Ph.D. and licensture in U.S.,practice in U.K.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunderj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been searching past threads, but didn't come across an answer to this particular question. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience coming from the U.S. as a licensed psychologist, and then practicing to the U.K. I'm from the states and will be graduating with my Ph.D. in Clinical Psych in May 2017, and am planning to complete a post-doc within the U.S., and get licensed here as well. My husband's job may take us to London in a few years, and I'm curious to hear whether anyone has had experience going from the U.S. to the U.K., and what the process of becoming licensed to practice there was like. Ideally I'd like to do clinical work, either in a private practice setting or within a hospital setting there. I've been reading through the Health and Care Professionals UK website, as well as the British Psychological Society site, but I've yet to find out exactly what I'd need to do. If anyone has experience with this process I'd be very grateful to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

I saw another thread devoted to a question about maintaining licensure and practice in both the UK and US, which is not something I'm interested in. This would be a long-term move and I'd not be trying to work in both places.

Members don't see this ad.