Ph.D After Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNSN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

My career goal, like most of you, is academic medicine -- specifically in biological basis of depression.

My question is this: if I get an MD and finish residency, is it possible for me to them apply to Ph.D programs in neuroscience? Is it typically done? What pitfalls are there? Will having an MD make me more competitive for the very best graduate schools?

I ask this because even though I have good grades and research experience, I don't feel I will get into any MD/PhD programs when I apply in 1 year. And I just wanted to know, does not getting into an MD/PhD program destroy my chances of being able to get both degrees? The life of a clinician-researcher appeals to me so much. The idea of working with the mentally ill on Thursday and then researching their illness on Friday just seems so cool -- I am being a part of the solution on all fronts (research and clinical care).

So, any thoughts? Is it possible to get a Ph.D after medical school and residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, all.

My career goal, like most of you, is academic medicine -- specifically in biological basis of depression.

My question is this: if I get an MD and finish residency, is it possible for me to them apply to Ph.D programs in neuroscience? Is it typically done? What pitfalls are there? Will having an MD make me more competitive for the very best graduate schools?

I ask this because even though I have good grades and research experience, I don't feel I will get into any MD/PhD programs when I apply in 1 year. And I just wanted to know, does not getting into an MD/PhD program destroy my chances of being able to get both degrees? The life of a clinician-researcher appeals to me so much. The idea of working with the mentally ill on Thursday and then researching their illness on Friday just seems so cool -- I am being a part of the solution on all fronts (research and clinical care).

So, any thoughts? Is it possible to get a Ph.D after medical school and residency?

Ummm you probably could...but why would you? You can do research with an MD degree...you will have a little harder time getting funding but it still can be done... try finding an MD program with distinction in research...that should do the trick...you wont want to go back to school to barely making it financially when you can get a job easily and make 130,000+

If you want to do academic medicine just go get a Phd...dont waste the time with the extra MD...it is not necessary...

you can, but they are likely longer and well its better to do these in parallel through a combined program rather than separate for a variety of obvious reasons. furthermore, most md/phd program consider you for md anyways even if you don't get the combined program. you are allowed to conduct research (ie obtain money) as a MD, infact many clinical researchers only have MDs. the PhD is more used for like physician-scientist where you interact a lot with basic science. at least that is my point of view. i think your going to be fine, assuming you keep up good stats accross the board. good luck and best of wishes

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm you probably could...but why would you? You can do research with an MD degree...you will have a little harder time getting funding but it still can be done... try finding an MD program with distinction in research...that should do the trick...you wont want to go back to school to barely making it financially when you can get a job easily and make 130,000+

If you want to do academic medicine just go get a Phd...dont waste the time with the extra MD...it is not necessary...
Nope, I also want to practice. I want to see patients. The MD is a must for me. It is the Ph.D that I am contemplating.

And thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

you can, but they are likely longer and well its better to do these in parallel through a combined program rather than separate for a variety of obvious reasons. furthermore, most md/phd program consider you for md anyways even if you don't get the combined program. you are allowed to conduct research (ie obtain money) as a MD, infact many clinical researchers only have MDs. the PhD is more used for like physician-scientist where you interact a lot with basic science. at least that is my point of view. i think your going to be fine, assuming you keep up good stats accross the board. good luck and best of wishes
Thank you.

Why does it take longer? It seems to me that 4 MD + 4 residency + 5 Ph.D = 13 years. Sure they may be integrated, but other than the generous stipend, I see no advantage to MSTP over straight MD then straight Ph.D

Don't most MD/PhD students get MD/PhD/Residency in about 13 years?

7 years MD/PhD and 3 years residency...so only 10...i mean it can be done...i would just think it would be hard to go back and barely be making it financially when you can live really well with the degree you have already

oh and one other option u might consider....i know some med schools allow people to transfer into the md/phd program after a year or two of medical school...this would allow you to figure out if thats what you want to do...and then you dont lose those extra years...just a thought

the phd can often be shortened with combined programs, for obvious reasons such as experimental lag time don't really affect you as much. the main advance of mstp is its paid lol, i don't got money to go to medical school despite my mom being a neurologist, i refuse any money from her just out of principle.

7 years MD/PhD and 3 years residency...so only 10...i mean it can be done...i would just think it would be hard to go back and barely be making it financially when you can live really well with the degree you have already

True. And that is an important point.

But it seems to me that when all things considered, the MD/residency then Ph.D route is maybe just a year or two longer than the MSTP route.

The MSTP programs, I think, is not the only reasonable way to obtain both degree.

True. And that is an important point.

But it seems to me that when all things considered, the MD/residency then Ph.D route is maybe just a year or two longer than the MSTP route.

The MSTP programs, I think, is not the only reasonable way to obtain both degree.

that is true, but it is the easiest, most efficient, and probably quickest way hehe

Maybe consider getting a masters instead of a PhD? If you went to a school that is hard core about research then you might not need the PhD so much.

My PI this summer had an MD only, but had been taking a class or two and doing research since she finished her residency (along with seeing patients). I'm not sure how old she is exactly, but I would guess late 30's, and she is getting her PhD in a few months. This might be very rare, but at least it's possible.

You also have to think about the financial aspect. Remember once you finish your MD the clock starts and interest from loans starts piling up. Not only will you have the interest increasing your loans during residency but you will have them while you are getting your PhD plus getting the cost of the PhD. Needless to say you will be in a massive financial hole when you are through.

You could pratice for a while after med school and pay off your loans and then get your PhD. However I would recommend going all out to get into a MD/PhD program which is free of tuition+a stipend.

Maybe consider getting a masters instead of a PhD? If you went to a school that is hard core about research then you might not need the PhD so much.

I am an Alabama resident, and I feel I will be fairly competitive for UAB, which is fairly well-known for research.

My PI this summer had an MD only, but had been taking a class or two and doing research since she finished her residency (along with seeing patients). I'm not sure how old she is exactly, but I would guess late 30's, and she is getting her PhD in a few months. This might be very rare, but at least it's possible.
Wow, that's incredible. Thanks for the story!

You also have to think about the financial aspect. Remember once you finish your MD the clock starts and interest from loans starts piling up. Not only will you have the interest increasing your loans during residency but you will have them while you are getting your PhD plus getting the cost of the PhD. Needless to say you will be in a massive financial hole when you are through.

You could pratice for a while after med school and pay off your loans and then get your PhD. However I would recommend going all out to get into a MD/PhD program which is free of tuition+a stipend.
I hope to attend UAB, which is my state school. It costs about 14 K a year, which is very cheap. Money, I don't think, will be an enormous issue for me. Plus, residents get paid.

As for going all out for the MD/PhD, I'm trying :)

Members don't see this ad :)
after going through all the back and forth messages in this thread...it seems like you already have your mind made up.

MD's typically have a harder time with grants etc. PHD training teaches you how to think on your own, derive a hypothesis, and test that hypothesis in a system that stands up to a review from your peers.

with that said, I am a graduate student at a top 10 immunolgy program in the country and in my lab, we have around 6 DVM's that left private practice (internal, path, oncology, etc) to come back and get a PHD so they could enter the research field as a primary investigator.

Most of these people are getting the PHD in right around 3 years. They are motivated, educated, and very bright.

So, do like they do if you want that path. Best thing is you get paid!

it's possible, but to get into academic medicine, a PhD is far from required. it looks nice, but i, personally, would not sacrifice the time for it. maybe you could enter a MS in clinical research program if that was applicable to your goals.

The worst thing is that you already paid for medical school! (when you could have done it for free)

Most of the people that I know in the combined program hate life. They are so busy that they can barely breath. And on top of that, if they decide that they want to practice medicine instead of doing a post-doc it's frowned upon. Plus, if you decide that the PHD isn't for you and you just want to practice, you owe all that money back to the school.

It's already a long road... what's an extra year?

4 for med, 3 for PHD (if motivated) and then a residency of your choice... I would do the 4+ residency then come back for the PHD as a clinical faculty member at a medical school :)

Yes: you're out of your mind.
More or less. Why would you want to pay for one or both degrees instead of getting them for free? Take the time now to make yourself a better applicant for an MSTP if that's what you want. Also, don't talk to us about this - go to the closest med school and ask to meet with some MSTP students and MD/PhD PIs or something.

While I think it's obviously an exceptional case, I thought it was very interesting when the Nobel prize in chemistry went to two MDs in 2003--for x-ray crystallographic work no less!

While I think it's obviously an exceptional case, I thought it was very interesting when the Nobel prize in chemistry went to two MDs in 2003--for x-ray crystallographic work no less!

the more interesting question is why did two MD work on x-ray cryst, what was the exact work, the x-ray cryst of hemoglobin? hahaha damn those globular structures

Most of the researchers with whom I work are MDs; the MD/PhD is rare, but that doesn't stop them from getting grants, and they have significant patient contact (considering they are attendings/fellows in critical care medicine).

the more interesting question is why did two MD work on x-ray cryst, what was the exact work, the x-ray cryst of hemoglobin? hahaha damn those globular structures

One solved the structure of a potassium ion channel, the other discovered water channels...don't know a whole lot about those.

I just wanted to point out an extreme case of MDs doing basic science research.

Any physician who wants to do research in an academic hospital will have to do research at some point, including in your internship years.

If doing research is important, make sure you position yourself for the highly competitive medical programs that require research as a significant portion of their educational philosophy, or programs that would welcome you to do research. Apply to programs that do cutting-edge research in the area you want to do, and make that clear that it's your goal.

No you don't need to have a Ph.D. to do your research, but if your goal in life is not being a dean of a medical school, I wouldn't fret over it. ;)

If you will have already completed the MD, there is simply no good reason to return to get a PhD rather than simply doing a post-doc. The point of the PhD is to teach you to be a scientist, so if you really want to do this after you've graduated from med school, find a good PI and ask him if you can do a 4yr postdoc in his lab.

But I agree with everybody else: if you really want both degrees to credential yourself or because of cost or because you like the integration of the MD and PhD degrees or because you want to streamline your education or whatever, do the MD/PhD. A few poor souls (e.g. Havarti) have done PhD, then MD and most seem to have regretted it. MD, then PhD would be even worse in my estimation.

A few poor souls (e.g. Havarti) have done PhD, then MD and most seem to have regretted it. MD, then PhD would be even worse in my estimation.

Your estimation would be dead on. Just close your eyes and envision what the OP is proposing:

You work your ass off for 4 years in medical school. You then apprentice yourself in residency and work like a dog for 3 more years... minimum. Who knows? Could be 6 if you do IM and a fellowship. Anyways, there you are, a licensed physician fully qualified to practice medicine and start your career. And what are you going to do? Spend 3 more years (absolute minimum) dicking around in graduate school? From resident salary I can guarantee you a 50% pay cut to become a PhD student. Hope you don't have a house payment, car payment, children or the desire to go on a vacation or purchase new clothes.

Good thinking.

P.S. I don't regret getting my MD. I regret screwing around for so long in grad school before finally getting myself on track.

we have around 6 DVM's that left private practice (internal, path, oncology, etc) to come back and get a PHD so they could enter the research field as a primary investigator.

I knew two of those poor bastards, myself. Going academic in the vet world is a whole different ballgame, so extrapolation from the allopathic world is not recommended.

As others have said, there is no reason to get a PhD. If you want to learn how to do research you can do it in medical school and during residency, or a as post-doc after medical school. Having a PhD after your name doesn't help you get grants, grant writing ability does.. You can learn this as a post-doc after medical school. I know of MD's who do strictly basic science research. Getting the PhD after the MD is just torture. If you do a combined MSTP program at least it pays for medical school. Otherwise don't waste your time.

I work with 6 DVM's that did residencies and are now getting PHD's. They are perfectly happy with their decision.

I work with 6 DVM's that did residencies and are now getting PHD's. They are perfectly happy with their decision.

Given the rarity with which MD's do the same, I suspect that speaks more to the current state of veterinary medicine than anything else.

i know of some neurosurgery residency programs that let you earn a phd upon completing the residency - i think you do research concomitantly, and add an extra year of length.

i know of some neurosurgery residency programs that let you earn a phd upon completing the residency - i think you do research concomitantly, and add an extra year of length.

Indeed there are some scattered programs in various specialties that offer such training. To cram a PhD into a surgical residency with only one additional year sounds beyond brutal to me (particularly in neurosurg). I guess if I just had to avail myself to such sadism/masochism/sadomasochism as MD -> PhD I would choose such a route and at least maintain positive continuity on my payscale.

MD's typically have a harder time with grants etc. PHD training teaches you how to think on your own, derive a hypothesis, and test that hypothesis in a system that stands up to a review from your peers.

with that said, I am a graduate student at a top 10 immunolgy program in the country and in my lab, we have around 6 DVM's that left private practice (internal, path, oncology, etc) to come back and get a PHD so they could enter the research field as a primary investigator.

Most of these people are getting the PHD in right around 3 years. They are motivated, educated, and very bright.

So, do like they do if you want that path. Best thing is you get paid!
Just a clarification. MD's do not uniformly have a harder time getting grants because they are 'missing' a PhD. I see this posted on SDN all the time and it's not accurate. Really. If they have a hard time getting grants, it's mostly due to the quality (or lack thereof) of the research proposal or distractions due to clinical responsibilities. In a similar vein, MD/PhD's do not have an automatic advantage in securing RO1 funding. It's all about the quality of the proposal at that level and all the proposals are excellent.

To the OP. Your easiest option is to transfer into the MD/PhD program once you are accepted to medical school. I know a few people that did this. You must gain meaningful research experience before you submit your application if you want them to take a serious look at you. While there is no better substitute for focused basic science training gained through a formal PhD porgram, it's not critical and you might also consider joining a very academic residency program later on and getting your experience there - at least your science would be current. Doing the experiments and thinking for yourself is what makes you good and gives you experience - and you can do that in a variety of settings without the need for graduate school classes. Alternatively, a couple of residency programs offer a fast-track PhD for MD's that can be completed during residency or fellowship. I know one person that did this at UVA and another similar program exists at the University of Rochester (TAPS: Train Anesthesiologists as Physician Scientists). Keep in mind that it really is tough to do two jobs well, and most people end up choosing mostly research or clinical, but never the successful 50:50 split that people dream of. Trust me: it's not a path for the idealistic, the lukewarm, or the faint-hearted.

Hi, all.

I am sorry I bailed on this thread in the middle of it -- but I was busy with exams/presentations.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your input and tell you that I read all the replies. No one wasted their time replying!

The basic points seem to be:

1) Huge loss of money.
2) Ph.D's, despite rumors, don't have an easier time with NIH funding.
3) MD's can do research if they attend a research-intensive medical school.

-BNSN

Hi, all.

go for it...If you want to be in school until you're roughly...36

Although this thread has good points even if they are one sided, I just wanted to point out one thing:

Certain specialities have research requirements, or at least such research stints are strongly recommended. For instance Neurosurgery is 5 years residency, but two years of research aside from this is usually done. Also, many people do research fellowships during residency anyways (that is they take a leave from their residency and do research for a year or two and head back).

So doing some sort of research is going to be necessary if you want to be competitive in certain fields. Moreso, it's probably better to do research before you head over to residency than after, so saving a PhD for the end of it all makes little sense. My vote, as others on this thread, is to boost up your app to either apply for MD/PhD, or do what I plan to do: apply after a year of medical school to the combined program, and hope NIH will be kind enough to throw in some money.

Hi, all.

I am sorry I bailed on this thread in the middle of it -- but I was busy with exams/presentations.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your input and tell you that I read all the replies. No one wasted their time replying!

The basic points seem to be:

1) Huge loss of money.
2) Ph.D's, despite rumors, don't have an easier time with NIH funding.
3) MD's can do research if they attend a research-intensive medical school.

-BNSN
Hey BNSN,

One thing that can enhance your credibility as a researcher/clinician and be a good way to get involved is doing a year internship during medical school. There are definitely schools out there that will let you take a year off to do a project, and that will often have you graduate with a distinction in research. I know NIH offers a mid medical school training program for a year. Look into it.

a master's will likely involve more classes and a little research...it's the research experience that would be useful.

in general, i agree that someone with an MD can get a great research experience and do great things in science. it's all possible...but any 3 month experience is just not the same as sweating out a difficult project for 3-4 years. the phd is a research degree, while the md is not. i think the phd will have an advantage in the lab & w/ money. would you tell a phd student that he/she could learn clinical skills on the side? it wouldn't compare to years M3-M4 we go through.

that said, i wouldn't do a phd after residency...it will hurt and you will have been through enough. find a combined program!!!

You didn't mention a postdoc after all that which chould be variable from 2-5 years. After and MD and residency or even and MD/PhD then residency the vast majority will not be in a position to obtain their own grants due to a lack of a scientific track record. I agree with others on the thread that if you really want the PhD then the combined MD/PhD or MSTP programs are the only way to go. I would also mention that it would be possible to obtain post-doc position after your residency and this would be a great way to set yourself up to be an independent scientist as well, as this is one of the aims of a post-doc. Whatever you chose good luck, its great to see more people becoming interested in working at this area in the border between science and medicine as I think this is the future of both fields.

BNSN-
Get your MD and if you still really want to do basic research after your residency do a post-doc in a well-respected lab. As an MD post-doc you will get paid MORE than the PhDs and your will bring a clinical perspective to the lab. Don't waste your time getting another three letters after your name just to prove a point. If you do good work, nobody will care about your credentials. Going to grad school will only beat the love of science out of you. I finished my doctorate at UCSF last june; I wake up every day thanking god that I am in med school and not in the lab!

BNSN-
Get your MD and if you still really want to do basic research after your residency do a post-doc in a well-respected lab. As an MD post-doc you will get paid MORE than the PhDs and your will bring a clinical perspective to the lab. Don't waste your time getting another three letters after your name just to prove a point. If you do good work, nobody will care about your credentials. Going to grad school will only beat the love of science out of you. I finished my doctorate at UCSF last june; I wake up every day thanking god that I am in med school and not in the lab!

Everything boils down to do you want to be involved in just clinical science or making the bridge between basic science and medicine. Just getting a MD will not give you a very good understand on basic science, ex: knowing E=mc^2 is not good enough if you want to do research in developing better radiology devices.

Hi, all.

Just do a research fellowship after residency. You don't need Ph.D to do research.

Hi, all.

I'm another PhD-to-MD here and I want to agree with the posters who have suggested that you either do a combined MD/PhD or a combined MD/MS. You know, you don't have to pick just one type to apply to exclusively, either. I think one of the following scenarios would be most realistic for you:

1) Apply early decision to UAB if they accept ED applicants. ED means that you only apply to that one school and you promise to go there if they accept you. In return, they give your app consideration before most other people's, and they give you an answer before Oct. 15. If you do not get accepted ED, you can still apply regular decision. You should apply both MD and MD/PhD to UAB. If you get in the MD program, you can apply to join the MD/PhD program later.

2) Apply nationwide to a mixture of MD/PhD, MD/MS, and straight MD programs. Many schools will allow you to apply to multiple programs at no extra cost. If you go this route, I recommend focusing on schools in the South and Midwest that are not located in the coastal cities where many people want to live (i.e., stay away from Boston, DC, NYC, anywhere in CA, etc. unless you have ties to any of the schools there). Since you're from the South anyway (as am I :)), getting to stay near home can be an added bonus for you. Also, do not only apply to MSTP programs, since they tend to be the most competitive. For example, I don't know if USA has an MD/PhD program, but you should apply to it if they do.

Best of luck with your apps and your career plans. :)

I also wanted to do an MD-PhD, but after realizing the only additional page in the application was a page of publications (I have none) and so I would be attaching just a blank sheet, I went to the MD program.
There are lots of people with just MDs doing research, as everyone is saying here. MDs are even PIs of large labs and collaborative groups, so don't stress too much about the PhD.
My main motivation for the PhD was to be able to do research. But if grants aren't a major issue, I don't see why pursuing a PhD is worth it.
As someone said, do an MD with heavy focus on research. That's my current plan.

Just a clarification. MD's do not uniformly have a harder time getting grants because they are 'missing' a PhD. I see this posted on SDN all the time and it's not accurate. Really. If they have a hard time getting grants, it's mostly due to the quality (or lack thereof) of the research proposal or distractions due to clinical responsibilities. In a similar vein, MD/PhD's do not have an automatic advantage in securing RO1 funding. It's all about the quality of the proposal at that level and all the proposals are excellent.

To the OP. Your easiest option is to transfer into the MD/PhD program once you are accepted to medical school. I know a few people that did this. You must gain meaningful research experience before you submit your application if you want them to take a serious look at you. While there is no better substitute for focused basic science training gained through a formal PhD porgram, it's not critical and you might also consider joining a very academic residency program later on and getting your experience there - at least your science would be current. Doing the experiments and thinking for yourself is what makes you good and gives you experience - and you can do that in a variety of settings without the need for graduate school classes. Alternatively, a couple of residency programs offer a fast-track PhD for MD's that can be completed during residency or fellowship. I know one person that did this at UVA and another similar program exists at the University of Rochester (TAPS: Train Anesthesiologists as Physician Scientists). Keep in mind that it really is tough to do two jobs well, and most people end up choosing mostly research or clinical, but never the successful 50:50 split that people dream of. Trust me: it's not a path for the idealistic, the lukewarm, or the faint-hearted.

What I was getting at is the fact that most of the PHD education is learning how to address questions, make valid hypothesis, design the experiements, and having your data stand up to a review by your peers.

I'm in a PHD program right now and all of my professors talk about how MD/DVM's prepare you to practice medicine, not to do research. So, most of the people that decide to do research have to do a post-doc if they don't want to go back and do a PHD. It's the only way for these physician-turned-researchers to get the training that they need to succeed in this field of science.

That's all I was saying about grants etc.

You didn't mention a postdoc after all that which chould be variable from 2-5 years. After and MD and residency or even and MD/PhD then residency the vast majority will not be in a position to obtain their own grants due to a lack of a scientific track record. I agree with others on the thread that if you really want the PhD then the combined MD/PhD or MSTP programs are the only way to go. I would also mention that it would be possible to obtain post-doc position after your residency and this would be a great way to set yourself up to be an independent scientist as well, as this is one of the aims of a post-doc. Whatever you chose good luck, its great to see more people becoming interested in working at this area in the border between science and medicine as I think this is the future of both fields.

Atleast during a post-doc you get paid if you get a good fellowship grant! One of our guys in my lab just got one for 70k/year salary and another 15k/year to bring into the lab for research money. Not a bad setup for a training post-doc for 5 years.