Pharm D to DPT or other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybPharmDtoDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently a PY1 in pharm school, in the middle of my spring quarter, and I must say that I am really miserable in the program. I found myself so disinterested in the coursework that I disappear weekly and only attend class when it is close to exam time. Honestly, I just don't feel that my heart is in it enough to grind out 3 more years just to verify scripts for the next 40 years. I like the patient interaction I get just from counseling or even recommending OTCs during IPPEs and class, but I feel the cons outweigh the good, and I have no motivation to continue on with this road.

Even though it will mean that I have wasted a year of my life, I am seriously considering taking a leave of absence from pharmacy school right now and immediately start shadowing and possibly find a PT aide position in the hopes of pursuing a DPT degree. Why DPT? I've had recurring knee injuries myself and I always loved the MA ATC who went out of his way to treat me and develop exercise program for me, even out of his own time. I want to be able to have more direct patient interaction like that, where I'm actively engaging with the patient and my peers. Even though I do like interacting with patients even by just recommending OTCs, I feel the cons outweigh the pros. I also have an interest in sports medicine and kinesiology that I had not pursued earlier because I had foolishly thought I needed to have a $100k+ salary to be happy. I should also say that I am also interested in joining the military as a DPT, possibly applying to the Baylor Army program, after getting enough observation hours and PT experience.

Other back-up career options include getting a clinical lab scientist certificate, just to leave the door open for other careers. I should also say that I am currently 22 y.o., single, BS in chem, undergrad+science GPA 3.6 at a good public university.

I'm wondering if there are any RPhs/DDS/MDs who've followed a similar path, trading for a health care career that gets paid less/has less perceived prestige, that can share their experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Now is the time to really think about what you want in a career. Who cares about prestige, its not like you will be walking around one day wearing a shirt that says "i'm a pharmacist." prestige means nothing, what means the most is that when you wake up every day you drive to work and you dont mind what you do. I suggest taking the leave but absolutely make sure you shadow the different careers that are of interest, and make sure you set a 1 yr time frame for yourself to make a decision to get back into school. There is nothing wrong with taking time to figure it out as long as it is for the right reasons. your young and have plenty of time, taking 1 yr now to figure it out will potentially save you many years down the road.

Wow, sounds exactly like my story. I'll send you a PM~ check your inbox in a few minutes

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still in undergrad, but your story is more or less exactly why I also decided to change from planning on pharmacy school to PT school instead. Also that I felt that pharmacy has a high risk of not being family friendly, whereas in PT it's unlikely you're going to have to work nights or holidays. The thought of having to hang out at a Walgreens on Christmas day because that was the only job I could come up with in Pharmacy, which seems to have quite a competitive market now, made me realize that family life is a bigger priority then salary for me personally.

Yes, if you bail on pharmacy school that is a huge amount of wasted effort. But if you stick it out and finish, then pharmacy is the only job option you've got, and pursuing a different career won't be an option either when you've got 100k in loans to pay back. Knowing you wasted a year worth of effort and tuition and then having all the additional effort to apply to grad school all over again is going to be painful. But if you really do feel like you will hate pharmacy, all that is going to be a lot less total pain than spending 40 years of your life regretting your career choice will be.

Not trying to talk you out of pharmacy school, that's up to you to decided. But this is what my thinking would be. :)

Who cares about prestige, its not like you will be walking around one day wearing a shirt that says "i'm a pharmacist."

:rofl::rofl: Yep...when you're 150k in debt from pharmacy school or 200k+ in debt from med school, and still got residencies to go, I bet you realize that you can't eat prestige...

Last edited:
a health care career that gets paid less/has less perceived prestige

Choosing a career uniquely because of its pay and "prestige" is the best way to become miserable.

If you do not like what you do, you will never excel in your job.
If you do not like what you do, you'll break out in cold sweat on Sunday afternoon because you're dreading Monday.
If you do not like what you do, every hour at the office will feel like torture.
If you do not like what you do, you'll be counting the years to retirement. And once you're retired, you'll wonder what you've done with your life.

Been there, done that.

From now on, $crew the money - I'll do what I like.

Cut your loses and get out. I know you've already spent $50-100k on pharmacy school, but don't spend any more. I imagine you have already attained most of the pre-reqs for PT. Now all you need is some observation hours. Go to the registrar's office tomorrow, withdraw from the program, and start building your application for PT school.

You will not make it through your program anyway. If you hate your classes so much that you skip them, are disinterested in the material, and don't see yourself as a pharmacist, then you will flunk out eventually. You either withdraw gracefully or get dismissed later with more debt. The choice is obvious. You're still young and you will do well in PT school.

Kevin

Hello all,
I found myself so disinterested in the coursework that I disappear weekly and only attend class when it is close to exam time.

You will not make it through your program anyway. If you hate your classes so much that you skip them, are disinterested in the material, and don't see yourself as a pharmacist, then you will flunk out eventually.

This is a good point...I'm bettin' that in pharmacy school you can't keep up skipping class like a freshman at comm. college for long before crap hits the fan...