PgY2 switching to psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychtoobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need input from anyone who might be able to help. I am a current pgy2, completed IM (internship)pgy1 in July and now in my specialty- so this is technically my 1st year in my dept. (I will leave my specialty unnamed because I want to be as anonymous as possible). I originally wanted to do psych but allowed my friends to talk me out of it. I m miserable now in my chosen specialty as I went to medical school originally to do psych.
Curently in Southern california but would like a PgY2 position in northern cali for family reasons.
Questions:
-How do I go about informing my PD that I want out? Is this the right time to do it? My progam is small and My PD likes me and I'm feeling bad Quiting on him like this
-Do I go though ERAS for PGY2 or should I aim for PGY1
- I'm Ameican grad, how do i go about getting Eras token if I have to go thru eras
- How can I find list of open positions
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I originally wanted to do psych but allowed my friends to talk me out of it. I m miserable now in my chosen specialty as I went to medical school originally to do psych.

You are doing the right thing if you really want to go into psychiatry. Its you who has to pull in the 60-80 hrs a week, not your friends.

-How do I go about informing my PD that I want out? Is this the right time to do it? My progam is small and My PD like me and Im feeling bad Quiting on him like this
Tell this person as soon as possible--all things being equal. When I say that, I mean if your PD is actually a good person and does his/her job. It shouldn't be held against you that you want to pursue a different field. IF anything, and if this person is good, he/she will help you along with your decision.

-Do I go though ERAS for PGY2 or should I aim for PGY1
I don't know if both options are available, but if they are, I'd do that. Reason being is that there are very few PGY-2 positions, and you'll have a better chance as a PGY 1. However if you must decide either or, then you'll have to weight the decision's pros and cons and make that choice.

The list of open places? Aw nuts, I don't remember. Anyone who applied more recently want to answer this one?

Thanks for the advise, you are right, if the PD is as nice as I believe he is, he should perhaps understand my situation. I will tell him this week. Also, should in case i dont get a PgY2 position epecially since im geogaphically restricted(have to stay in northern Cali) would you suggest doing a year of psych reseach instead of doing PGy3 in smth that I hate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since there are only a handful of programs you're interested in, I would contact the PD of each one directly and inquire about open PGY-2 positions. It's a bit of a long shot but people do drop out for various reasons. You would have had a better chance if you decided this before the current academic year started, but I think programs still have until October 1st to fill an open spot.

Thanks encephalopathy. I'm actually looking to starting Psych in July 2010 and finish out my pgy2 at my current residency.

Since there are only a handful of programs you're interested in, I would contact the PD of each one directly and inquire about open PGY-2 positions. It's a bit of a long shot but people do drop out for various reasons. You would have had a better chance if you decided this before the current academic year started, but I think programs still have until October 1st to fill an open spot.
Does that mean that its not too late to switch this academic year?:confused:

You should definitely let your PD know. It will allow him/her to help you navigate the change and to look for a replacement for year for next year.

The decision about PGY1 vs PGY2 is determined mainly by what you have already done. If you are in a Peds, IM, Fam Medicine, Neuro, Emergency Medicine, OB/gyn residency then you will probably enter at the PGY2 level. If you are in something else (e.g. path, surgery), you will probably need a PGY1 slot. The important factor is whether you have have met the following requirement:
"a minimum of four-months in a primary care clinical setting
that provides comprehensive and continuous patient care in
specialties such as internal medicine, family medicine,
and/or pediatrics. Neurology rotations may not be used to
fulfill this four-month requirement. One month of this
requirement may be fulfilled by either an emergency
medicine or intensive care rotation, provided the experience
is predominantly with medical evaluation and treatment and
not surgical procedures"

If you have then you would probably enter as a PGY2. Most programs that take PGY2s take them outside of ERAS.

The best way to find out about open positions is to call programs. The question for you will be if there are no openings in northern CA will you go elsewhere. You can also try the Find A Resident Service at AAMC. http://www.aamc.org/programs/findaresident/start.htm I don't know how many programs are putting their positions there.

It is usually a bad idea to try and change programs mid-year. The ABPN usually does not give credit for a "split-year."

My program lost a resident and the PD said they officially had until 10/1 to fill the spot but I don't know if that applies everywhere. Even if it did, the chances would be pretty slim that A) there is even a N. Cal program that needs an R2 and B) they'll approve you and you can get all the registration stuff done. But still worth a shot if it could save you a year.

My question is why would you do another year in IM (or whatever) when you're only going to get credit for 4 months of medicine and you'd be entering psych at a PGY-2 level anyway? Take a year off.

Thanks to both Encephalopathy and psych attending for your suggestions. My intern year was in Internal medicine and so I have at least 10 months of medicine, 1 month of neuro and one elective month,but my PGY2 that im in right now has no IM at all. But I think my intern year has fufilled the IM requirement, and one month of neuro ( I think I prob need 2 -3 neuro months for psych program)

I was not able to get in touch with my PD today but I have an appt scheduled for tommorrow. Called all the northern Cali psych programs today but no PgY2 openings as of now, I will have to keep trying and might have to through ERAS for PGY2 if nothing opens up by July.

And Even if I get smth now I will feel very bad having to leave mid cycle and Prob going to wait till July anyway.

If anyone on the forum knows of any possible openings in Northen Cal, pls let me know. Thanks

I would give it a little more time for some positions to open up before stressing about it. I think it's a little too early in the year to expect programs to know if they're going to have open PGY-2 slots for July...the interns just started 2 months ago.

I actually know quite a few people who have switched into or out of psych at PGY-2 level. I know a few others who have stayed in psychiatry but switched programs after PGY-1 year. In all the cases I recall, the residents realized/decided they wanted to make a switch sometime between October and January. So their PDs essentially weren't aware that they were going to have open PGY-2 spots to offer until the late fall, essentially. The latest decision I know of was a resident who decided to switch programs, but didn't notify his PGY-1 psych PD that he was leaving until late February...leaving the program w/ an unexpected open PGY-2 spot very late in the season.

So don't despair. Keep in contact with those PDs and let them know you are really interested. Consider asking them to take a look at your materials and keep you in mind if a spot opens up later.

So you're basically going to do a whole PGY-2 year and not get credit for it cause you're nice and don't want to leave your program hanging? You only need 4 months IM and 2 months Neuro, anything beyond that is non-contributory for psych residency.

Why are the reasons the OP wants to switch into psych? Just curious what plays into these decisions.

Why are the reasons the OP wants to switch into psych? Just curious what plays into these decisions.

I went to med school with the intentions of doing psych, somewhere along the way during 4th yr, allowed myself to be swayed into doing smth else. Now im regretting it and don't find the same satisfaction that I find in psych, and i'm basicaly miserable. :(

Your case appears to be the same thing I mention from time to time. Several medstudents come onto this forum and ask "I'm interested in psychiatry, but my friends don't want me to do it"

Medical school is medicine-centric. Think about it, most of the professors are either Ph.D.s in a non-psychiatric biological/physiological area and the majority of rotations are in areas where IM is more heaviliy needed.

Their prejudices shouldn't turn you away from what really is a life defining decision. In most cases, the doctors that tried to deter people away (unless it was their own field) did so based on egocentric and prejudicial reasons.

In fact I hardly know anyone who really has kept in good contact with their friends in medschool. Residency--and doing crazy hours just has a thing where it prevents you from talking to people from previous stages in your life. You don't got the time to keep contact, and the mutual outlooks start to differ.

As for being in psychiatry, if you do your job right, other doctors in other fields will respect you, and the work you do. In any university hospital, you will be working with several different medical disciplines. Several times I've seen doctors from any field respected or disliked for what they did, not which field they were in. Several of the highest respected doctors were psychiatrists.

I think it's a little too early in the year to expect programs to know if they're going to have open PGY-2 slots for July...the interns just started 2 months ago.

I don't know. From what I've seen, open PGY-2 spots are hard to come by, and yes, while its less likely to happen now, when they happen, some programs usually don't inform the general public. They usually just try to get a PGY-2 using their own little grapevine.

One of my former PDs put it this way. If he were to announce to the world that they had an open PGY-2 spot, his program coordinator would've been flooded with calls from very anxious people who will call 10x and berate the coordinator. If he uses the grapevine, he'll get about 10 people for consideration, all of whom already have some connection with the program.

IMHO, since PGY-2 spots are hard to come by, I would be very pro-active on trying to find one, even now. The very fact that its early in the year could mean a spot is open because a PGY-1 didn't show up (and I've seen that happen. One guy didn't pass USMLE Step 1-got his results just days before the program started, the other guy got so homesick he was out within 2 weeks). That spot can be filled by a PGY-2.

I would call up any program in the area you want to be in, and humbly ask if any spots were open, and to leave your contact info. If you called more than once, I would leave some very comfortable space in between calls because calling too frequently can tick the coordinator off. I would not berate, impose or push the coordinator who answers your call. If you push these things too much--guess what? That coordinator is just as likely to toss your data in the trash, or tell the PD that you come off as a jerk and to not consider you. The coordinator in case you didn't know usually doubles as the department secretary.

A lawyer buddy of mine told me to always remember, the secretary is the gatekeeper. Impress him/her and you're halfway to getting what you need from his/her boss. While I was chief, there were a few applicants who seemed "off" to me. E.g. the person the entire interview had a flat affect, showed no interest in psychiatry, etc. The first person I'd ask for more info on the person was the coordinator, and her input was very important. She already been through the person's file a few times, and interacted with that person a few times over the phone. She told me of a few times where some of the applicants berated her in a very rude manner. Of course I'm going to factor that in when I know so little about the candidate.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the above advice, greatly appreciated!

My program would accept a PGY2 for this coming July, however you probably want to stick to California. So just heads up.

thanks for the heads up, yes I need to stay in california.