Pharm and Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

neilc

i am planning on taking my step 1 in august 2003. the issue i have is that i want to take it at the end of that summer because i will have 3 months clinical experience and all my basic science will be fresh. the only prob is that i will have only completed 1 semester (out of 2) of Pharmacology. i am wondering how possible it will be. i feel comfortable reviewing it on my own, i just want to be sure that it is not a stupid, stupid idea. the choice is basically take it then or 1 year later, because i want to give myself the summer to study, and not have to worry about class...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it would be a better idea to wait until you have completely finished the pharmacology course. Even though I am sure you can study on your own, I think the course will provide you more structure, and even though you probably can still do well on pharm. without the complete pharm. course, you will probably do even better by completing pharm. It is an important area on the USMLE, so my advice is to wait until you have finished pharm.
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with PB. Your top priority as an IMG is getting good Step scores. If your med school is anything like most other European med schools (i.e. not exactly "geared" to the USMLE Steps) then your best bet is to concentrate on getting your diploma, then taking a good 3-4 months per Step. Then again, if your school's curriculum is modelled after American schools',then by all means: go for it.

I should proofread before posting, huh?