PGY-2 position, then child psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if those residents who start psych as a PGY-2 from another specialty can complete child psychiatry within 5 years total like those who start off in psych the normal way as a PGY-1? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you happen to know if those residents who start psych as a PGY-2 from another specialty can complete child psychiatry within 5 years total like those who start off in psych the normal way as a PGY-1? Thanks so much!
I believe that the only stipulation is that 2 consecutive years be completed in the same program, but I'm having difficulty locating that line in the ACGME requirements just now.

I believe that the only stipulation is that 2 consecutive years be completed in the same program, but I'm having difficulty locating that line in the ACGME requirements just now.
What about the fact that he wouldn't have done all of PGY-1 like the other psych residents? Will he need some of 4th year to make up those required rotations? I would guess without any knowledge that it may depend on each program and how they structure their rotations.

The answer is YES. I know of a resident who just did that.