SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

pharm school favor their own undergrad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by chinki, Apr 27, 2007.

1. chinki

chinki 2+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2007
    I'm not sure if this question have been asked. Pardon me if it did :D . I was just wondering if I want to go to VCU for pharm school, would getting a B.S in VCU look more favorable vs. somone from other university? other doesn't matter? BC I do know some school mentioned that it does matter in some ways..please help

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Depends on the school. SWOSU specifically states that they give preference to their students. I couldn't say about VCU, if it's public then they probably at least give preference to VA students. If it's private they may not give preference in the sense that you get bonus points for being a student, but the adcoms are more likely to be familiar with your coursework requirements, the intructors, etc which may introduce a favorable bias.

4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

If you are an out-of-state student, WVU gives you more leeway if you attended WVU. In state students are given the same consideration no matter the school they completed their pre-reqs at.

5. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

It really depends on the school. I applied to Drake where the majority of the incoming class are Drake students with only a few transfers. Creighton has a guaranteed admission policy that doesn't require the PCAT and a super high GPA (3.5). Wingate seems to take anybody because they have a small undergrad school. Iowa is relatively open to out-of-state students despite being an in-state school, but I don't have the exact numbers.

As mentioned before, don't bother applying to SWOSU COP if you aren't an Oklahoman.:)