PGY-1 as "prior military experience"?

HumptyDumptyMil

Almost done...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2006
Atlanta, GA
  1. Medical Student
Just was thinking about the scoring card used during the military match process, and I was wondering if a PGY-1 year is considered "previous military experience"? That should give some people more hope of landing a residency spot without doing a FS tour.

I also wanted to know if anyone knows how strictly the program directors follow the score card when choosing applicants. I have heard landing a residency spot can be heavily influenced by who you know in some civilian residencies. How far do connections help in military medicine?

Gastrapathy

I’m just here so I don’t get fined
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
By prior experience they mean outside of medicine. Prior medical experience (ie GMO, utilization) falls under a separate category. Internship gets you nothing (other than not having to do internship in the future).

I can't answer your questions but, from what I've seen, its a fairer system than people give it credit for.

Last edited:

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
www.whitecoatinvestor.com
  1. Attending Physician
Internship does get you something. I had a residency classmate who had previously done a stand-alone internship which I did not do. He got promoted a year ahead of me, but more than that, he got a location much higher on his rank list for his first duty station out of civilian residency.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.