PHA: Preventive Health Assessment.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiveMD

Giggity giggity!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was “counseled” yesterday by some HM3 during my yearly PHA. What’s up with that? I was expecting at least nurse practitioner. Is this the way we care for the world's finest warriors? HM3's? :scared: Please opine…

Members don't see this ad.

I had a fat nurse tell me that I was not in the best of health because I was not getting enough servings of vegetables each day. I needed seven and my two were just not enough. My other favorite quote from the day was telling me that my sleep habits were not healthy and I needed at least 8 hours of sleep each day, and how dare I stay up all night some nights.

Gotta love it. Rumor has it that this was instituted after there were a couple deaths just after/during a PRT in the past few years. I have no way of substantiating that information though.

a buddy of mine almost got sent to alcohol counseling because he made the mistake to say he drinks a beer when he gets home. I think he was at least told by a nurse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was “counseled” yesterday by some HM3 during my yearly PHA. What’s up with that? I was expecting at least nurse practitioner. Is this the way we care for the world's finest warriors? HM3's? :scared: Please opine…

in my experience, PHA were the most "pencil-whipped" item I had ever seen.
We had 18 yo techs going over these medical records, missing all kinds of info. It was also a far too common situation for me to be seeing a soldier for his retirement physical...........find his BP to be 190/99..............review his chart (retirement physicals were one of the few times you would regularly have a chart for an appt)................and see that he has had hypertension for nearly his entire career....and NEVER treated.......22 yrs of HTN and never treated..........PHAs on a regular basis, and never treated.

Happy retirement soldier (sorry to say your life expectancy may be a little shorter that you might expect :( :mad: :( :mad: )

Oh almost forgot, but USAFDoc reminded me of it

They do miss stuff, I'm pretty sure that as a 28 year old I am more than due for a lipid panel because I've never had one. Did the nurse send me for one at my "Preventative Health Appt" nope, but I sure did need to get another HIV test done. Whew, glad we got that one.:cool:

Yeah, they're unqualified cogs in a rusty, poorly designed machine. My PHA a couple months ago was true comedy of errors, inefficiency, incompetence, and gundecking. It's a good thing there's nothing wrong with my health.

I was "counseled" yesterday by some HM3 during my yearly PHA. What's up with that? I was expecting at least nurse practitioner. Is this the way we care for the world's finest warriors? HM3's? :scared: Please opine…

Ironically, it takes around 1 hr and 45 min (+/- 15 min) to finish a "PHA" in my command. I can knock out 4-6 full physicals in the same amount of time ( in normal pace)…:eek:

lol, I just did my PHA a few days ago and I was in and out in less than 10 min. In fact, it took me longer to fill out the paperwork.