PGY-1 chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acetaminophen_325

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seems to me (on paper) you have enough to land at least a few interviews. Maybe tougher to get one at the top of the top, but your background seems diverse and involved enough to explain the 3.4. Busy 3.4 often trumps 4.0 with nothing else to offer.

Were the LORs positive and strongly so? Not the WHO but the WHAT (as in what they had to say about you).
Was your LOI professional and appropriate for each institution?

Don't forget that those things are just as important. I don't know why everyone thinks you HAVE to work in a hospital to get a residency. Sure its a plus but it's not an absolute. You worked in community for 3 years for goodness sake. That's just as impressive. I have friends who worked hospital one shift a month* for 6 months. How good can that look on paper?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Were the LORs positive and strongly so? Not the WHO but the WHAT (as in what they had to say about you).
Was your LOI professional and appropriate for each institution?

Don't forget that those things are just as important. I don't know why everyone thinks you HAVE to work in a hospital to get a residency. Sure its a plus but it's not an absolute. You worked in community for 3 years for goodness sake. That's just as impressive. I have friends who worked hospital one shift a week for 6 months. How good can that look on paper?

Thanks for your comment. I asked specifically if they would be able to write strong LORs for me to which they replied yes. They wrote positive end-of-rotation evaluations for me and specifically recommended that I pursue a residency so I would hope that the letters would be good. I tailored my LOI for each institution. I included general stuff about myself and specific things about their program that I liked during midyear and on their website.

Thanks for your comment. I asked specifically if they would be able to write strong LORs for me to which they replied yes. They wrote positive end-of-rotation evaluations for me and specifically recommended that I pursue a residency so I would hope that the letters would be good. I tailored my LOI for each institution. I included general stuff about myself and specific things about their program that I liked during midyear and on their website.

Then just give it some time (I know, easier said than done). Honestly, I'm sure you'll be fine. Some programs just lag a bit. Whatever you do, do not contact them! I've heard horror stories of people doing this. Long story short, it don't look good. Good luck!

I'm not trying to be rude but what's done is done. Your applications are in and all you can do is wait for interviews. Don't overthink things. Everyone in this forum can tell you you're a great candidate, but ultimately we won't be the ones to decide so just try to get your mind off of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Think positive thoughts and prepare for the interviews that are coming your way!