PGY-IVs, how much time are you taking off between residency and job?

siked

Jan 16, 2011
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've been wanting to take some time off for vacation, but m unsure what is standard. My current N is only 3 (my fellow PGY-4s), and I'd like to get a larger sample size.

Last edited:

BobA

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
It's going to depend on your situation.

Assuming you're taking a job for the long-haul and not just a locums position, then I think taking 1-3months off before starting would not be unusual.

By the time you're down to negotiating start date the employer has very little bargaining power left - they've offer you the job, and probably don't want to take several months trying to find someone else. Of course they will want you to start earlier, but this is all part of the bargaining process.

About the Ads

F0nzie

5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
I thought psychation was vacation, so isn't it pointless to take vacation before taking on a position in psychation. Furthermore, you won't get paid if you take vacation if you are not already on psychation.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.