Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

PGY-1 as "prior military experience"?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by HumptyDumptyMil, Nov 30, 2008.

1. HumptyDumptyMil

HumptyDumptyMil Almost done...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just was thinking about the scoring card used during the military match process, and I was wondering if a PGY-1 year is considered "previous military experience"? That should give some people more hope of landing a residency spot without doing a FS tour.

I also wanted to know if anyone knows how strictly the program directors follow the score card when choosing applicants. I have heard landing a residency spot can be heavily influenced by who you know in some civilian residencies. How far do connections help in military medicine?

2. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    By prior experience they mean outside of medicine. Prior medical experience (ie GMO, utilization) falls under a separate category. Internship gets you nothing (other than not having to do internship in the future).

I can't answer your questions but, from what I've seen, its a fairer system than people give it credit for.

#2 Gastrapathy, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  3. OP
    OP
    HumptyDumptyMil

HumptyDumptyMil Almost done...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks for the reply. I wanted reassurance to make sure i was understanding the guidelines correctly

4. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor Practicing Doc and Blogger
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Internship does get you something. I had a residency classmate who had previously done a stand-alone internship which I did not do. He got promoted a year ahead of me, but more than that, he got a location much higher on his rank list for his first duty station out of civilian residency.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...