daveyjwin

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
FL ,USA
Status
Attending Physician
My girlfriend is going to be an incoming PGY1 at WRAMC this coming June, and has applied for housing at a couple of apartments. However, they are asking for proof of income before they can sign her up for the spot. I was wondering what would suffice for them or what other people have used for this situation, as she has already told them that she is getting roughly [what's specified below] from the Army, but they said they need something official.

From another thread:
military pay is a matter of public record and it helps to know what you should expect to see in your paycheck. your BAH will be different if you have dependents. in the example below if you have dependents your BAH will be 2433/mo. unlike your base and special pays BAH is not taxed. i would advise you not to pay much more than your BAH in rent, but $2500 looks pretty close to $2433. i always try to find a rent/mortgage for less than the total allowance, but that's my opinion.

Assuming you are an O-3 with less than 2 years and no dependents you will likely see:

Base pay:3,660.60
BAS:was 223.04, i haven't seen what it is for 2010 but it should be a smidge higher
BAH:2148.00
VSP: $100 for interns

That's 6131.64/mo then you have to pay:

Federal Taxes (figure around 5%)
State Taxes (if you decide that you live in a state with taxes, but let me tell you that there are plenty that don't - FL, TX, WA, among others).
Soc. Sec
Medicare
SGLI (life insurance)
TSP (if you decide to invest)

Overall assume you don't get to keep around 10% which would leave you with around $5500/mo.
Thanks!

tulane06

Private Joker
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My girlfriend is going to be an incoming PGY1 at WRAMC this coming June, and has applied for housing at a couple of apartments. However, they are asking for proof of income before they can sign her up for the spot. I was wondering what would suffice for them or what other people have used for this situation, as she has already told them that she is getting roughly [what's specified below] from the Army, but they said they need something official.

From another thread:

Thanks!
She should contact the GME office at WRAMC, they will put the information similar to that you quoted on a formal letter. That should be sufficient for proof of income at most places.