Pharm Schools For Low PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McFrizzle

#Willcountpillsforfood
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This should be self-explanatory here. And i apologize if the question is a dumb one. But I was just wondering, are there Pharm schools out there that are not as heavy on PCAT scores? I've taken the test twice and made pretty bad scores both times (this was with not studying at all both times :laugh:) I'm confident I'll increase my score come September 26, but I'm not sure how high I'll be able to score.
So are the Pharm schools that are more lenient with their admissions, particularly concerning PCAT scores? Thanks a lot guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why in the world would you take the pcat twice and not study both times? If you were serious about pharmacy school, you would put the effort to do well on the pcat.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that this was close to 2 years ago when I was just out of high school and had no idea what the test had in store, and I also had no materials with which to really study. I also had nowhere near enough money to afford Dr. Collins. So needless to say, I was a fish out of water going into the test before. The results from those have me nervous about the exam coming up this time. However, my preparation has been much better this time, but I'm still nervous about. Hence the question.

Keep in mind that this was close to 2 years ago when I was just out of high school and had no idea what the test had in store, and I also had no materials with which to really study. I also had nowhere near enough money to afford Dr. Collins. So needless to say, I was a fish out of water going into the test before. The results from those have me nervous about the exam coming up this time. However, my preparation has been much better this time, but I'm still nervous about. Hence the question.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:OMG! Why in the loving world of mother nature would you take the PCAT right out of high school?!?! Even the company who WROTE the test and many pharmacy advisors suggest taking the PCAT after completing at least 2 years of undergrad. The stuff you learn in high school is like a little girl's bicycle compared to the science and math classes you learn in college and will not adequately prepare you for the PCAT at all.

The reason you did bad is not because you didn't study, it's because you haven't even learned the PCAT material yet.

PS sorry for my freakout. :p

MCPHS doesn't look at the PCAT and most Cali schools don't require it either.

Members don't see this ad :)

:eek: I would never, ever, ever take an exam without reading all the directions, blueprints, instructions, outlines, etc, provided to me by the testing company. I think part of mastering the PCAT is knowing exactly what to expect. I do believe that knowing everything about the PCAT helped me do well on it. Good luck.

AFAIK, California pharmacy schools DO NOT require the PCAT at all. Unfortunately that's all the relevant information I can give you.

You don't NEED Dr. Collins to do well. Very many scored 90+ percentile without it. What I don't understand is that you say you didn't have funds to purchase Dr. Collins yet you could afford to take the PCATS twice (2x$200). You can easily just go on the Free Classified thread and buy it for $100-150 if you really wanted to. I'm even having problems getting rid of my packet at that price :mad:

Not to sound harsh but I feel people should do their homework before taking the PCATs and avoid spending anymore $ than necessary. After taking my PCATs in July I asked another taker how he did. Apparently he didn't do well and said he only wanted to see how the test was like. There goes $200 + time and money getting there. My incentive to do well was not only to increase my chances of getting accepted, but also to make sure the money I spent on the test itself and study material wasn't wasted.

Can't really answer your question though on which schools don't weigh PCATs as strongly. Some schools have a 50 percentile minimum and some as high as 70+ so just do some research and good luck.:thumbup:

You should probably study more if you've gotten low scores consistently :rolleyes:

With that attitude, perhaps a career change is in order. Just wait until Organic Chem where each exam requires several days of studying.

i believe MCPHS school in worchester does not need it either. there aer many more schools you need to look thought the pharmacy school guide. there are some that do not require pcat scores at all. and they accept you as long as your gpa is liek 3.0 and you have worked as pham tech and do some pre-reqs before.

Good luck.

if you apply to a non pcat school, and you have taken the pcat, will the non pcat school then consider your pcat score for application if it is good or bad score?

if you apply to a non pcat school, and you have taken the pcat, will the non pcat school then consider your pcat score for application if it is good or bad score?

I believe this depends on the school. The most common answer is "no," from what I've seen, but my sources are tertiary at best.

It definitely depends on your definition of "low". I scored above 50%, I wasn't impressed with my score, but I made it into my first (and only) school of choice.

there is too many options for non-pcat colleges, as i know there is about 15 pharmacy colleges in USA that not pcat required, it is like a balance they don't ask for the pcat but at the same time they ask for more requirements than the pcat requires schools, for example first thing they will look at it having a bachelor degree in any filed, GPA, pre-pharmacy , experiment, recommendations.
my self i have too many pcat concerns, not because i don't study, in fact I'm very good in math, biology and chemistry i can overcome them easily, but my English not good because it is not my native language especially when it comes to writing section and the essay.
never give up I'm 34 years old i been in USA for 7 months, have beautiful family, and i will do what ever it takes just to get there. :)

Non-PCAT schools (ex. the ones in CA) don't consider scores regardless of what you got. As far as which schools accept low scores, you can look at the pharmcas website and research each school's minimum composite score.

What schools did he get in?
My GPA Is 3.6
Overall Pcat is 20
i have 300 plus hours volunteering at a hospital
n also im a foreigner with a toefl score of 95
What are my chances?

Do u think i can get in at kentcuky with 20 % overall....???
i have 3.6 GPA
n some experience