PGY-1 and 3 year PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takethecannoli3

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a last-year APPE student at a 3-year program with a pass/no pass grading system. Anything below a 90% was considered a "no pass". I'm currently applying for a PGY-1.

I'm wondering two things:
1) Anyone have any information on the general PGY-1 programs' attitudes about these 3-year schools?
2) Should I be providing any extra information in my letters of intent to explain my program, or will my transcripts speak for themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I graduated from a 3-year program with a Pass/No Pass grading system a few years ago. If you are on the west coast, this may not provide as much of an issue since there are several programs who already or are planning on switching to a pass/no pass grading system. I made sure to include a letter from the dean of my school that discussed the grading system. Your school should have something like that available to you or you can always ask your dean or assistant dean to write one for you. Overall, I didn't receive push back from any of the programs I applied to. I went a little overboard because I was worried about not matching and applied to sixteen programs and ended up getting sixteen interviews and matched at my top choice. These were all in major cities up and down the west coast including San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle. High GPA's are a dime a dozen and a good chunk of those students appear incredibly awkward during their interviews. If you have an interesting CV that has unique experiences, meaningful volunteer opportunities (not the random health fair attendance that every student has), leadership experience, and you made sure to network like a crazy person during school, you shouldn't have a problem matching. Make sure whoever is writing your letters of recommendation that they will "strongly recommend" you as a candidate. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
generally we see programs with a pass/no pass system, as programs that newer and often inferior -(not saying yours is-but from the programs I have seen students from - this is the case).

You are going to need to do something to set yourself apart as far as work, research, or other items.

Reactions: 1 user