there a lot. I grew up in Stillwater, which is sort of on the divide of the hilly and the not-so-hilly parts of Oklahoma. My brother and sister both lived in Tulsa for several years -- my brother did his last two years at OU-Tulsa, and his wife's from Tulsa. He's doing rural medicine now because of some money he got while in school but will likely wind up practicing in Tulsa eventually. I went to college in Arkansas, and I do really like the Ozarks. So, we'll see.

Oregon does have a ton of poverty. In fact, Oregon and Oklahoma are pretty similar demographically aside from Portland. Driving through rural Oregon is like driving through rural Arkansas or rural Oklahoma.

MoosePilot said:
West Coast people are cheap. They don't want to use their taxes to fund medical schools, so their children that want to go get screwed. It's not like all those Texas schools just popped up like weeds. The two Oklahoma schools weren't free for the taxpayers. Since there are fewer taxpayers per school, guess what? Each one had to pay more to fund it. It's not magic.

Yeah, but taxes and the uses of taxes is not something your average taxpayer has a ton of control over. Sure, theoretically we have control, but the reality is different. Also, Oregonians pay more taxes than Oklahomans -- I just read that in Fortune the other day. Both are overall low burden tax states, but Oregon was higher. So we do pay, it just doesn't seem to go to go our schools.

I feel blessed to have residency in Ohio, because we have a lot of in-state schools here, in comparison with other schools (I applied to 5 of them, and there are 6). I also applied to other places as well, because you never know where you're going to feel at home, as far as the city and the school/students go. I might not get accepted out of state, and I don't know if I'd go since many don't allow you to declare residency after a year and that is expensive, but I wanted to be safe, and I wanted to have a choice. I don't mind that out of staters might go to the Ohio schools, because I feel confident in myself as a candidate, and I think the admissions committee will see that, and see that I have good "numbers" and good experience. I don't think we should worry so much about what other applicants are doing, just focus on yourself, your dreams, and your confidence. I think if things are right, you will get an acceptance, if not you can't blame other ppl.

exlawgrrl said:
Yeah, but taxes and the uses of taxes is not something your average taxpayer has a ton of control over. Sure, theoretically we have control, but the reality is different. Also, Oregonians pay more taxes than Oklahomans -- I just read that in Fortune the other day. Both are overall low burden tax states, but Oregon was higher. So we do pay, it just doesn't seem to go to go our schools.

Absolutely true. Oklahoma is a poor rural state that happens to have two large, fairly wealthy metropolitan areas. Most of our state funding is pretty modest (it took us a mere 87 years to finish the dome on the State Capitol!) - but I'll give the legislature credit for one thing - they recognized that the only way to advance this state is through higher education. For the future, though - we've tried to lessen our dependence on oil and gas, but the way energy prices are now, the state is going to start getting a lot more gross production tax without even trying - and that will inevitably help to improve the schools. I think both medical schools will continue to move up in the rankings. But we'll never have the state services that California offers.

Goose-d said:
How can you say this if their acceptance rate is 14% (not high for a state school) ?
UAB is a very well-renown school that is difficult even for Alabama residents to gain acceptance to. I'm not following your logic...
UAB's acceptance rate for in state students is ~39%. That's hardly what I would call extremely selective. Still, it is an excellent school nonetheless.

exlawgrrl said:

Vote. Don't like it, start publicizing the problem and seeking to correct it. Instead, Oregon is going to hire and promote professors based on cultural competence. Awesome!

dilated said:

The above is the appropriate response to the OP that I wanted to write but didnt have the energy, besides, the OP is just ranting and as long as he doesnt see the need to make very good sense, I dont feel the need to rebut him.

MoosePilot said:
Vote. Don't like it, start publicizing the problem and seeking to correct it. Instead, Oregon is going to hire and promote professors based on cultural competence. Awesome!

I do vote. Like Oklahoma doesn't hire and promote professors based on cultural competence.

LadyWolverine said:
My state school is the University of Maryland. I would LOVE to go there. Have you seen their facilities? I interviewed there last week, and was blown away by what they have to offer. I actually felt proud walking down the halls of the hospital, thinking, "This is my state school!"
I'm not sure what other schools are like, but comparing facilities at the three schools I interviewed at is worthless - they are all outstanding. The oldest one was built in 1998. REALLY old. :p

i've got no reason to complain. RWJ is filled with in-staters, but it's not as bad as NJMS, which is something like >90% in-state residents. in fact, they interview almost 80% of the in-staters that apply.

and yet.. haven't heard a word.

Tulsa is a gorgeous city. If it wasn't so far away from all of my family, I'd live there. Also, this thread is making me really appreciate being an Okie! Boomer Sooners!

einnewt said:
and I was a plumber for a while, so I'm not knocking our be-buttcracked friends

haha be-buttcracked

NC has 8.3 million residents, and only two state schools. This means there are 72+160 spots, which equals 232 spots for NC residents if you don't count out-of-staters, which take about 20 spots at UNC each year.

I'd love to go to one of my state schools. But we need to get in contact with anyone who will listen and do something about it to try to get more med schools established in the US.