Pharm: Lippincott vs Katzung & Trevor (the smaller one)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is better for studying w/class and for boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Neither. The best text is the Saunders Pharmacology book written by George Brenner, Ph.D. It has good diagrams. It's of adequate depth, but not overly verbose. It's well-indexed and logically organized, yet not overly formal in its language.

In my opinion, the mini katzung book is the best board review book out there for pharm. Think of it as an extended version of First AID. Most people will tell you that first aid alone is good for 85-90% (sometimes more) of the questions on the real boards. The other 10% I think you can get from Katzung. (of course there will be a few off-the-wall drugs). First AID is basically a summary of mini katzung.

I think if you supplemented First AID with the chapters in Katzung that are not in First Aid (anti-histamines, a little bit more detailed information on the benzos, mechs of the antifungals, mechs of antiprotozoals, etc.) you would be able to get most of the questions correct.