PGY2 Critical Care - Post Residency Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Detter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are trained in critical care, what position did you take right out of residency? Also, how would you rate your job satisfaction and work/life balance that came with that position?

I ask this because I am doing my critical care PGY2 right now and have seen several critical care pharmacists get burned out, and some of them have quit. Now that I am starting to look at jobs for after residency, I want to take a closer look at work/life balance of different options before I decide to pursue a certain path.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One piece of advice I have is to look for an hourly job vs a salary job.

My salaried friends answer their work email at dinner and 11pm because that's the culture where they work.

I certainly don't mind a text or 5 when I'm at home, but I don't answer emails about policies at that hour.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Consider the demands of teaching (PGY2, PGY1, students). Even if you have a passion for teaching and enjoy it, this is a huge time commitment to your day.

Also, when you interview, consider the vibe you get from the clinical director/ director of pharmacy. They set the tone for the whole dept, as well as how nursing and medicine divisions perceive the pharmacy dept. A good director will support their staff and not overburden them. If it's a clinical coordinator position, I think a good indicator of this is how many clinical coordinator positions there are relative to the bed # size of the hospital- if it's a low ratio, thats a potential sign that they're stretched thin/get overworked or frequently assigned tasks/projects outside of their specific area of practice. If it's a healthy/high ratio, that's a good sign that the hospital leadership really supports clinical pharmacy services and has approved those positions to begin with.

Reactions: 1 user