PGY1-help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dora

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied for ophthalmology PGY2-2004 and wondering if one is suppose to do IM or General surgery for PGY1?? Which one is the best?? And what are the requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dora
I have applied for ophthalmology PGY2-2004 and wondering if one is suppose to do IM or General surgery for PGY1?? Which one is the best?? And what are the requirements?

Hi Dora,

You can do an IM, G surg, or transitional year. I did an IM internship b/c I wanted a good background in medicine. The others in my year all did transitional years. Transitional years are typically easier, but I think you'll feel less competent in regards to general medicine. IM or G Surg will be a tough year.

What is best depends on what you want to do.

Thanks again Andrew,

You have been so helpful.
Do you know anything about U Chicago and Northwestern?? Are they good?
I didn't apply to U Iowa but I wish I would have after reading about the program. I guess It is too late now.
I thought I was highly qualified and applied only to 15 programs and have got only 2 interviews. I guess the PDs prefer American graduates.

Btw do you know anything about been in the past; if there are any ophthalmology spots left unfilled till post match or they are all usually filled by the match. I am nervous that I might not get a spot. I have heard that one needs 7-10 interviews in order to be matched.

Originally posted by Dora
Thanks again Andrew,

You have been so helpful.
Do you know anything about U Chicago and Northwestern?? Are they good?
I didn't apply to U Iowa but I wish I would have after reading about the program. I guess It is too late now.
I thought I was highly qualified and applied only to 15 programs and have got only 2 interviews. I guess the PDs prefer American graduates.

Btw do you know anything about been in the past; if there are any ophthalmology spots left unfilled till post match or they are all usually filled by the match. I am nervous that I might not get a spot. I have heard that one needs 7-10 interviews in order to be matched.

Dora,

In the past, FMG have filled less than 10 spots out of about 460 positions. The magic number is 7 interviews to guarantee a match. That's why I'm told by many.

All spots will be filled. The match rate for ophthalmology is in the low 80% for US medical graduates now. It may be even in the 70% range soon. It's very competitive.

It's too late to apply to Iowa. The deadline has past.