petals around the rose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another quick riddle for anyone interested:

John lives on the 3rd floor of a building and also works on the 11th floor of that same building. Yet every day, he takes an umbrella to work. Why?

(Don't give the answer away if you've heard it before please).

Does he use an umbrella to hit the 11th floor button on the elevator because he is a short person and can't reach it? Answer: yes.

edit...hmm jack posted like 2 secs before me, meh...heard this in 3rd grade

He's too short to reach the elevator button for the 11th floor, so he uses the umbrella to press it. I say the lazy bastard should just walk the 8 flights.

Or not be anti-social and ask a taller person to hit it for him.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does he use an umbrella to hit the 11th floor button on the elevator because he is a short person and can't reach it? Answer: yes.

edit...hmm jack posted like 2 secs before me, meh...heard this in 3rd grade

Or not be anti-social and ask a taller person to hit it for him.

if you heard it before, you shouldn't have answered:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
if you heard it before, you shouldn't have answered:cool:

heh, pretty sure Jack here heard it before too. This riddle has such a random answer, plus u should've said he took the elevator...misleading eh? :p

This is one annoying test and I don't like the way it is set up. It is flawed because if you think deeply about it, you will actually not get the right answer, at least not fast.

1. The name of the game is specifically stressed. Nevertheless, there is no such thing as a two petal rose or even a four petal rose. If you eliminate n<6, you will get many wrong answers.
  2. The puzzle is too random. It throws completely random algorithms. This means that some of us may get the answer sooner if the right sequence of algorithms is given. There are just too many permutations and to make this puzzle consistent for everyone, it should have given you the option to set up the dice in the desired combination to test each of your guesses in a logical manner.
  3. Memory is a very important part of this game, so if it has been a while since you have done anything that requires a lot of memorization, you're out of luck. I guess writing things down could help. but personally, I really didn't want to spend all the extra time writing down so much information.
Here is a much more consistent riddle:
The German.

My solution: (might have done it in excel :p)
nation Norw. Dane British German Swede
color Yellow blue red green white
drink Water Tea milk coffee Beer
cigar Dunhill Blend Pall Mall Prince Blue Master
pet Cat Horse Bird Fish Dog

heh, pretty sure Jack here heard it before too. This riddle has such a random answer, plus u should've said he took the elevator...misleading eh? :p

true, I forgot to mention the elevator.

Riddle:

Joe jumped from the roof of a twelve story building and landed on the ground, unharmed. How?

(obviously, he didn't have a parachute or other assisting device, and the ground was cement).

Riddle:

Joe jumped from the roof of a twelve story building and landed on the ground, unharmed. How?

(obviously, he didn't have a parachute or other assisting device, and the ground was cement).

lol landed on the ground of the roof

I got one:

Chuck jumped off a cliff edge with no parachute and no harness and plunged 10000 ft to his doom. But he landed on the ground 10000 ft below and survived! How? No object/animal/etc. interfered with his fall and again, no harness was used.

a professor flips two coins at the same time, both fall under a desk. he asks the pre-med in the front row (since that's where they always sit) to look at the coins, but to only tell the class if "at least one of the coins is heads". he looks at the coins and indeed does conclude that "at least one of the coins is heads".

what is the probability that the other coin is heads?

Members don't see this ad :)
a professor flips two coins at the same time, both fall under a desk. He asks the pre-med in the front row (since that's where they always sit) to look at the coins, but to only tell the class if "at least one of the coins is heads". He looks at the coins and indeed does conclude that "at least one of the coins is heads".

What is the probability that the other coin is heads?
1/3

Four possibilities if you flip two coins:
HH
HT
TH
TT

Three of them have at least one head. One of the three has a second head. If you know at least one is a head, then theres a 1/3 chance that the other has a head.

well damnit raryn, i was hoping someone would jump at the immediate 50% answer and i would scold and school them, but you win.

1/3

HH
HT
TH
TT

Three of them have at least one head. One of the three has a second head. If you know at least one is a head, then theres a 1/3 chance that the other has a head.

Good **** Raryn, you owned this brain teaser haha

From Scrubs:

I have two coins that total up to 30 cents. One of them isn't a quarter. What are the two coins?

Lol the one is a nickel and the other one is a quarter. lol I was just thinking of this after Lukkie's brain teaser.

what happens once in a minute, twice in a moment but never in a billion years?

I disagree. 1/3 would be the odds of someone guessing if the two coins were HH, HT, or TH. If the coins have already been flipped, the outcome has already been determined, so the probability that the second coin is heads is either 0 or 1.

Put another way, flip two coins. Look at one and cover the second coin. No matter how many times you cover and uncover that second coin, it's not going to show up heads 1/3 of the time.

I think if I wasn't going to medical school, I'd have been a statistician or quantum physicist :D

From Scrubs:

I have two coins that total up to 30 cents. One of them isn't a quarter. What are the two coins?

One is a penny, the other is a 1972(?) dime with a Roosevelt imperfection today worth exactly 29 cents.

Another valid answer would be a penny and a button on which you've written 29 cents.

you have two large jugs, one has a hash mark at 5 gallons and one has a hash mark at 3 gallons. how can you pour and fill the jugs to have 4 gallons in each.

you have two large jugs, one has a hash mark at 5 gallons and one has a hash mark at 3 gallons. how can you pour and fill the jugs to have 4 gallons in each.

5 into 3, empty the 3, 2 (from the 5) into the 3, fill the 5, 5 into 3. 4 left in the 5. Then if the jugs are identical, fill the 3 gallon jug to the same level as the 5 gallon jug. If not, pour the 4 gallons into the jug with the 3 gallon hash mark and make a new one for 4 gallons.

Last edited:
well damnit raryn, i was hoping someone would jump at the immediate 50% answer and i would scold and school them, but you win.
Lol. Sorry....

Reminds me of when you're doing a pedigree with a lethal recessive allele. Whats the chance the child of two carriers is also a carrier if we know that child survives on to reproduce?

At the risk of looking like a fool!

Parents: Aa and Aa

F1: 25% AA, 50% Aa, 25% aa (discount this since it would kill the child)

66% chance of being a carrier?

1/3

HH
HT
TH
TT

I agree with JackInTheBox. If he declares one is a heads, then that only leaves two possibilities, not three. Using your chart Raryn, HT and TH are the same if you used up the heads on the first draw. Your answer is right if you are trying to determine the order as well as the outcome, but the original question was if the other coin is heads. So really there were three outcomes to start with:

HH
HT (or TH)
TT

The student eliminates TT by declaring that one is heads. Hence 1/2 chance for the remaining coin.

Put another way, flip two coins. Look at one and cover the second coin. No matter how many times you cover and uncover that second coin, it's not going to show up heads 1/3 of the time.

thats not a good analogy for this system. we are not dealing with a coin in isolation, we are dealing with the coin as part of a system. its not "a coin", its "the other coin"

1- Fill the three, pour it into the five

2- Fill the three and pour it into the five again, leaving exactly one gallon in the three left over

3-Empty the five

4- Pour the one gallon from the three into the five

5- Fill the three again and pour it into the five

This gives you exactly four gallons..... gottem

How is this still in the Pre-Allo forums... shouldn't it have been moved to the All Students forum yesterday?

Might as well do the popularized one.

You're on a Japanese game show. There are 3 doors. Behind one door is your escape. Behind the other two is immediate death.

You pick a door.

The host, he's a nice guy, he doesn't want you to die. He opens one of the doors you didn't pick, and he immediately dies.

Well, the host is gone, so you can change your mind now if you like.

What do you do, go with the door you originally picked or change your mind and go through the other door.

You're on a Japanese game show. There are 3 doors. Behind one door is your escape. Behind the other two is immediate death.

You pick a door.

The host, he's a nice guy, he doesn't want you to die. He opens one of the doors you didn't pick, and he immediately dies.

What do you do, go with the door you originally picked or change your mind and go through the other door.
Other door. 50% chance versus 33% chance.

actually 66% not 50%

im just a real geek when it comes to game shows and probability theory. this is one of my fav reviews, about that show 'deal or no deal'

http://tenser.typepad.com/tenser_said_the_tensor/2006/06/the_statistics_.html

I read about half of it. Seemed interesting enough. I got good grades in my statistics class but the language was always a little too technical for me to enjoy reading. I hate that show because it makes everyone look like they're greedy. I esp. hate the friends who egg the contestant on as their odds of winning big drop every round.

I read about half of it. Seemed interesting enough. I got good grades in my statistics class but the language was always a little too technical for me to enjoy reading. I hate that show because it makes everyone look like they're greedy. I esp. hate the friends who egg the contestant on as their odds of winning big drop every round.

i dont like game shows like that either. i just happened to tune in one day and was really fascinated how the game worked, did some research and found that link i posted. being a nerd i can't seem to enjoy things the way people are supposed to :scared:

You pick a door.

Wasn't this in that movie 21? Except with goats not immediate death?:thumbup:

At the risk of looking like a fool!

Parents: Aa and Aa

F1: 25% AA, 50% Aa, 25% aa (discount this since it would kill the child)

66% chance of being a carrier?

Exactly.
I agree with JackInTheBox. If he declares one is a heads, then that only leaves two possibilities, not three. Using your chart Raryn, HT and TH are the same if you used up the heads on the first draw. Your answer is right if you are trying to determine the order as well as the outcome, but the original question was if the other coin is heads. So really there were three outcomes to start with:

HH
HT (or TH)
TT

The student eliminates TT by declaring that one is heads. Hence 1/2 chance for the remaining coin.

It doesn't work like that. Imagine if one of the coins was red and the other blue. HT and TH are still distinctly different possibilities.

Wasn't this in that movie 21? Except with goats not immediate death?:thumbup:

Yeah, this is the monty hall problem, as its usually done with goats and cars.

Wasn't this in that movie 21? Except with goats not immediate death?

I thought I'd spice it up a little bit. But yes, that's why I said it was "popularized." I saw it on "Numbers" too before "21" came out.

Alright here's another one I heard in 3rd grade:

You are traveling and come to a fork in the road. You see two Indians standing at the fork and you want to know which way to go, but there is a sign. It reads:

Sign said:
Rules:
1. One Indian always tells the truth. One Indian always lies.
2. You do not know which is which. They look identical.
3. You may only ask one Indian one question.

What do you ask?

Alright here's another one I heard in 3rd grade:

You are traveling and come to a fork in the road. You see two Indians standing at the fork and you want to know which way to go, but there is a sign. It reads:

What do you ask?
What would the other guy tell me is the right path?

Then take the one he doesn't say.

(Monkey Island did this with parrots :) )