Petition to Stop University of Illinois Tuition Increase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaryWildcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I am an M2 at UIC, writing to let you know of some recent developments at our institution. On January 29, our administration informed us that for incoming M1s, the tuition would be raised 21%, to a total of $42,000. This will make UIC, Illinois' only public school, also its most expensive to attend.

We believe this will have a number of disturbing effects on medical education, both in Illinois and elsewhere. By raising the total cost of attendance to nearly $300,000, many more students will be priced out of careers in primary care, at a time when the healthcare system is already projected to reach a shortage of 50,000 primary care physicians by 2020. This will discourage students from underserved, poorer communities from aspiring towards becoming physicians, which inevitably means that these communities will only become increasingly underserved in the future. Here at UIC, an institution which prides itself on diversity, this will destroy one of the most unique and important characteristics of our school.

Even if you are not an Illinois resident, are set on applying DO and are not thinking about applying to UIC, you should stand with us. This hike is a part of an increasing trend in public medical education to shift the financial burden of attendance away from the state, and towards the students. This defeats the purpose of state medical schools, and threatens to turn a career in medicine into a pipe dream only accessible to the richest students. It's just wrong, and we need to stop it now.

If you stand with us, please sign our petition below:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-the-tuition-increase-ui-same/signatures

Members don't see this ad.

Illinois sucks; wish I lived in another state.

You forgot about SIU, though. There's two public schools in IL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did - however, SIU only lets you in if you are from a place that is in Illinois south of I-80. It might as well not exist for 90% of us in Illinois, so forgive me for forgetting ;-).

Also they get as much state funding as we do despite the fact that we have more than twice the students. .. Not fair

Son, I already pay more than $50k in tuition (though it is private). You can't create money out of nowhere, and the school's health system should be subsidizing a lot of that cost already; we're losing money per student even with our high ass tuition.

It's the price to pay for medicine - or those new buildings/sim labs/auditoriums. Saddening, but no petition can prevent these fee hikes from occurring unless the quality of your education will be put at risk. Just ask the University of California system.

Yeah dude - I was an econ major in college. I get that money doesn't grow on trees. You and I are in different situations; I go to public school. As a private medical school, your school is supposed to get most of its money from students, as well as research grants. We are state funded, and thus shouldn't have to pay more than all the private schools in our immediate vicinity.

Also we don't get any new buildings or sims, and our lecturers work for free. We already have 8 students to a single cadaver. We have no idea where this money is supposed to go, only that we'll be asked to pay more with no plan.

This honestly will not effect me personally. I'm going into radiology and have rich parents. However, it's going to screw a lot of other people over, especially those who want to go into primary care, and that's not right. Our states should step up to the bat

Status
Not open for further replies.