Ph.D. During Fellowship (P/CC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emt30119

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as a third year resident, I'm a late comer when it comes to an interest in research. I was a nontraditional student and did no research as a premed or med student. Had a chance to get my feet wet doing research during my 2nd year of residency. Now I'm strongly considering it as a significant part of my future career.

While looking at potential fellowships, I was looking at Colorado (a place I have nearly no chance of getting into) but one thing caught my eye.

"Fourth Year: This is an optional year added to ensure continuity of research for those desiring it. For all trainees selecting one of the Ph.D. programs, the fellowship will be four years."

I was aware that most of the big name serious academic training programs provide an 'optional' (nearly required) 4th year, but my understanding was that this is mainly just extended/protected research time.

Do other programs have structured options to obtain a Ph.D in the course of 4 years of fellowship?

Note: I realize there will likely be many opinions as to if obtaining a Ph.D during/after fellowship is wise, feel free to share, but this is not my original intent of the post.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really answer the question about which programs offer this but I will note that, if you're willing to put in the time, you'll probably be able to find a few. Keep in mind however that, very often, the ability to obtain a PhD will rest on the opinions of many people outside of your department/division/specialty. I assure you that there is some fine print in any of those program outlines that avoids guaranteeing a PhD after 4 years. And it will be a crap-ton of extra work either way.

Now, as to whether or not a PhD is necessary or wise at this point in the game, I would argue, maybe. You've got minimal research experience and barely have your toes wet WRT what a research career is like. Normally I (someone who has a PhD) argue against pursing one. But in your case (and I don't mean to aim this at you specifically), it will provide you with either the training you need to truly succeed in a research based career (low probability), or the physical/emotional/financial beatdown you need to move on with your life and clinical career (more likely). Either way, it's a "win" and you can proceed knowing you've done everything in your power to get what you want out of your career.