Shock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Status
Please comment if you have any information on this.

If one is going to do a prelim in IM and then will apply the following year for a PGY-2 IM position (either in the same program or elsewhere), what system does the applicant use to apply? ERAS?? or if not ERAS, what web site?

Thanks for any info.

nradsoit3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2004
Visit site
Status
no need for ERAS- contact the programs directly for unexpected vacancies.

OP
S

Shock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Status
How about this web site called findaresident.com. Is this mandatory?

thanks for the input

OP
S

Shock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Status
I forgot to ask this..

If I am beginning a preliminary in IM in July 2005, when is the earliest that I can contact programs to see if they have any PGY-2 openings for July 2006? Since I don't need to use ERAS, can I begin contacting them well before September 2nd, 2005 (the day ERAS opens?)

AJM

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2001
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
findaresident.com is not mandatory -- you can go completely outside of the AAMC/ERAS if you want. However, some programs may want you to use that website to post your CV, etc. I would ask the individual programs how they want you to apply.

You can definitely contact programs before September, but most programs will not know for sure if they have openings until December-January. You should try to get on their radar before then, though, because once they are sure they have a spot available, they will offer it to the top person on their list. If you wait until after December, you will probably be too late for most programs.

Also, talk with your program director -- they can be a big help as far as finding out who might have openings and contacting programs on your behalf.