pgy1 in a difficult situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych2022

Reaction score
hello colleagues,

i am currently a psych pgy1 in a difficult predicament. a very close family member is ill and a liver transplant may save their life. i don't know if i would be a match, but it's definitely a possibility. if i were to be eligible AND if i do decide to go through w donating my liver, i will have to be out for around 6 weeks. how would taking this leave of absence affect my career moving forward? i'm interested in an academic career and wanted to start getting involved w research projects toward the end of my pgy1 year. i also need to take step 3 as well. any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Can’t you just talk to your PD? They’ll probably high-five you for being an awesome person and help arrange things.

Reactions: 8 users
Sorry you're going through this. I'm certain any PD would praise you for your bravery. All the best to you and your loved one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could be possible to do PTO + FMLA on any extra, but ask your PD

Agree with all of the above, talk to your PD. Wouldn't be the slightest issue at my shop, we would all chip in to get your shifts covered.

Nothing to add but wishing the best to the OP

Isn't there a weird thing around interns and whether or not they are considered employees under FMLA? There's something like a 6-8 provision checklist that must be met for someone to qualify.

FMLA doesn't apply until you've been with your employer one year. That said, if your PD is a decent person (most are) they will figure out a way to make things work.

Reactions: 1 users
FMLA doesn't apply until you've been with your employer one year. That said, if your PD is a decent person (most are) they will figure out a way to make things work.

There is that provision, but there is also an internship provision. Mostly applies to unpaid interns, but there is also something regarding if it is part of a certain portion of a training program. For example, out interns would not be covered, for a variety of reasons, one being the one year worked provisions, but also others.

reading between the lines here, it seems like you might be ambivalent about being a potential liver donor and hoping to have some way out. being a liver donor is not insignificant - it is major surgery, there is a risk of death, it does mean 4-7 days in the hospital and at least 6 weeks recovery assuming everything goes smoothly. Depending on how physically active you are, you may never be the same again. there is an increased risk of depression and suicide in liver donors. I had one case of PTSD post liver donation which is of course fascinating to think about how that occurs. There can be a lot of tension and coercion to put yourself forward, and also feelings of resentment can develop for family members who do not or resentment and hostility for being asked. There is a good chance you may not be compatible for some reason. You will have to opportunity to talk to an independent living donor advocate who should support you regardless of your decision. also, if you decide to bail out at any time, then no one will know the reason, they will just say it wasn't a match medically. but that can lead to feelings of guilt rather than relief. it's a horrible situation to be in. however, if all goes well, this will have no impact on your career, and most programs would be supportive of this. also, presumably there is some flexibility in when you would do this. live donation isn't usually necessary if the person is critically ill as that bumps people up higher on the transplant list for a deceased liver, it's usually more chronic liver disease where live donations occurs.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm trying to understand how being a liver donor would permanently alters one's physical activity level.

I'm trying to understand how being a liver donor would permanently alters one's physical activity level.

Lactate buffering and metabolism decreases, no? Good Ole cori cycle.
In general it seems like it would throw off your ability in high stress states which involves strenuous activity.

/me shudders

yeah my understanding was that you basically end up regrowing almost all of the liver they remove within a matter of months, but I can't pretend to know the long term sequelae in general

yeah my understanding was that you basically end up regrowing almost all of the liver they remove within a matter of months, but I can't pretend to know the long term sequelae in general

I suppose not being able to drink for those months could be traumatizing.

its not liver donation, its having major surgery like this. I had a patient who was a young liver donor and now some years later in his mid-20s he notices that he can experience pain and fatigue with high levels of physical activity (there is a complex psychological overlay too but even discounting that, of course having such surgery is going to have an affect on you). this is someone who does a lot of sport. if you aren't particularly physically active, it may not be a problem, but if you are in can be. most liver donors are older too (in their 50s). many altruistic liver donors are first responders (e.g. firefighters, EMTs etc) and they have to be told them may never be able to return to front line work. I use to do all the liver donor psych evals at one of the largest liver transplant centers.

I would personally totally do it and not even worry about residency. Obviously talk to your PD but if this is a close family member, for me. I would put that first. I took a year off during med school and sat out a year after graduation to take care of my Grandma who is the person who will always be the closest to me in my heart. I know this will be a big red flag when I apply for a second residency and I am sure it was a red flag when I applied to psych but I have no regrets.

At least get tested. You may not even be a match and may be thinking about this needlessly.

Reactions: 3 users
What would happen is to burn through all your paid annual and sick leave (if any). Then, you would take FMLA leave for the rest of the time. You can get up to 90 days of unpaid leave. I cannot see where an employer can deny you FMLA. I am sure an attorney would love to take that to court with this situation. Plus, if your program was a bitch about this, then it says a lot about them. You will be required to make it up at the end of residency. How nice they are about letting you easily do that is up to your program. But first, see if you are even a match. lol