Position Wanted PGY3 position wanted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bageera

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed 2 years of internal medicine residency. Unfortunately my contract was not renewed as I have not taken step 3 during the first 18 months of residency due to personal illness. I have already taken it now and passed on first attempt. I have excellent LOR from the PG and department attending chiefs of ID, Nephro and PULM crit. Meanwhile I have been doing medical research.

I think I have a good chance to land a position, problem is I have not seen an opening since january this year for PGY3 IM positions on FINDARESIDENT and RESIDENTSWAP.

I sincerely would like help to find such a position and also if there is any additional resources I can utilize.

Best regards

Dr. Mustafa Mustafa

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if any of the newer programs would take you on since they don't have any upper levels? Not sure how that works......

Do you have to complete more than one year to graduate? In some specialties you have to be somewhere a minimum time to graduate

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard for FM you have to do the last two years in the same residency spot. So even if you transferred with enough credits to be a PGY3, you still have to do two years there. I wonder if thats the same for other specialties.....good point. So OP should be looking at PGY2 spots also IF IM is the same as FM. I know someone who was let go after completing second year of FM. The resident found another spot but started as a PGY2 since resident had to do two years at same spot to graduate from there.