Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

PGY1-help

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by Dora, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Dora

Dora Junior Member

I have applied for ophthalmology PGY2-2004 and wondering if one is suppose to do IM or General surgery for PGY1?? Which one is the best?? And what are the requirements?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi Dora,

You can do an IM, G surg, or transitional year. I did an IM internship b/c I wanted a good background in medicine. The others in my year all did transitional years. Transitional years are typically easier, but I think you'll feel less competent in regards to general medicine. IM or G Surg will be a tough year.

What is best depends on what you want to do.

4. Dora

Dora Junior Member

Thanks again Andrew,

You have been so helpful.
    Do you know anything about U Chicago and Northwestern?? Are they good?
    I didn't apply to U Iowa but I wish I would have after reading about the program. I guess It is too late now.
    I thought I was highly qualified and applied only to 15 programs and have got only 2 interviews. I guess the PDs prefer American graduates.

Btw do you know anything about been in the past; if there are any ophthalmology spots left unfilled till post match or they are all usually filled by the match. I am nervous that I might not get a spot. I have heard that one needs 7-10 interviews in order to be matched.

5. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dora,

In the past, FMG have filled less than 10 spots out of about 460 positions. The magic number is 7 interviews to guarantee a match. That's why I'm told by many.

All spots will be filled. The match rate for ophthalmology is in the low 80% for US medical graduates now. It may be even in the 70% range soon. It's very competitive.

It's too late to apply to Iowa. The deadline has past.