Ph.D or MFT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilie2131

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been mulling this over for about a year, and thought I would get some feedback from y'all. I finished my MA in experimental psychology in May of 2009 with the intention of pursuing my Ph.D afterward. I am interested in child clinical psychology, and my research interests are in PTSD, parenting, and children with behavior problems.

The major issue that deters me from continuing my education is that I'm a mother of 2 (ages 4 and 5), and this keeps me pretty busy. From what I've read on SDN is that PhD programs are more than a full time job. Are there programs that allow for a student to take it slow? I've considered getting another Master's because I feel like this is more doable. If I go this route, I would probably go back for my Ph.D after the kids get older, as this is a better fit for me. Another reason I've considered another masters over the PhD, is that the closest school to me is PGSP, and although it is a good fit it is very very expensive. Berkeley is a fit, but is tough to get into and I would have to commute a lot. Any input/advice you could offer me would be greatly appreciated . Also, if you've heard anything about Berkeley's program (current/former students or what you've heard) in regard to the workload and how many hours I would have to put in (on campus) per week. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been very down on doctoral programs lately, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But if I were you, I would try to make a career with an MFT, which I believe you can do quite nicely. The reality is (unfortunately) that Ph.D.s are pricing themselves out of the market. That sucks, but you need to think about what is best for you. If you can do work in an area that interests you with an MFT, do it.

AND--If you happen to be a single mother, I would absolutely avoid a doctoral program. In my observation (which is anecdotal, so ignore it if you choose), PhD programs and the departments that run them are NOT friendly to single parents. It's not only about the difficulty of the work and its poor match to single parenthood. A great deal of departmental events and workshops are scheduled at hours that are not convenient for single parents. These are not "necessary" toward your degree, but they are certainly useful in building relationships with faculty and peers, relationships that are incredibly helpful in both the short and long term.

It is a tough decision. The reality is, you probably won't go back for a PhD once your kids are grown. Good luck.

...From what I've read on SDN is that PhD programs are more than a full time job. Are there programs that allow for a student to take it slow? I've considered getting another Master's because I feel like this is more doable. If I go this route, I would probably go back for my Ph.D after the kids get older, as this is a better fit for me...

What's another master's going to do for you? You already have one in experimental psychology which shows your interest in conducting research.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's another master's going to do for you? You already have one in experimental psychology which shows your interest in conducting research.

I wanted to start of by thanking everyone who took the time to respond.

I wanted to respond to psich's question. I'm considering another master's mainly because of life circumstances. My husband's job is here, and we've decided relocating isn't a good idea in this economy. I've also figured out, after conducting 2 studies that a pure research career isn't for me. I like research, but I would prefer to use it as a clinical tool instead of developing theories.

In my area, the more balanced programs are professional schools. Although they are good fits for me, I've ruled them out because they are too expensive. Quite frankly, I'd rather save the money on my kids' tuition. Berkeley is about an hour away, and is a fit, but is very research focused. With the PhD program I'm also concerned about I would manage being a good mom and wife with school. Therein lies the dilemma. So, what would help me is to know more about Berkeley's program, in terms of it's flexibility. Has anyone out there heard anything or know from experience?

Thanks!

You might look more closely at the UCB developmental program (now labelled change, plasticity and development/Steven Hinshaw's program) and things they are doing at the Greater Good Science Center (Dachner Keltner's program). It is possible to do a PhD in a program like this and do all your clinical internship pre/post hours post-doc and then be licensed and enter practice. It might set you up less for doing family therapy and more for doing individual therapy/consultation/assessment and preventative/psychoeducational work. It would be a lengthy road but if you could get funding, worth it. They are doing really interesting work there.

Since you're trying to gather more information about the program at Berkeley, I would simply contact the department itself and ask whether they'd be willing to give you contact info for any of their current grad students who are also student-parents.... the admin staff might even be able to tell you how "doable" the program is....
I can relate to your situation, since I was trying to decide whether to go the MFT or doctorate route myself (I have a 1 y.o. and a 3 y.o.) If you're interested in clinical practice, you might consider a PsyD -- would keep the focus on clinical issues but would still allow you to do research or teach later on if you still retained an interest in those areas. I'm working toward a PsyD right now (L.A. area) and I find the program as rigorous as any PhD program out there....

I know nothing about these things but still thought I would reply ;) so here goes...

Why not an MSW? Berkeley has a program as well as SF State. I have also heard that it is easier to get a job with an MSW. (I am in the Bay Area too)

And some other schools in the area some with MFT, some with both MFT and PsyD are Dominican (really flex MFT program can complete in however long you want), JFK, SF State, USF, Notre dame de Namur- I have no idea on pricing unfortunately

Oh and San Jose State has a really good MSW program

Or something that is short term that could allow you to do clinical type work would be to take the classes (at PGSP) and sit for the BCaBA (board certified assistant behavioral analyst) exam-again I know nothing about this but I think it mainly entails working with children with autism-you could see if you like the clinical side of things and go from there...

I am an MFT and a Psychologist in CA. MFT's have great acceptance in CA and there are jobs but I usually encourage people to go the MSW route as it offers wide acceptance while being available for a reasonable price tag through most Cal State Universities. If you desire to obtain a doctorate in CA it is very difficult to do without taking on a long of student debt. There are just so many people in CA that want to be psychologists and too few slots other than the many professional schools which are often APA accredited but expensive. The DMH and CDCR(corrections) still hire a lot of psychologists but you will find that most counties hire mainly MFTs and LCSWs. There are some AAMFT accredited programs in CA if you want a program that is really marriage and family focused(most others are counseling programs which contain the necessary courses for MFT licensure in CA. You could find a program that would allow masters level licensure on way to the doctorate as well. Hope this helps.