Ph.D. vs M.S. in Counseling Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTailor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends!

So my wife and I are finishing up undergraduate programs, and I'm trying to figure out my own career path right now. She wants to get a master's degree in her field, and my plan was essentially to take those two years to pay the bills, and then begin a doctoral program.

However, she's planning on jumping right into work after that, which will entail 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week, with the possibility of traveling a lot. My problem is that I want to be working full-time, but she's off-handedly remarked that I "can't work more than she does" if we want to have a healthy relationship (let alone children).

I need to negotiate this stuff with her, but the reality is that if I'm not going to get to actually practice, I don't see the point in dumping $150K and 7 years of my life into a Ph.D. In my state, you can get an LMHC license with just a Master's degree, so I'm considering that as a possibility.

My question is this: what are the differences between the outcomes of M.S. and Ph.D. programs? What does each actually enable you to do? I know a Ph.D. will enable me to conduct research and teach at a university (things I would've liked to do at some point), but what are the differences in what you're allowed to do between the degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey friends!

So my wife and I are finishing up undergraduate programs, and I'm trying to figure out my own career path right now. She wants to get a master's degree in her field, and my plan was essentially to take those two years to pay the bills, and then begin a doctoral program.

However, she's planning on jumping right into work after that, which will entail 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week, with the possibility of traveling a lot. My problem is that I want to be working full-time, but she's off-handedly remarked that I "can't work more than she does" if we want to have a healthy relationship (let alone children).

I need to negotiate this stuff with her, but the reality is that if I'm not going to get to actually practice, I don't see the point in dumping $150K and 7 years of my life into a Ph.D. In my state, you can get an LMHC license with just a Master's degree, so I'm considering that as a possibility.

My question is this: what are the differences between the outcomes of M.S. and Ph.D. programs? What does each actually enable you to do? I know a Ph.D. will enable me to conduct research and teach at a university (things I would've liked to do at some point), but what are the differences in what you're allowed to do between the degrees?

A Clinical/Counselling Phd should be free or near free. Generally good programs offer full or partial tuition remission with a stipend (for TA'ing/RA'ing..generally between 15k to 25k/yr). You should not leave any Phd program with more than 30k debt...but $0 is ideal.

A Clinical/Counselling Phd should be free or near free. Generally good programs offer full or partial tuition remission with a stipend (for TA'ing/RA'ing..generally between 15k to 25k/yr). You should not leave any Phd program with more than 30k debt...but $0 is ideal.

Fair enough. But still…7 years of training just to work 20 hours a week. I feel like that's more of the concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have both a master's and a PhD in counseling psych, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about what those programs were like and what the people from each program are doing these days as far as employment goes. I think it would help to get a better idea of what you'd like to do. You mentioned not getting to "actually practice." Would you practice at the master's level if you went the LMHC route?

Are you OK with that?

Fair enough. But still…7 years of training just to work 20 hours a week. I feel like that's more of the concern.

20 hours of providing services, or 20 hours total?

What would you like to be doing in your career? That should guide your choice of degree, not the other way around.

If you plan on a part-time career then a doctorate would not make much sense. Internship and posts of year almost always have to be full-time just in themselves., then building a practice or career would necessitate full time effort. A doctorate in clinical psychology is the highest aspiration so it takes quite a bit of dedication.