1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

PGY1 in California?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by luminator, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. luminator

    Apr 29, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know what the word is on PGY1 in cali?
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. crazy_sherm

    crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

    Jul 18, 2004
    Likes Received:
    Someone sent me this from the CDA:

    CDA Update on PGY-1 Licensure in California (SB 683) April 20, 2007
    In order to answer some questions regarding the use of PGY-1 as a licensure pathway in
    CA, the CDA Student Delegation has compiled the following information from CDA's
    Public Policy Division. The information below represents CDA's current understanding
    of how and when the PGY-1 legislation will likely be implemented. If changes occur in
    the future, you will be made aware as the details become available.

    Please contact your CDA Student Representative if you have any further questions.

    1) I heard PGY-1 was effective as of January 1, 2007. Why is it not fully
    implemented yet?
    Although PGY-1 became effective January 1, 2007, the Dental Board of
    California (DBC) still needs to develop a "sign-off" form to be completed by the
    residency program director, assessing the student's core competencies (similar to
    the criteria evaluated when a candidate takes the WREB or state exam). That form
    is currently being developed, but that, combined with the implementation of the
    necessary regulations, will take some time, and may possibly not be completed
    until next summer/fall (2008).

    2) What does that mean if I am starting an AEGD or GPR program this year?
    If you sign up for a 1-year residency program beginning this May, the DBC may
    not be ready to accept your application when you are finished in April/May 2008.
    Therefore, if you plan to practice immediately after completing your residency in
    2008, you may still need to take a WREB or state licensing exam.

    3) Do any programs require a student to have a license before entering?
    Yes, there are some residency programs that will continue to require a student to
    obtain a license either before they enter the program or before their year is
    complete. This may be due to their own policies or federal requirements (as in the
    case of the VA programs). Therefore, it is very important for each student to ask
    their program whether they are required to obtain a license before their residency
    is complete.

    More Information:

    Since this issue is being handled by the DBC, we suggest that students periodically check
    the Board's website for updates:

    http://www.dbc.ca.gov/ �� click on SB 683 (General Residency Pathway to Licensure)

    In short, we probably won't know for sure until summer/fall of 2008.

Share This Page