pharm.d vs. bachelors of pharmacy salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LasagnaBoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have always been curious: these past few years, pharmacists' salaries have gone up so much, but most of the pharmacists I know in my area only have a bachelors of pharmacy (as opposed to a Pharm.D). Is this salary increase (to $100,000 a year in retail) only applicable to Pharm.D's or ALL pharmacists (even those with only bachelors of pharmacy)?

Members don't see this ad.

All pharmacists are paid the same for the equivalent level of experience & responsibility, regardless of the degree one holds.

Compensation is based on job title, experience, and geographic are, not the degree (perhaps some places do give a bonus to PharmDs, but I do not know any). After all, if you are in a job which requires a license, it is the license that matters, not how you qualified for it. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
A few places will only hire PharmDs for certain positions. I guess no job vs a job can be viewed as a big salary difference. But, usually, a BPharm can go to another employer in the same geographical area and get a similar job.

:eek: B. of pharmacy can work as pharmacists too? :eek: But... Why would someone spend 6 years to get a PharmD if he/she could do the same in 4 years?

:eek: B. of pharmacy can work as pharmacists too? :eek: But... Why would someone spend 6 years to get a PharmD if he/she could do the same in 4 years?

A B Pharm dosen't exist anymore. The older pharmacists working may have one, but no one can get one now. You have to go for Pharm D.

I'm doing a BPharm in Ireland. They don't even have DPharms here. It takes 4 years of books and a clinical year, after which you take a registration exam and you're done. :D

I'm doing a BPharm in Ireland. They don't even have DPharms here. It takes 4 years of books and a clinical year, after which you take a registration exam and you're done. :D

I knew there was a reason why I wanted to move to Ireland...lol. I've always been amazed at how much more efficient other countries are at getting people through school.

It's because you have to decide very, very early on what you want to do in college. You need to get the required amount of points in your leaving cert, which you begin when you're 16 years old. You study your head off for the next 2 years, sit the leaving cert, then if you get the points, you get in. If not, you can repeat the examination. Once you get into pharmacy school, you do only pharmacy subjects- no english, language requirements or anything else. It's very condensed and you do about 30 hours/week of labs/lectures from the very beginning, more as you go on. Also-- if you decide you don't like pharmacy, you have to go back to the very beginning and start all over again.... some people even have to go back and repeat their leaving cert if they change their mind as regards their career. It's more efficient, yes, but only if you have your career planned out from the age of 15...and not many do.

I'm in Canada and I'm doing a BScPhm. PharmD here is a post-graduate degree that you can pursue only after getting your license and working for a certain length of time.