Pharm D/MBA dual degree at USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happygirl120

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum and it's been really helpful so far, but I have a question about the Pharm D/MBA degree at USC and sort of in general I guess. I was recently at my sister's graduation (she got her MBA from USC) and I noticed that there was only 1 person graduating with a Pharm D/MBA degree. I noticed that a couple of years ago, I remember seeing only one or two people graduating with this dual degree at a friend's graduation as well. Now I am interested in getting into the dual program at SC but my question is, is this just a uncommon/unpopular route to go, or it is just extremely difficult to do both at USC? I know USC has a good program in both, but do I have to kill myself studying to finish or even get into the program? Any imput would be great. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

In order to be in both program, the latest u can apply to is the fall of ur first year at pharmacy school. So if u are interested in it I suggest u plan ahead for ur letter of recommendations and GMAT. If you are pharmacy student, they wave the 2 year work requirement and being in one USC program gives u a slight advantage of getting into the other program I think. (Even though they say they don't!) However, u will have to apply to both programs seperately and be looked over by two different admission committee.
I think there are several reasons why I think the pharmD/mba program is not that popular. First, the deadline for applying for it is too fast. Most pharmacy students are so busy trying to get use to pharmacy school and the work pace that they simply have no time to apply. Since the latest u can apply to it is fall of first year, many students are not able to have everything in time, gmat scores, recommendations and etc. unless they plan well ahead. In addition, the program is very selective. The two students who were offer acceptance into the dual program during my year are some of the smartest people I have seen and are top students in my class. In addition, most of the students in the pharmacy school are into science and healthcare. During pharmacy school at usc, there is a management class that every student has to take, which I am sorry to say, that the majority of the students did not like. Simply put it, the majority of the students are not into econ or managment or accounting. Finally, it does take more time, effort, and money. So unless u have a clear vision of what u want to do with that extra degree outside of having more letters behind ur name, it would be a waiste of time for most to apply. Some of the fields that pharmD/mba might go into are marketing and administrative practice such as management.

When I asked a few local pharmacists about a PharmD/MBA, they all seemed to agree that it would only be useful in a few, select jobs. I've heard that ever since the tech market went flat, people have been going back for business degrees to make themselves more marketable. There doesn't appear to be a shortage of MBAs around here.

I don't know how the MBA program at USC works, but why not finish a pharmacy degree and consider the MBA later. If the employer really needs a PharmD/MBA, they might even be inclined to pay your MBA tuition, or promise you a job when you finish.

Members don't see this ad :)
jdpharmd? said:
I don't know how the MBA program at USC works, but why not finish a pharmacy degree and consider the MBA later. If the employer really needs a PharmD/MBA, they might even be inclined to pay your MBA tuition, or promise you a job when you finish.

That is an option but it only takes 5 years to finish the Pharm.D/MBA program at USC, rather than 6 years if each program is done separately. I think that is the main incentive for most people. Another incentive is that both programs are well respected especially the business program, which is extremely important in the business world.

Doctor of Pharmacy/Master of Business Administration (Pharm.D./M.B.A.)
The USC School of Pharmacy, in response to the growing demand for pharmacists knowledgeable in both pharmacy and business administration, helped to pioneer an exciting innovation in pharmaceutical education by developing a dual degree that combined a Pharm.D. education with an M.B.A.

As the field of health care becomes more complex and more concerned with cost-effectiveness, the knowledge gained by students in the areas of accounting, communication, finance, decision-making, personnel, strategic planning and related areas is crucial.

This exciting five-year Pharm.D./M.B.A. dual degree program, established in 1988, is offered cooperatively by the School of Pharmacy and the Marshall School of Business; one of the first programs of its kind. The program permits participants to complete all pharmacy and business school requirements in a total of five years?one year less than would be required if a student were to complete each degree independent of the other.

Graduates of the Pharm.D./M.B.A. dual degree program are in high demand in today's era of cost-conscious health care. This includes highly rewarding jobs such as:

Director of hospital pharmacy operations
Departmental director in state and federal health care agencies
Department head in pharmaceutical manufacturing corporations
Administrator in research and managed care departments
Leadership position in pharmaceutical distribution organizations
Admission Requirements and Application Process
Students must be admitted to the USC School of Pharmacy and must have completed a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 3.0 GPA to be considered for admission into the Pharm.D./M.B.A. dual degree program. Dual degree applicants must also fulfill all requirements for admission to the regular M.B.A. program in order to be considered for admission into the Marshall School of Business. Admission is based on:

A Baccalaureate degree
Grade point average
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) score
Recommendation letters
Work experience
Personal essays
Students should contact the Pharm.D./M.B.A. office and begin the application process for the dual Pharm.D./M.B.A. program during the summer before their first Pharm.D. classes. The completed Pharm.D./M.B.A. application materials, including GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) scores and recommendation letters, must be submitted to the School of Pharmacy no later than November 15 for initial screening and forwarding to the Marshall School of Business for admission consideration. Early submission is recommended for timely consideration.

Contact Information
For more information please call the Office of Admission and Student Affairs at
(323) 442-1469.

How popular are the other dual degree programs @ USC like Pharm D. and Master of Science in Gerontology? Is the MSG a necessity to work in nursing homes and long-term care facilities?

I heard during the USC reception in June that the majority of PharmD students do not participate in dual degrees. Whether that be to the intensity of the academics, money, etc I am not sure. I remember one of the students in our little discussion group saying that about 1 or 2 do the PharmD/JD program, a handful do the PharmD/MBA, and a sprinkling of others pursue MS in Gerentology/Regulatory Science/etc. Overall, it didn't seem like too many students take advantage of these dual degree programs.

I'm only an entering USC pharm student (fall 2004), so I don't know if the MSG is necessary to work in nursing homes. I'm sure it'd be a plus to know all about geriatric medicine if you decide to work there.

As for me, I'm probably leaning toward the PharmD/MBA program. I hear alot of people say that you should get your MBA after and have the company/hospital pay for it, but saving a year by doing the dual program is my main concern. Anyone else considering to do the MBA program?

BMBiology said:
That is an option but it only takes 5 years to finish the Pharm.D/MBA program at USC, rather than 6 years if each program is done separately. I think that is the main incentive for most people. Another incentive is that both programs are well respected especially the business program, which is extremely important in the business world.

At Nevada College of Pharmacy, they just opened up an MBA program. You can complete a PharmD./MBA degree in 4 yrs.

tao08244 said:
At Nevada College of Pharmacy, they just opened up an MBA program. You can complete a PharmD./MBA degree in 4 yrs.

That would be awesome if Nevada's business school is well known and a top ranking business school. =)

Thanks for everyone's imput. Yeah, actually Uop also has a Pharm D/MBA degree that you can do in 4 years, but USC does have the prestige in both. That's what makes it so tempting.