PGY-IVs what offers are you getting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my class most 4th years have a job lined up.

What offers have you been getting (PGY-IVs)?
base salary/ call / location type (city, small town, rural) / loan repayment / bonus / incentives.

What is general salary difference between city and small-town/rural positions?

By small-town I mean 1 hour away from major city.

Members don't see this ad.

base salary/ call / location type (city, small town, rural) / loan repayment / bonus / incentives.

well I am now somewhat limited by geography as my fiance is locked into a position....so thats a factor.

I havent seen the massive difference between cities and rural areas that many mention. I have typically seen more jobs available in more distant suburbs as opposed to cities, but the pay difference hasn't usually been that striking.

Most of my salaried offers(that I would consider decent jobs to work) have been in the 185-195k range. There are some jobs that pay less(VA, cmhc) I've looked at. And some jobs that pay more that are poor environments, bad hours, or real grindhouses....if I want to do hard core grinding I'll do so on my own.

230K guaranteed (for full duration of 3 year contract) for an old-fashioned full spectrum psychiatry job employed by a hospital. Inpatient in the morning (round on 4-6 patients), 4 hours clinic in the afternoon (60 minute evals, 30 minute follow ups). Can integrate psychotherapy as desired. 16 hours per week of clinic is required, but most in the practice see patients M-F afternoons in their clinics (probably for productivity reasons). Productivity bonus which is 100% of everything you generate beyond your base. They count physician work RVUs and then pay $60 per RVU.

The MAJOR caveat is that this is in a relatively small city (about 90K population) in a desperately underserved area. It happens that this city is the major city in my home region and so I have family and friends in the immediate vicinity. It is the tertiary referral center for a radius of about 150-200 miles depending on the direction you go. In much of that radius, there are simply NO psychiatrists.

So, this is a sweetheart deal and probably not representative of what is available in most larger cities in much more desirable areas to live. I'm happy for the opportunity, though, to practice in a model that I believe can meet the needs of the patient and have the benefit of a relatively large guaranteed income with the possibility for significant earnings above that.

It is my intent to stay at this job for 4 years while aggressively paying my student debt and then return to academia as a clinician/educator.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
230K guaranteed (for full duration of 3 year contract) for an old-fashioned full spectrum psychiatry job employed by a hospital. Inpatient in the morning (round on 4-6 patients), 4 hours clinic in the afternoon (60 minute evals, 30 minute follow ups). Can integrate psychotherapy as desired. 16 hours per week of clinic is required, but most in the practice see patients M-F afternoons in their clinics (probably for productivity reasons). Productivity bonus which is 100% of everything you generate beyond your base. They count physician work RVUs and then pay $60 per RVU. QUOTE]

call schedule? do you have to occasionally cover inpatient weekends?

If light call schedule and few if any inpatient weekend rounding, how are you generating that salary? Where is the money coming from? If you're doing 16 hours of clinic a week with 30 minute followups and 60 minute intakes, you're looking at maybe 22 followups and 5 intakes scheduled a week.....do the math on those accounting for a 10-15% noshow/nopay rate and 28% overhead(conservative with that low a volume I would think), and based on a 48 week year that comes out to around 90-100k a year from the outpt side of things if you have a good payor source(no medicare, no medicaid, all accepted private insurance).....which leaves 130-140k for the inpatient side of things, and I don't see how you are generating that with a cencus of 4-6 at any time....unless there is a ridiculous payer mix in that community....that seems like it would have to be a job where the psych inpt service is getting additional funding from the state to stay open, and they are dishing some of that bounty out to the psychs who agree to service the inpatient.

Find someone who with MGMA salary survey book (very expensive book)- it's got a formal break down for different areas and types of jobs.

230K guaranteed (for full duration of 3 year contract) for an old-fashioned full spectrum psychiatry job employed by a hospital. Inpatient in the morning (round on 4-6 patients), 4 hours clinic in the afternoon (60 minute evals, 30 minute follow ups). Can integrate psychotherapy as desired. 16 hours per week of clinic is required, but most in the practice see patients M-F afternoons in their clinics (probably for productivity reasons). Productivity bonus which is 100% of everything you generate beyond your base. They count physician work RVUs and then pay $60 per RVU. QUOTE]

call schedule? do you have to occasionally cover inpatient weekends?

If light call schedule and few if any inpatient weekend rounding, how are you generating that salary? Where is the money coming from? If you're doing 16 hours of clinic a week with 30 minute followups and 60 minute intakes, you're looking at maybe 22 followups and 5 intakes scheduled a week.....do the math on those accounting for a 10-15% noshow/nopay rate and 28% overhead(conservative with that low a volume I would think), and based on a 48 week year that comes out to around 90-100k a year from the outpt side of things if you have a good payor source(no medicare, no medicaid, all accepted private insurance).....which leaves 130-140k for the inpatient side of things, and I don't see how you are generating that with a cencus of 4-6 at any time....unless there is a ridiculous payer mix in that community....that seems like it would have to be a job where the psych inpt service is getting additional funding from the state to stay open, and they are dishing some of that bounty out to the psychs who agree to service the inpatient.

Call is 1 in 7 weeknights and about 1 in 5 weekends.

Payor mix is pretty much irrelevant. This is an employed position. The overhead is irrelevant to me. Productivity component is not related to collections but to physician work RVUs billed. I'm not sure whether you've looked at the RVU numbers but with a $60 per RVU conversion faction, I need to generate 3833 physician work RVUs in the year to make my base (although it's guaranteed for the duration of the contract, so I don't actually need to make it). If you divide that by 48 weeks of work per year and 5 days per week, then I need to generate 16 physician work RVUs per workday.

For outpatient: A level 3 f/u visit is 1 RVU. A level 4 f/u visit is 1.5 RVU. A level 5 f/u visit is 2.11 RVU. A diagnostic eval is now 2.96 RVU. In my current outpatient clinic, the billers and coders are recommending that the average med follow up visit for our patients is a level 4. If you do 2 of those per hour, or 1 new eval per hour, you're generating about 3 RVUs per hour of seeing patients. That's about 12 RVUs for the clinic portion of the day. The demand is such that in this clinic the no-show rates are very low because they have a fairly aggressive termination for no-shows policy.

For inpatient: A new inpatient eval is 2.61 RVU. A moderate level inpatient f/u is 1.4 RVU. A high level inpatient f/u is 2.0 RVU. Based on the throughput in this hospital system, you're typically seeing 3-4 mid level follow-ups and 1 new inpatient eval on most days. If you imagined that some of those days there will just be follow-ups and only 3-4 days of the week will have a new patient, you can come up with a number of about 5.5 RVUs for the follow up patients on an average day and most days will have another 2.61 RVUs for the new patient. That brings most inpatient days up to around 8.

Add those together and you're looking at about 20 physician work RVUs per day worked, which exceeds the base by 25%. Now, let us be conservative and assume that there will be no shows in clinic and there will be slow times in the hospital (although they essentially always run chock full), I'd be willing to cut that estimate down to 18 work RVUs per day. That's still beating the base by 12.5%.

12.5% of 230K is an additional 30K. Not a ton extra, but nothing to sneeze at. Add in the patient visits (many of them new admits) from the time on call and there's a little more to be had.

It's not clear why they would pay this way except that they can make money, or at least break even, doing so. In addition, psychiatry (in a healthcare system) is a loss leader. They take the loss on the psychiatric services provided to patients to bring them in to the system to ensure that they do require a more lucrative medical or surgical service, they will seek care at that same hospital. It's no different than offering coupons or having discounts in the retail world.

The base pay and terms of the contract are further inflated by the fact that although I consider this area desirable and this city very liveable, many people do not. There is a national shortage of psychiatrists, and there is a CRISIS shortage in the frozen tundra.

xLix's set up would be on par with our area--and it's not that undesirable a place to live. :D

Except it having the coldest climate of any of the 50 largest US cities.

Payor mix is pretty much irrelevant. This is an employed position. The overhead is irrelevant to me. Productivity component is not related to collections but to physician work RVUs billed. I'm not sure whether you've looked at the RVU numbers but with a $60 per RVU conversion faction, I need to generate 3833 physician work RVUs in the year to make my base (although it's guaranteed for the duration of the contract, so I don't actually need to make it). If you divide that by 48 weeks of work per year and 5 days per week, then I need to generate 16 physician work RVUs per workday.
QUOTE]

oh yeah I see how the numbers work for you under the arrangement....what I was getting at was(without some subsidy which a lot of inpatient facilities get to stay open) I don't see how they work for them. Payor mix and overhead and actual collections is relevant to your employer. And there is no system in the US that is going to collect anywhere close to $60 per RVU billed.....most inpatient services are going to be lucky to collect even a fraction of that.

Based on this call schedule, I think 230k is a little low, assuming you cover a decent sized >30 inpatient unit.

As a resident, I can moonlight that number of weekends/days and receive roughly 50k/year on that call schedule alone. I'm rounding down as I probably earn a few thousand more on that schedule. For math sake, 50k.

Subtract 50k for the call and you have an average salary of 180k in a rural region for 8-5 m-f.

If you factor in tax strategies for being a contractor on that 50k instead of salary, it is probably closer to 60-70k in a salary gig in my region.

That brings your salaried position to 160-170k for an 8-5 job.

In other words, someone earning 170k in a salary gig 8-5 and willing to moonlight q5 weekends and q7 weekdays will out earn you in my region.

Factor in being in a rural area with likely limited contractor opportunities, and I would be pushing for a raise.

You definitely don't have a bad gig if this is your desired region anyway, but it is not out of the ordinary by any means.

Based on this call schedule, I think 230k is a little low, assuming you cover a decent sized >30 inpatient unit.

yeah the 1 in 5 weekends bit does make it a little different....that's 10 weekends of inpatient coverage. That's worth about 2-2500 dollars per weekend(depending on the size of the unit and other responsibilities during the weekend, maybe even a bit more)...which is an extra 20-25k.

Not sure about the weekday call though. It is hard to get 'paid' in any meaningful way to do that, so I wouldn't include really it in the salary.....although it does take away some of the attractiveness of the job.

In other words, someone earning 170k in a salary gig 8-5

but look at his responsibilities each day......4-6 inpatients per day and 3.3 outpt hours per day, and of the outpt hours he gets 30 minute followups.

It is hard to find a salaried position where you are going to be expected to round on 4-6 inpatients per day and then see 7 followups in the afternoon. That is a *light* schedule with few demands.

The one place you could find such a setup would be the VA. But for many people the VA isnt for them.

CMHCs are going to make you see more patients than that.

yeah the 1 in 5 weekends bit does make it a little different....that's 10 weekends of inpatient coverage. That's worth about 2-2500 dollars per weekend(depending on the size of the unit and other responsibilities during the weekend, maybe even a bit more)...which is an extra 20-25k.

Not sure about the weekday call though. It is hard to get 'paid' in any meaningful way to do that, so I wouldn't include really it in the salary.....although it does take away some of the attractiveness of the job.

The weekend pay really depends on the volume. I work at 3 inpatient facilities. I wouldn't be at 2 of them for <$3k for 48 hour weekend shift. The third is a very light facility with minimal work that pays only $400/weekend on average and I think the pay is great.

One of the two pays up to 5k for board certified docs willing to work full weekends. Assuming max pay board certified - 50k could be just for weekends and not including weekdays. It is a big unit and not fun though.

Huge variety in inpatient gigs can range from $250 - 6k+ for a weekend depending on volume and what is asked of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The weekend pay really depends on the volume. I work at 3 inpatient facilities. I wouldn't be at 2 of them for <$3k for 48 hour weekend shift. The third is a very light facility with minimal work that pays only $400/weekend on average and I think the pay is great.

One of the two pays up to 5k for board certified docs willing to work full weekends. Assuming max pay board certified - 50k could be just for weekends and not including weekdays. It is a big unit and not fun though.

Huge variety in inpatient gigs can range from $250 - 6k+ for a weekend depending on volume and what is asked of you.

my guess is his inpatient facility(he carries 4-6 pts during weekdays in addition whatever the people in his group carry) is probably the sort where you round on 20-24 inpatient beds saturday and sunday with an average pt cencus of 20 or so. maybe 1-2 admissions over the weekend. Probably will take him 3-4 hours each weekend day to round and do notes, then another 1-2 hours for any admission that comes in and answering phone calls. I wouldnt be surprised if his total hours worked is 10-11+. The vast majority of the weekend he is at home hanging out with family, going to kids baseball games, pkaying gold, etc....That's pretty typical of an inpatient weekend moonlighting coverage situation that pays 2-2500k/weekend......you aren't likely to recieve anywhere close to 5k for that sort of weekend coverage. Those types of very high pay weekend inpatient coverage gigs are situations where one is working like a dog generally.

That's brutal. I might take your job for 300k but I'd have to think about it. I thought about it-- No I wouldn't do it for 300k either.

it's not that bad. I bet his usual 'call' will consist of answering 2-3 phone calls a night, and just putting in orders over the phone for a admission. That's doable.

The 10 weekends per year of coverage is more problematic, but my guess is a good bit of his weekend is still free even on those weekends.

it's not that bad. I bet his usual 'call' will consist of answering 2-3 phone calls a night, and just putting in orders over the phone for a admission. That's doable.

Yea but that fragments REM sleep and sense of well being the following day. What's the dollar amount for that?

Yea but that fragments REM sleep and sense of well being the following day. What's the dollar amount for that?

I have bozo friends from college who occasionally call me when I am asleep....it's a minor inconvenience and I don't put a huge dollar amount on it.

The best part of the job is the incredibly light schedule during his required hours.....as michael rack states, when you are only seeing that few pts, some of that salary has to be from the hospital itself contributing money derived from sources outside the money he is generating from professional fees....which isn't uncommon in many areas for partial inpatient coverage in less than desirable areas.

Because any psychiatrist seeing that number of followups and intakes a week(a total of 16 clinical oupt hours with 30 minute followups and 1 hr intakes means only 25-30 pts are going to be seen a week.....some busy practices do more than that in a day) + 4-6 inpatients per day isn't going to generate 230k in collections after expenses. No way. Im not even sure it would generate 230k in total billing(it would be close I suspect)

I have bozo friends from college who occasionally call me when I am asleep....it's a minor inconvenience and I don't put a huge dollar amount on it.

Yea but if your friends are like mine you wouldn't want to miss those random calls or texts in the middle of the night. Some of those messages are priceless.

Appreciate the info, seniors/chiefs. We don't get too many real, hard numbers around here too often! Keep 'em coming, and good luck in the job hunt!

175k, academic, mostly inpatient job with lots of teaching in a city with a baseball team. q6-8 weekends, infrastructure for private practice taking 20% for office/EMR/billing. And I'm very happy.

175k, academic, mostly inpatient job with lots of teaching in a city with a baseball team. q6-8 weekends, infrastructure for private practice taking 20% for office/EMR/billing. And I'm very happy.

your child right? You get that setup for the private angle(if it is really only 20% and it is well oiled...ie what does 'office' consist of? do you get a staff person for that 20% as well?) and you stack and whack stim refills of non-medicaid patients and you can do *very* good.......

iirc you aren't that interested in such a practice....but hell, if they are setting everything up perfectly for you(you'd need a scheduler and office person, at least 1) to stack and whack a high functioning outpt adhd population, you could easily make another 80-90k just doing one day a week.....

your child right? You get that setup for the private angle(if it is really only 20% and it is well oiled...ie what does 'office' consist of? do you get a staff person for that 20% as well?) and you stack and whack stim refills of non-medicaid patients and you can do *very* good.......

iirc you aren't that interested in such a practice....but hell, if they are setting everything up perfectly for you(you'd need a scheduler and office person, at least 1) to stack and whack a high functioning outpt adhd population, you could easily make another 80-90k just doing one day a week.....

That's all very true. It's interesting that a lot of people there complain about the 20%, which is really pretty decent. You don't get a scheduler or much staff support in terms of refills, prior auths, but all the billing/registration being handled seems pretty good. The EMR is well integrated to the billing and they have a decent collections rate. By office, I mean I can use my office at the hospital, which is a perfectly nice office space for seeing outpatients or therapy patients. Not particularly a waiting room or anything. It would be awfully difficult to do any sort of high volume.

Whatever private practice I do will mostly be quasi-VIP patients, referrals from close friends in peds or family med, a few therapy patients, and maybe some college kids from some counselors at the nearby colleges who would like to have more med management availability with people they feel they can communicate with fairly easily. I probably won't do a ton of pp, and I'll have a lot of leeway to take on cases that let me practice in a way I like, even if maybe that approach wouldn't be sustainable. Any of the PP would be moonlighting, it's not included in the previously stated figure. Pretty much, I just want to have some flexibility to do some stuff I enjoy in addition to a job I'm already looking pretty forward to. The full-time job will be heavily medicaid (and I like that), but I imagine the private practice won't be so much, although with kids that's all a bit more complicated (some kids with mental health dx still wind up with MA even in addition to private insurances, etc. it's bizarre and I don't understand all of it).

My wife and I both came from very modest backgrounds, and our politics are worth a lot to us (I didn't take another academic job in another city that would have paid a lot better, but it was a much lower percentage of medicaid, and the main clinic wasn't even on a bus line! that wasn't the only reason, but it was an important one). She's at a top 10 law school right now, and when she's done, she's pretty much looking at jobs that might hardly be paying her 30k a year. And we're really excited!

I think she and I both hate doing stuff we don't like doing very much. So taking a salary hit but doing things we like more is a no-brainer for us. I drink bourbon instead of single malt most of the time, and I'm pretty happy driving a mid-level Honda. Of course, we might regret our decisions when our 3 kids want to go to Dartmouth, Swarthmore, and Pomona.

I imagine in addition to making more money, you probably also enjoy some of these business aspects unto themselves, trying to maximize things a) because they will make money, but also b) because there's something inherently valuable in efficiency, and maybe "fun" isn't the right word, but there's something to be said about taking a complicated problem (how to run a psychiatric practice efficiently) and figuring out how to solve it/manage it. That might be a silly thing to say, but if I'm saying it correctly, it's meant to be a positive statement.

175k for academics is mega sweet bp

three of the academics jobs I looked at paid ~157-160k...which i think is pretty close to standard. There was one that paid 187k starting however, so there are some outliers around.

And I liked 2 out of the 4....a lot. I wouldnt have to grind or stack and whack(which has its good and bad points), and there are certain aspects of academic centers and teaching environments I like. That said, the *killer* with all 4 jobs as at least a partial noncompete with each.

2 had complete noncompetes. An other had a noncompete within some large radius. And then another had a noncompete for certain types of outside work within a smaller radius.

without the noncompete, I would have taken one of those jobs. Of course this was before the fiance took her job, but she would have been able to find a practice in either of those areas.

So basically....it's mid february and I still have no job firmly lined up for July yet.

three of the academics jobs I looked at paid ~157-160k...which i think is pretty close to standard. There was one that paid 187k starting however, so there are some outliers around.

And I liked 2 out of the 4....a lot. I wouldnt have to grind or stack and whack(which has its good and bad points), and there are certain aspects of academic centers and teaching environments I like. That said, the *killer* with all 4 jobs as at least a partial noncompete with each.

Are those generally 40 hr/week gigs? Or would you have time to see some private patients without working overtime?

Are those generally 40 hr/week gigs? Or would you have time to see some private patients without working overtime?

you mean the academic jobs? Yeah they were full time, but in academia full time doesn't always translate to exactly 40hrs per week.....you may end up putting in a little more.

That said, the big problem is that I wouldnt be able to see some private patients(or more importantly take weekend inpt coverage jobs at outside hospitals) because of the noncompete. Since you are interested in academia, you'll see down the line that this is a very common thing and really limits your income in academia. Billypilgrims setup where they are going to let him see his own pts(in their offices?!) for extra money is definately not the norm.

Billypilgrims setup where they are going to let him see his own pts(in their offices?!) for extra money is definately not the norm.

My experience is that many universities will have a similar set up to Billypillgrim's situation in which faculty will see "private" patients as part of a faculty group practice. Usually the overhead the department takes is over 20% (40% is more typical).

You are correct, however, that an academic is usually not allowed to have his own private practice. However, an academic can usually do whatever he wants as long as he gives the university/dept their cut.

Long ago, when I was a psych academic, I was able to do things like psych consults at group homes for the ******ed under a university contract.

185k / 100% inpatient academic / 20% protected teaching time / supervisory call 1:20 / mid-sized city in northeastern US (relatively high cost of living)

Even though I don't have a non-compete, I have little interest in continuing to moonlight when I'm an attending. I'll enjoy my time off and be prepared for the week ahead. Fortunately I have modest tastes and my wife will earn a decent wage too.

Last edited:
I will be finishing up child psychiatry fellowship and moving to California.

$200,000 base salary/100% outpatient with a mix of kids and young adults/call by phone for 1 week at a time every 10 weeks/ large urban city in West coast (high cost of living)/ great benefits including 8 weeks of vacation per year

I picked this job because I feel like they will allow me enough time to do a thorough job with patient care. They allow 2 hours for initial evaluations with children/adolescents and 1 hour for adults, as well as 30 minutes for all follow up appointments. There is also an option of scheduling 45-60 minute sessions for therapy with additional compensation.

185k / 100% inpatient academic / 20% protected teaching time / supervisory call 1:20 / mid-sized city in northeastern US (relatively high cost of living)

Even though I don't have a non-compete, I have little interest in continuing to moonlight when I'm an attending. I'll enjoy my time off and be prepared for the week ahead. Fortunately I have modest tastes and my wife will earn a decent wage too.

how many beds do you have to cover for an all inpatient academic gig?

how many beds do you have to cover for an all inpatient academic gig?

I'm only scheduled to cover 9 beds - all involuntary (long length of stay) and I'll have a resident and med student. This makes it sound pretty low volume. However, I'm the only 100% inpatient doc (and the most junior) so I suspect I'll be the go-to person for vacation coverage. I could end up covering 13 some of the time which still makes it a sweet gig as far as I'm concerned - especially since it's in my location of choice. I'll also be expected to do a fair bit of medical student and resident lectures.

Other academic jobs I looked at were in the 160-170 range.

Congrats, BofA. Sounds like a great gig...

I'm only scheduled to cover 9 beds - all involuntary (long length of stay) and I'll have a resident and med student. This makes it sound pretty low volume. However, I'm the only 100% inpatient doc (and the most junior) so I suspect I'll be the go-to person for vacation coverage. I could end up covering 13 some of the time which still makes it a sweet gig as far as I'm concerned - especially since it's in my location of choice. I'll also be expected to do a fair bit of medical student and resident lectures.

That sounds like an amazingly sweet gig.

if you're only signing your name on the chart for 9 beds a day(X 250 days or so?), thats ~2200 or so inpatient codes....mostly all non-eval types. dont see how that generates anywhere close to 185k in salary.....that said, it's an academic job so the relationship is not always important. The VA inpatient jobs I inquired about have *very* similar setups....you cover 8 inpatient beds max, no other responsibilities, and they start out at about 175k for inpatient.

if you're only signing your name on the chart for 9 beds a day(X 250 days or so?), thats ~2200 or so inpatient codes....mostly all non-eval types. dont see how that generates anywhere close to 185k in salary.....that said, it's an academic job so the relationship is not always important. The VA inpatient jobs I inquired about have *very* similar setups....you cover 8 inpatient beds max, no other responsibilities, and they start out at about 175k for inpatient.

I'm not sure where the money comes from other than that 155K comes from the hospital and 30K from the university/medical school.

They could've had me for less money, but I'm not going to tell them that!

I'm really excited.

I'm not sure where the money comes from other than that 155K comes from the hospital and 30K from the university/medical school.

They could've had me for less money, but I'm not going to tell them that!

I'm really excited.

the money is coming from them just eating the money....Im not sure why this happens, but in some academic jobs and many govt jobs(VA being the obvious example) it is fairly common. Some academic jobs are actually more in line with what you actually have to generate in terms of revenue. Also, inpatient psych facilities sometimes get stipends and stuff to stay open from the state....so to recruit people sometimes they have to use that bounty to sweeten the pot. That may be part of what is going on here.

For people who like working clinical academic psych or at the VA, that is why these situations are ideal. The VA is an even sweeter gig if you like inpatient only work.

the money is coming from them just eating the money....Im not sure why this happens, but in some academic jobs and many govt jobs(VA being the obvious example) it is fairly common. Some academic jobs are actually more in line with what you actually have to generate in terms of revenue. Also, inpatient psych facilities sometimes get stipends and stuff to stay open from the state....so to recruit people sometimes they have to use that bounty to sweeten the pot. That may be part of what is going on here.

For people who like working clinical academic psych or at the VA, that is why these situations are ideal. The VA is an even sweeter gig if you like inpatient only work.

Some of the money in academica comes from "educational funds"- $ from medicare to support resident education as well as medical student tuition. The university/academic medical center is not eating the money. The chairmen/deans are doing quite well.

What is the competition like to get jobs in California?

Anyone else getting offers from CA (for non-child gigs)?

What is the competition like to get jobs in California?

Anyone else getting offers from CA (for non-child gigs)?

I've seen full-time positions in county/community mental health settings, both in and outpatient work, in the $200k-220k range, plus benefits, plus extra call options (in Northern, Central, and Southern California regions.) Not bad, if you enjoy working with this population.

I have an offer for a inpatient position in a county hospital, census of 14 inpatients a day with hours from 8-4:30. It comes with a volunteer clinical faculty appointment from a nearby university and a few months of the year I would have a resident with me and opportunities for teaching some classes with the residents or leading journal club, etc. During those months there would be 15% protected time for teaching. There is internal moonlighting available on the weekends, but no scheduled weekend work and no call, as they have an adjacent psych ER which covers all the ER admissions and overnight / evening inpatient emergencies. The average follow up time for a patient to be seen post -d/c is 1-2 weeks. There is a dedicated social worker for my team, but no NP or other physician extender. The salary is 260 with benefits, retirement, and total 6 weeks a year of vacation / sick time plus 12 holidays. I actually really, really like the administrators, and the other attendings there seem happy and nice. It seems like a really nice fit for me, as I love working with the county population and the acuity of an inpatient unit. If I wanted to, I could start an evening / weekend private practice and I wouldn't have to pay any portion back to the university. Also, it's only 15 minutes drive away from the local jail, where I could see inmates if I decided to continue to do criminal forensic psych evals (mostly comp to stand trial evals) which I do now. It sounds great... but the kicker for me though, is that right now I live in a large metropolitan area which I really love -- and I LOVE :love: my neighborhood and it is also the area where my husband is working in a position that he absolutely loves... but this position I'm looking at is located 65 miles away... that's an hour and 10 minute drive away, maybe more if there is traffic. I am trying to decide if being in my car for a total of 2.5 hours a day will make me crazy. I don't know. My commute now is about 45 minutes and doable with audible books and podcasts. Maybe I could look at it as my quiet time. Thoughts?

It's simple math. 2 hours/day in your car x 5 days a week = 10 hours / week x 50 weeks of work per year = 500 hours of traffic per year. Can you work those 500 hours moonlighting locally at let's say $115/hour ? And make an extra $58,000 ? Or would you rather spend them in your car ? Or would you rather spend them at home if that is a positive environment for you? Personally , I believe the opportunity cost of driving is too high for our limited free time as physicians and I chose to live in a large metropolitan city no farther away than 5 minutes from work/groceries/lifestyle activities. My 2 cents

but the kicker for me though, is that right now I live in a large metropolitan area which I really love -- and I LOVE :love: my neighborhood and it is also the area where my husband is working in a position that he absolutely loves... but this position I'm looking at is located 65 miles away... that's an hour and 10 minute drive away, maybe more if there is traffic. I am trying to decide if being in my car for a total of 2.5 hours a day will make me crazy. I don't know. My commute now is about 45 minutes and doable with audible books and podcasts. Maybe I could look at it as my quiet time. Thoughts?

Definitely not worth it. It's a natural impulse to overestimate how much happier the benefits will make us (e.g., bigger house, yard for the kids, larger salary, etc) but we also excessively discount the costs (e.g., commuting, commuting, commuting).

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...economics-can-tell-us-about-happiness/257947/
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9442.2008.00542.x/abstract
http://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10.1257/0002828041301713

I think what is getting me is not so much the salary or the benefits, but the fact that the other two options I've been looking at have other downfalls, despite being closer. The physicians at those facilities do not appears as happy, don't get as much vacation, and there is extra hidden work being requested of them, not as much teaching opportunities, and not as much room for career growth.

My wife is a psychiatrist, so this post is for her. Any advice/comments are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

She will be finishing her C&A fellowship this July and has two job offers currently, which are vastly different from one another, but she likes both. The location, salaries, benefits, etc are pretty much the same, so it kind of comes down to Type of Practice, Incentives, +/- call situation.

1)

100% Outpatient, may require more than one facility (ie. possibly some travel)
100% Child/Adolescent
No nights or weekends
Salaried, (no incentives that we know of)

2)

100% Inpatient, at one hospital
Mostly Partial (Adult), with possibly some other Adult/Substance/Adolescent Inpatient
Rotating day call until 6 pm, handling admissions/walkins; No nights or weekends
Salaried + RVU incentives for going over "normal caseload", admissions, etc.

Glancing at #1 vs #2 and seeing that my wife is CAP trained, you would think she would gravitate toward #1. However, my wife actually likes working in the Partial hospitalization setting and would actually like to continue doing both adult/child psychiatry. However, in the long term future, I think she wants to eventually open her own private practice (seeing both adults and adolescents). The other thing that worries her a little bit, is transitioning to a 100% outpatient practice where she would be the only psychiatrist, contrasted against the hospital setting where there would be more experienced psychiatrists to ask their opinions if she had a difficult case.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation that could help her with her decision?

Thanks again.

fragilex

Is your husband a physician and/or making at least 150k per year??

I have an offer for a inpatient position in a county hospital, census of 14 inpatients a day with hours from 8-4:30. It comes with a volunteer clinical faculty appointment from a nearby university and a few months of the year I would have a resident with me and opportunities for teaching some classes with the residents or leading journal club, etc. During those months there would be 15% protected time for teaching. There is internal moonlighting available on the weekends, but no scheduled weekend work and no call, as they have an adjacent psych ER which covers all the ER admissions and overnight / evening inpatient emergencies. The average follow up time for a patient to be seen post -d/c is 1-2 weeks. There is a dedicated social worker for my team, but no NP or other physician extender. The salary is 260 with benefits, retirement, and total 6 weeks a year of vacation / sick time plus 12 holidays. I actually really, really like the administrators, and the other attendings there seem happy and nice. It seems like a really nice fit for me, as I love working with the county population and the acuity of an inpatient unit. If I wanted to, I could start an evening / weekend private practice and I wouldn't have to pay any portion back to the university. Also, it's only 15 minutes drive away from the local jail, where I could see inmates if I decided to continue to do criminal forensic psych evals (mostly comp to stand trial evals) which I do now. It sounds great... but the kicker for me though, is that right now I live in a large metropolitan area which I really love -- and I LOVE :love: my neighborhood and it is also the area where my husband is working in a position that he absolutely loves... but this position I'm looking at is located 65 miles away... that's an hour and 10 minute drive away, maybe more if there is traffic. I am trying to decide if being in my car for a total of 2.5 hours a day will make me crazy. I don't know. My commute now is about 45 minutes and doable with audible books and podcasts. Maybe I could look at it as my quiet time. Thoughts?