PGY-1 and PGY-2??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregfoti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick question for anyone who knows.....

I am a fourth year student beginning the match process for anes.. If I match with a transitional year and do not match for a PGY-2 (CA-1) spot can I join the match next year and apply for
CA-1 for the following year...how does this work because it seems that all of the PGY-2 spots will probably be spoken for?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would contact those programs you are interested in, outside of the match. Spots become available through a variety of reasons (expansion of residency numbers, people unable to report with their class, etc.). A lot of times, if the PD or staff likes you, they will lobby to add you to the CA-1 class or allow you to start off cycle/mid term (that is becoming less popular).

I believe you can still go through the match, but I would assume that the number of positions available through the match would be very slim and most people I know that applied as PGY-1's did so outside of the match.

Thank you...I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.