PGY1 wanting to get a Job SoCal after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImgEmHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PGY1 doing my residency in Florida. My entire family lives in California and are completely non-medical (no connections). I am not trying to get a job at Keck or some major trauma center. I would completely happy working at small community hospital as long it was located in SoCal and in a county that is connected the the water (San Diego, OC, LA, Ventura, Santa Barbara.) I was curious about the disadvantage I am being on the east coast. And what can I do to improve my prospects of getting a job in SoCal because I have heard it is competitive. Money is not huge deal, I have very small amount of loans. I would choose location over money in a heartbeat.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're willing to work for $130 an hour you should be good

You will be able to get the job without doing anything extra other than finishing residency successfully.

However salary and cost of living is the issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speak with your program director. Hopefully your program has had a few graduate that have made it out to southern CA, or a faculty member knows people out that way and can help with the job hunt.

Reactions: 1 user
Speak with your program director. Hopefuloly your program has had a few graduate that have made it out to southern CA, or a faculty member knows people out that way and can help with the job hunt.
Essentially this. talk to your program director or other senior faculty, assuming your program isn't completely new there are likely some graduates in socal they can hook you up with. but as implied by others you do get payed less in southern California or frankly any other popular place to live.

Look at fellowships, also. Would give you a foot in the door in the area and marketable skills to help with the post-fellowship job search.

If I were you, I'd live in SoCal, but live near an airport so you can do locums. You can rock out $300/hr in TX for 3 days a week, then chill in SoCal the rest of the week.

If I were you, I'd live in SoCal, but live near an airport so you can do locums. You can rock out $300/hr in TX for 3 days a week, then chill in SoCal the rest of the week.

Thats what I would do. I would never work for less than 200/hr in a somewhat busy hospital based ED. NEVER. Any EM doc making less than that are making someone very rich.

Have some self respect.